Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY Door Trim Discoloration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's my 2 cents. I'd say stay away from machine washes. I just took the time to wash my MY at home using professional grade soap, glass cleaner. etc. Everything was fine with the trim until I let one side of the car dry up (I never, ever wash my car under direct sunlight either). I did notice that just the calcium from the hard-water easily causes faint water spots to form on the trim. Nothing a little bit of foam-based glass cleaner couldn't remove but I can only imagine what those harsh, highly acidic chemicals will do to the trim finish.

• Helpful
  • Funny
Reactions: OverEZPZ and Sebat4
I wish I had found this topic yesterday. I just washed my brand new MY at a touch free car wash this morning. I have the same trim discoloration. I'll try the WD-40 first.

As for the suggestion to wash by hand. I will do that until winter arrives here in the Northeast. After that, I'll have no choice but to use a machine wash. I'm not going to wash by hand in subfreezing temperatures, and I'm not going to leave the car covered in road salt for 6 months of the year.

Reactions: KevinT3141
I too had these stains or deposits on the black window trim of my MY, picked up on 7/18. Essentially all MYs in the lot had similar stains. The SC guys had no solution to offer. Once home with the car, I tried a non-corrosive metal cleaner, claimed good for aircraft parts; helped a bit but is not a solution. Next I used a spray-on “detail” spray, intended for painted surfaces; did not help. Finally, I used Meguiar’s Cleaner-Wax which easily removed all the stains! Being a “Cleaner” wax, I’d normally only use this for stubborn stains or for old dulled finishes. Applied it with a cloth, careful not to get into crevasses. Once removed it leaves a slippery waxed finish so may help prevent future deposits. I only wash our cars at home and have only done the MY twice, so have little experience on how permanent this “fix” is.

I too had these stains or deposits on the black window trim of my MY, picked up on 7/18. Essentially all MYs in the lot had similar stains. The SC guys had no solution to offer. Once home with the car, I tried a non-corrosive metal cleaner, claimed good for aircraft parts; helped a bit but is not a solution. Next I used a spray-on “detail” spray, intended for painted surfaces; did not help. Finally, I used Meguiar’s Cleaner-Wax which easily removed all the stains! Being a “Cleaner” wax, I’d normally only use this for stubborn stains or for old dulled finishes. Applied it with a cloth, careful not to get into crevasses. Once removed it leaves a slippery waxed finish so may help prevent future deposits. I only wash our cars at home and have only done the MY twice, so have little experience on how permanent this “fix” is.

Paste or liquid?

... Finally, I used Meguiar’s Cleaner-Wax which easily removed all the stains! Being a “Cleaner” wax, I’d normally only use this for stubborn stains or for old dulled finishes. Applied it with a cloth, careful not to get into crevasses. Once removed it leaves a slippery waxed finish so may help prevent future deposits. I only wash our cars at home and have only done the MY twice, so have little experience on how permanent this “fix” is.

Very helpful info. What the MY community needs is something that, while the Y is new, and still black, can cover and seal the trim and door handles completely to help prevent the staining semi-long term until a permanent solution is found. Permanent might mean Tesla has to use a different trim.

It's actually not plastic, it's anodized aluminum.
I’ve read that the black trim was painted, but maybe that was only the door handles.
Have any of your other cars had anodized aluminum trim?

Anodized aluminum is a very common finish on cars, but usually it’s for bright work (chrome look), not necessarily black.

The rainbow looks like a residue of oil. I could conjecture about the anodized liquids not being completely cleaned in process by Tesla’s trim supplier, but just that would be jumping to conclusions.

it could just be something g related to The car wash cleaners used. Or something coming out of the trim.

Clean it off using the methods mentioned and keep an eye on the trim for corrosion in the future.

Tesla will not replace the trim because of this if it cleans off. No way.

• Love
Reactions: trmmcd
Orange degreaser from Chemical Guys worked well for me. You can even see the blue chemical wipe off onto the cloth.

Attachments

• 20200809_113452.jpg
    20200809_113452.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 828
  • IMG_20200809_154529_580.jpg
    IMG_20200809_154529_580.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 717
  • IMG_20200809_154548_287.jpg
    IMG_20200809_154548_287.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 718
So will getting ceramic done to the trim prevent this? I was going to go through the touchless today but after seeing this thread I'm nervous to do it. I've only had my car a week. I do plan on getting ceramic done to the entire car in a week or so so Im thinking I should hold of carwashes untill then

From my histories with other cars, things like Back to Black and other similar coatings are just that, coatings. They are more about manipulating light reflectance and do not necessarily do more than masking the symptom. When I had this issue arise, I used the edge of a melamine sponge soaked with some Aero Cosmetics Wash & Wax (which I love) and then finished buffing with a microfiber towel. It's totally gone and still looks great after many weeks, rainstorms, a couple of washes, etc.

CAVEAT: Before this flames up, read up on melamine sponges before using them on anything automotive! They are priceless for tons of household tasks but only when used correctly.

A little WD40 combined with a spray wax worked 100% for us. All the discoloring and staining is gone, and left a nice shine. I did then go over it with a good spray wax and buff off. Back to factory look. I do know that if you leave it on for a while and in direct sun it can get worst. I’ve seen two model Y in my area where the trim is almost brown looking. Like how tires look when tire shine is never cleaned off before reapplying. Hope it helps.

Nothing chemical or otherwise worked for me. I found a perfect method that requires no chemicals or microfiber towels.

I found that sweat aided in the process so as your rubbing just touch your hand to the sweat of your brow. Sounds weird but it took me all of 5 minutes to restore all my trim.

oK that’s officially insane. Thanks for that tip even thought my black trim is flawless, but I have COPD and will eventually need to run my car through a car wash.

Read all these posts makes me not want to wash my car I'm scared of touching the car. All those videos about water based paint, clear coat sucking, now can't even go to a touchless carwash... It feels like a museum exhibit

Agree, actually it is quite fk-ing ridiculous. Among the issues at delivery and other issues a month into owning this POS, time will only tell the other problems 1-2 years into owning. Anyway by no means are most MYs even close to being decent considering the price and the panel gaps, different colored door panels/bumpers, and the general fit/finish.

Last edited:
I think we are being somewhat over dramatic and some of us need to grow the %÷×✓ up and be realistic.

The black trim is anodized which means that the color is not labeled "infinite color" and will most likely not survive harsh environments like a drive thru car wash or the vaccum of space

If you want to question how harsh a drive thru car wash is, imagine walking thru one with goggles.