Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Experience With EAP Suggests Not Only Won't FSD Go Up In Price, It's Going To Go Down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a robotaxi take some people to a rural area. A few hours later call for a car. Then toss a couple of Bambies in the back and head home. What happens when the GPS sends it down the wrong road
BREAKING NEWS
Watch presidential debate: Trump and Biden go head to head
NEWS
TRANSPORTATION

Google Maps error sends 100 drivers down muddy road — where some got stuck
pena.png

Dozens of drivers hoping to find a quicker route around an accident on Pena Boulevard on Sunday found themselves in a muddy mess.
By ASSOCIATED PRESS |
PUBLISHED: June 28, 2019 at 11:00 a.m. | UPDATED: June 28, 2019 at 11:03 a.m.
DENVER — Denver drivers using Google Maps to get to the city’s airport last weekend and trying to avoid a traffic jam were sent on a detour that took them down a narrow, muddy dirt road.

Connie Monsees told Denver7 there were about 100 cars on Sunday lined up on the road.

She says some cars got stuck behind others that could not move and that other vehicles could not make it across several deep ditches.

Monsees says she used her all-wheel drive vehicle to help two strangers get to the airport.

• Funny
Reactions: flyingowl
I made no claim that NYC is the perfect microcosm for the robo-taxi business model. And I do not believe individual car ownership is going away anytime soon for anyone willing to pay the premium to do so. But how about China? Brazil? India? Even if Americans are the hold-outs, generally speaking, the rest of the world has much fewer cars per citizen already and a natural fit for this model.

Americans generally have more cars because they're richer.

China is CRAZY to get individual cars now as their economy has improved- that's why everyone's rushing to get cars into that market.

And if you think it's gonna be a while before a big/good enough charging infrastructure is robotaxi ready in the US, china's WAY WAY WAY behind on that one.

The likelihood of Tesla reaching full autonomy and, consequently whether anyone else is close (i.e. Waymo) is an entirely different conversation. But for the record, a geofenced solution isn't a solution at all.

Sure it is.

you told us you thought urban cities were the primary initial adoption case.

So a robotaxi system geofenced to a city is exactly a solution for that.

Hell, most public transit is... a geofenced solution. It covers a very specific geographical area, usually no greater than the city itself.

You are incorrect on the range concerns. A 300mi range M3 will achieve that range +/- when it is driven in the exact manner that the EPA test cycle prescribes.

But that's not what we're talking about.

This includes a lot more freeway driving than many robo-taxi trips will require.

The EPA mileage for the Model 3 AWD is only about 6.5% better in city driving than highway driving.

The efficiency gap isn't nearly as large as you suggest.

See the 606mi M3 hypermiling range record for evidence of that effect. Obviously that can't be expected, but it illustrates the point.

It really doesn't though.

Those guys took 32 hours to go 606 miles, and that was with a cabin that got up to 108 degrees because they didn't run climate control either.

Seems like a pretty crap taxi ride, robo or otherwise.

Throw in continued effciency improvements via OAT updates and, for future models employing the latest battery tech

2-3 years for the new battery tech to be in mass production per Elon... guess that doesn't really fit with the "1 million robotaxis by end of this year" bit though does it?

Finally, I think we disconnected somewhere on who would be running the fleet of robo-taxis. Individual owners who opt-in to the Tesla fleet will not have pricing authority. They will not be in competition with each other

Of course they will.

The same rider can't ride in 2 taxis at the same time.

If my Tesla and yours are both in the network, and someone calls for a robotaxi, only 1 of us gets to pick them up.

if there's 100 tesla owners and only 50 riders, half the owners get nothing.

if Tesla executes to where they're building 20 million RT capable cars a year- there's just not enough riders to support that.

Nothing you've presented is entirely incorrect or not a concern. They're just all surmountable and FSD makes sense to buy now if you can. I won't respond again. So the last word is yours if you want it and feel the need to have it. Thanks for the discussion.

If your argument is "robotaxis will eventually be very successful" I agree.

If your argument is "robotaxis will replace a significant # of privately owned cars" I agree there too- as I said I expect families with for example 2 or 3 cars today will drop down to 1 or 2 in many cases.

If your argument is "eventually they'll figure out the charging and the cleaning and all the details of actually operating the RTs" I agree there too- I even suggested the human-attended L3 stations, and maybe even fleet-owner-operated ones- can help there.

But the idea everybody will be able to make $30,000/yr off their Tesla via robotaxi just doesn't hold up to math if we believe Tesla about how many cars a year they're planning to be making/selling later this decade.

Some people probably will. Fleet owners (or possibly Tesla themselves) probably will.

Both will likely remain a minority of owners though, certainly in our lifetimes anyway.

I thank you too for the discussion.

Nobody in their right mind should buy into FSD today as a future "investment". It pretty much amounts to a cash donation to Tesla in return for very little functionality and certainly nothing remotely close to an actual self-driving car. FSD is still at the "Pong" stage of development and robotaxi is not even remotely feasible yet.

IMHO the functionality that FSD does deliver and can realistically deliver in the next couple of years is not worth the current asking price. Obviously FSD buyers would disagree, which is fine by me. It's their money to spend whether they believe the future hype or simply find the current functionality invaluable as it stands. Approaching 3 years living with EAP has certainly taught me not to get too excited.

• Disagree
Reactions: mikes_fsd
IMHO the functionality that FSD does deliver and can realistically deliver in the next couple of years is not worth the current asking price. Obviously FSD buyers would disagree, which is fine by me. It's their money to spend whether they believe the future hype or simply find the current functionality invaluable as it stands. Approaching 3 years living with EAP has certainly taught me not to get too excited.

If they can tag along with the regulations so we can get legal level 3 on divided highways so the system is eyes off (meaning I can watch Netflix) I would pay 20k instantly for it. So the current FSD price would be a steal at that point, in my opinion of course. And I do believe that either they will have that within 2 years or Teslas approach going without LIDAR won’t work.

Last edited:
Ah, yes the market that explicitly crippled Autopilot is showing that the crippled Autopilot is not so good. (for reference Is European Legislation Crippling Tesla Autopilot? )

Yay for the wonderful regulations.

Still best in Safety Backup category.
The argument is not about whether they are good or the best -- the argument that is being made by many on this forum is that they are so far ahead of the pack that the gap can't be closed.

To be clear -- I love my car, its tech, its features and the way it drives.

I also believe other carmakers have materially closed the technology gap.

These things are not inconsistent or at odds with each other.

The argument is not about whether they are good or the best -- the argument that is being made by many on this forum is that they are so far ahead of the pack that the gap can't be closed.

To be clear -- I love my car, its tech, its features and the way it drives.

I also believe other carmakers have materially closed the technology gap.

These things are not inconsistent or at odds with each other.

Yes they are. They whine about the word "Autopilot" as the name and the fact that the wheel has resistance when driver wants to intervene.
Tesla Model 3 gets penalized in Europe despite top scores in vehicle assistance and safety
Technical Ability is 91 and Safety Backup is 95 higher than their chosen #1

Even more interesting is that part of the Model 3’s poor “Driver Engagement” scores was due to the term “Autopilot,” which Tesla uses to describe its driver-assist suite. The evaluators argued that the term “Autopilot” was misleading and irresponsible on Tesla’s part, and this was heavily taken against the Model 3’s rankings in the Assisted Driving Grading system.
model-3-scores.jpg

If you look at the actual safety and driving behavior scores, Model 3 ranks highest with 95%. You can view the individual vehicle data sheets from Euro NCAP Launches Assisted Driving Grading

Notably, Autopilot lost the most points in 4 "driver engagement" categories:
-15 points "consumer information" for having the name "Autopilot"
-8.5 points "system status" for not having heads up display
-15 points "driver monitoring" for not using the internal camera
-25 points "driving collaboration" for turning off Autopilot when the driver takes over

Reactions: mikes_fsd
The Model 3 will NOT be the robo-taxi of the future for many reasons, including the points you make. But it's one of the vehicles that bridges the gap to the TAAS reality. Once function over form rules the form factor decision because of the underlying economics and the eventual end to having to appeal to the egos of car 'buyers', the robotaxi of the future will look something more like that model, for which Tesla will have models ready for production... That's quite a ways off, however. Perhaps GM is smart in working on this design now, expecting to license FSD from Tesla?
When I picked up my leased 2020 M3, I asked why the lease agreement does not allow me to purchase the car at the end of the lease. I was told that all the lease returns were going become an “autonomous” fleet.

Other responses

Tesla will not allow you to buy the car at end of lease?

When I picked up my leased 2020 M3, I asked why the lease agreement does not allow me to purchase the car at the end of the lease. I was told that all the lease returns were going become an “autonomous” fleet.

Other responses

Tesla will not allow you to buy the car at end of lease?

Yes, because they stand to make more money from operating it as robo-taxi than selling it to you at that point. All Tesla vehicles with the proper hardware (everything being manufactured currently and for the last few years) and software license (FSD), whether owned by individuals, fleet owners or Tesla themselves, will and should be used as robo-taxis when it is possible. It will be their highest-and-best use and individual owners with capable cars who opt out of participation are either to wealthy for their own good or just really bad with money.

My statement about M3 or MY or ANY currently manufactured Tesla not being the ultimate robo-taxi of the FUTURE pertains to the fact that, once individuals are no longer buyers of vehicles but consumers of transportation-as-a-service at a cost well below individual car ownership, the "ego" no longer needs to be catered to. This means that comfort and practicality will be more important than how the vehicle looks or performs and the form factor will change to meet that demand. During the transition to that model, however, there will be individual car owners who's egos must be marketed to, hence the need for a bitchin' Tesla design with kick-ass performance to be sold and 'finance' the transition to autonomous vehicles. Just because they aren't the ideal robo-taxi form factor doesn't mean they won't work as one until the end of its useful life (1 million miles?) and a new generation is developed...

My statement about M3 or MY or ANY currently manufactured Tesla not being the ultimate robo-taxi of the FUTURE pertains to the fact that, once individuals are no longer buyers of vehicles but consumers of transportation-as-a-service at a cost well below individual car ownership, the "ego" no longer needs to be catered to.

Also the fact a lot of folks believe no currently manufactured Tesla has a sensor suite sufficient to do the job.

Without getting into that debate, if that ends up being the case, Tesla will owe everyone who bought FSD the additional hardware, just like how they are replacing the Autopilot Computers as they continue to improve them.
Extensive argument about that here: Blog - Musk Touts 'Quantum Leap" in Full Self-Driving Performance
Summary: Tesla has actually sold three versions of "FSD" and they almost certainly don't owe the most recent purchasers any more hardware.

Extensive argument about that here: Blog - Musk Touts 'Quantum Leap" in Full Self-Driving Performance
Summary: Tesla has actually sold three versions of "FSD" and they almost certainly don't owe the most recent purchasers any more hardware.

Yup... they'd probably owe the pre-March-2019 buyers upgrades, but that's already gonna be a minority of owners, and an increasingly tiny minority going forward.

As long as the car can do some version of L2 autosteer on city streets they'll owe the majority of FSD buyers nothing else at all even if they never do any better.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
The video to me is a promise.
But is it legally a promise? Tesla clearly doesn't think so, otherwise they wouldn't have changed the order page but left the video up. Also note how the wording next to the video has changed to "dependent on achieving." I'm sure if they achieve true FSD with the current hardware they will give it to everyone with the current hardware.

But is it legally a promise? Tesla clearly doesn't think so, otherwise they wouldn't have changed the order page but left the video up. Also note how the wording next to the video has changed to "dependent on achieving." I'm sure if they achieve true FSD with the current hardware they will give it to everyone with the current hardware.

I'm not seeing that in the video in the "learn more about autopilot section of the Model 3 information page", and instead the text simply says.

"All Tesla vehicles have the hardware needed in the future for full self-driving in almost all circumstances, at a safety level we believe will be at least twice as good as the average human driver. "

As to the order page from my recollection Tesla usually keeps it to things that are pending in the near term.

Like I said before there is a huge hole between the text on the order page, and the video.

My interpretation is the video is just as much of a promise as the text. Nothing in the text says that what's shown in the video isn't the goal.

The order page is the only thing that has a disclaimer.

"The currently enabled features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous. The activation and use of these features are dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience, as well as regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions. As these self-driving features evolve, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates."

But, they've always had the regulatory disclaimer. They're likely going to use the regulatory argument as the get out of jail free card, and not the order page. Plus Elon has tweeted a lot about it, and it's my understanding that his twitter is an official company outlet.