Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My feet are freezing!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree this is nuts, as "climate control" to me having owned Lexus, BMW and MBZ also means "set it and forget it" -- which I have done in perhaps 20 years of previous luxury vehicles, almost never touching the controls again year-round except in very unusual situations.

I personally hope each and every person posting problems here have also officially reported it to Tesla, and have the issue documented as part of a service order. THANK YOU to everyone that has. IMHO, taking that step is the only chance we have of someday getting resolution to some of these nagging non-sexy and not-in-the-Press problems.

I also have the cold driver feet problem on long trips in our new 70D (delivery 12/21/15 running latest 7.1 build). I'm willing to give the suggestions a try and manually set things but I am a little distressed that I can't set it and forget it. This isn't "new" tech IMO...

61AHxl3OOTL._SL1001_.jpg
electric socks could help :scared:

• Informative
Reactions: ig_epower
The heater in 7.0 didn't work great, but was passable for my driving situations. I've definitely noticed worse heater performance going from 7.0 to 7.1!

The earlier flavors of 7.0 were abysmal, but they fixed it a bit with later releases. So far, I have found 7.1 to be about the same as the last version of 7.0 that I had.

As was mentioned previously, Tesla has gone back to overdoing "recirculate" (as was the case 2 winters ago) which is downright dangerous. Windows fog up horribly when you use recirculate in the cold. I have mine set to A/C Off, Recirculate Off, and I leave Mode and Fan on Auto. I have Fan Speed mapped to my right scroll wheel and can bump the fan up as necessary, then press it to put it back in Auto. For the most part, Auto Mode has been working okay for me.

Probably doesn't apply to the OP, but for people with older cars it might be applicable -- there is a service bulletin for an improved airflow cover for the drivers (left) foot-well vents. The service center installed it when I complained that the driver's side foot-well wasn't blowing as much less air than the passenger side, and it has helped a lot. (Didn't fix the software problems, but 2.9.68 seems to be a bit better at heating my car than 2.7.56 and 2.7.77)

I just asked my SvC and they are unaware of this. THey are willing to look to see if my early 2013 can get this. Do you have any more details? Perhaps from your service invoice when yours applied it? Thanks in advance!

2.9.68 Seemed OK with the heat (yes and it's actually cold here, none of this California "oh it's a chilly 50F outside and the seat heater and cabin heater work perfectly").

Was seeing strange behavior with 7.1 yesterday while driving. Had to keep turning it up and wasn't blowing hard/hot. But preheat from the app has worked with appropriate settings under 7.1.

edit - really the advantage of electric heat is how fast it responds. It should be drawing 6kW and blowing hot air almost immediately. There is no efficiency gain to be had by slow ramp. So wtf.

I keep my heat at 67 and Auto and I think it's doing a great job. I used to have to fidget with it, but after some update (maybe 7.0?) it became leave it and forget it.

Also I'm positive I have hot airflow going to the feet, my feet aren't cold, and I dropped my messenger bag into the passanger footwell, when I got to work it was warm to the touch (hot air was 100% blowing at it).

Can you attest to this behavior on longer trips?

I've noticed that my car heats up quicker since 7.0, especially preheating. But on the one long trip I've taken since 7.0 the heat did become less effective over time and my feet were cold by time I arrived.

Can you attest to this behavior on longer trips?

I've noticed that my car heats up quicker since 7.0, especially preheating. But on the one long trip I've taken since 7.0 the heat did become less effective over time and my feet were cold by time I arrived.

That could be it.

I haven't taken any long trips with 7.1 yet. My daily one-way commute is less than 15miles, so maybe my trips are just too short.

With v7, I did a lot of long distance driving, and I don't remember my feet getting cold... (though it only recently got cold here, and I might not have traveled long distance in the cold).

As soon as I got 7.0, the heat started going flaky on me. I visited a Service Center and they put in multiple upgrades of 7.0.x and nothing helped.

When I installed 7.1, the progression from former glorious heat to current occasional heat continued. The progression got so bad that a couple days ago, when it was 9ºF out in the morning, the car was only pumping out frigid air, even 20-30 mins after starting to drive.

Tesla finally relented and decided to order a replacement heating unit from the factory, and I've got a Ranger coming today or tomorrow to install the new heating unit in the car.

Hoping this solves the problem.

Of course: Murphy's Law being what it is, I drove this morning and the heating worked FINE! Argh. However: the difference was, it's warmer today.... temps in the high 20s this morning, not single digits. I think this has something to do with it....

I just asked my SvC and they are unaware of this. THey are willing to look to see if my early 2013 can get this. Do you have any more details? Perhaps from your service invoice when yours applied it? Thanks in advance!

Concern: Perform Service Bulletin: Model S | SB-13-18-002 | Footwell Cover Update for Improved Air Flow

Corrections: Replace LH Footwell Cover

Replaced Left Footwell cover with an updated version to increase air flow.

Part
PLASTICS SUB ASY - COVER FOOT WELL LEFT (1016340-00-F)

Pay Type: Warranty

The vents in my old version didn't line up with the holes in the cover (I could reach into them and feel it wasn't aligned / passenger side they felt aligned and airflow was good). I assume some of the air was getting channeled into the dash (and not toward my feet) because of this. The new cover lines up with the vents, and I can actually feel air blowing on my feet now.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo