Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

mY Express Pickup experience & waiting for a full PPF wrap...Super excited!

Was your pick-up experience good, both pre and day of (compared to typical car dealerships)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model Y express pick up @ Fremont factory: total experience was pretty awesome.
- had lots of email and text message reminders and helpful messages pre-pick up
- Tesla made tasks like upload of licenses, insurance, loan application as well as the final payment (literally select your bank icon and log into your back and select account to pay final balance...took 10 seconds to do) sooooo incredibly simple and hassle free. I absolutely loved that! They made the buying experience so much better than I have ever experienced in my life with all the cars have bought before. There was a prepaid Fed Ex with final registration papers to sign and send out for next day. They highlight all places for you to sign In the docs so you don’t miss anything. I will never want to go back to the old school way of doing a car purchase at a dealership after these two experiences (previously in June 2018 picked up my model 3 and now our model Y both at Fremont).
- Tesla had a person call me when I needed to ask some follow up questions the 2 weeks before pick up. They were super response. I had questions about payment, whether they covered GAP insurance, and some clarifications o. Their email describing the Express pick up
- day of pick up, showed up at factory show room area around 3pm on June 19, spent 30 min looking over our new mY, supercharged for 15 min to get enough charge to get to next destination and home later. Lot was quiet with about 4 other groups picking up their cars
- I am good with express pick up. Would have been nice to maybe talk to someone for a bit. I preferred that experience just a bit more because I could talk to someone from Tesla. Also think if you are a first time Tesla owner, a pick up with ability to talk with someone for maybe 30 min or so would be nicer.
- drove car straight to Aux Auto in San Mateo for a full PPF wrap. Can’t wait to see car again!

How much was the full PPF wrap? Xpel or Stek?
~$6k for full wrap on model Y. Aux auto in San Mateo also wrapped my piano black console with clear PPF so won’t get scratched and stays beautiful and shiny! Wrap is 3M brand. I know it works great because I have the same full wrap on my model 3 for 2 years now. I have had my front bumper hit by another car, people likely rammed their shopping carts into my car ...and normally would have definitely scratched my paint...but the 3M PPF film did an awesome job to protect my car in all of those instances!

Picked my fully PPF wrapped (3M) model Y....including the black shiny piano black console...which I want to stay shiny and scratch free......from Aux Auto In San Mateo A few days ago. I had bought 2 strips of this clear film stuff , looks like PPF...for the door sills, and they also installed that for me. Just a note that since the model Y door sills are this matte black, once the branded door sill pieces have the PPF on them, it is really hard to see the black colored text “ Model Y”. I would still prefer to keep the wrap on them though because those door sill areas get scuffed from shoes....when getting in the car.
Model Y looks great!
I also had a ceramic coat put on top of the PPF for the Y and so far I have noticed that stuff like bugs and similar are much easier to clean off than on my model 3 which one has the PPF film. I was expecting the ceramic coating to keep the car cleaner longer, but nice to see in person and have my model 3 to compare. We park both cars outside and so they can get quite dusty!
Now have to wait 2 weeks before washing the car.. .. so that the PPF and ceramic coating are all cured .....will be a difficult wait for me.
I am going to monitor the ceramic coating in the next month, and if I really feel like it made a difference to keep the car clean longer, I may bring my model 3 (black/black interior lrm3) back to the guys @Aux auto to add a ceramic coat to the top of my PPF.

I am a huge fan of PPF...have had the 3M PPF on my model 3 for two years now. I have had a number of things happen where the PPF film protected my paint from getting scratched....another car hit my front bumper and tore/ literally peeled up the wrap in a few places, careless people with their grocery shopping carts hit my car, someone opening their door and hitting my car, rocks hitting car on I-80 are crazy.....all that in 2 years and I don’t have scratched from any of those incidences ( fingers crossed that the PPF continues to do its job). I know some people only do a partial wrap, but I definitely think a full car wrap is worth it. I have had rocks on the highway hit the side of my car as well as the back bumper ...I-80 in California is terrible!

Got it. I saw Early model Ys had holes in the trunk and frunk for the emblems. Hopefully that won’t be the case with my build.
My guess would be that Tesla prefers to have the logo on the cars, so the model Y has gone to a through hole install, making it more difficult to go pure stealth emblem-less.
Mine went without the "dual motor" but has the logos installed.