Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My first long road trip question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know gas cars like an ideal 55-65 speed limit for best MPG, etc etc. and gets worse the faster you go, is that the same for Tesla? I have RWD LR and I know the map/car shows estimated mileage/battery. Is it pretty accurate? I will be going 83 most of the way (the speed limit). Will I get worse mileage even though the Tesla will predict a certain mileage/battery amount?

That’s like the ideal speed range for the model 3 too but it’s been tested that for the least overall travel time, drive as fast as you’re comfortable with and just charge when needed. The charge estimate that the navigation shows is pretty accurate and updates in real time but I like to keep a buffer of at least 10% normally and 20% on empty highways.

Last edited:
I know gas cars like an ideal 55-65 speed limit for best MPG, etc etc. and gets worse the faster you go, is that the same for Tesla? I have RWD LR and I know the map/car shows estimated mileage/battery. Is it pretty accurate? I will be going 83 most of the way (the speed limit). Will I get worse mileage even though the Tesla will predict a certain mileage/battery amount?
Yes, a Tesla is the same as any other vehicle that has to power through the air. The faster you go, the more energy is used pushing the air aside. For a long trip I recommend using A Better Route Planner to estimate your charging needs. You can input your speed, added weight, and other variables to get a very accurate plan for your trip.

Set your Tesla Nav to your destination and see what it takes to get to those Superchargers at your initial 100% of charge and also use A Better Route Planner to compare notes. ABRP is very accurate.

I always deduct 40 miles from my start range at 100% especially if you’re doing over 75mph.

It is safer to always start slow in the beginning and check your percentage on arrival as you get closer and then later you can push it when you know you will be arriving with plenty of juice like 10 - 15% and by slow I mean 70 - 75mph to start, If you start at 83mph, you might not make it. Ether way the Tesla Nav will tell you to slow it down. So for your first trips, go easy.

One last tip: make sure you check those Superchargers ahead because some times they are down for maintenance so you need to look for a plan B.

Fred

At 83 mph in summer temperatures the car’s range will likely be ~200 miles. If your route includes Supercharger locations, just use the car’s NAV to tell you when and where to charge, and perhaps charge 5-10% more than it suggests at each stop to give yourself some buffer.

ICE sedans are most efficient at around 40-60mph

EVs are most efficient at around 25mph. they have more rapid losses going up towards highway speeds.

the built in car computers are accurate assuming you drive the posted speed limits. for each leg, aim to arrive at chargers at 15%, or, at MINIMUM, 10%... theres enough realistic variance that you can end up +/- 5%

50abtTy.png

Tesla_3_LR-Tesla_P3D-Tesla_S100D_efficiency_metric.png.78cb018e350cb4396263d576a005abb2.png

• Informative
Reactions: Pricedm
We just completed a 965 mile (1,550km) road trip
SR M3 pulling a loaded open utility trailer on the highway -
Montreal - Toronto , Canada return.
Conditions.......
Mostly flat terrain
no heat or air con
trailer weight with load (aprox 800 lbs)
Speed between - 58 - 63 mph - (95 - 100 kmph)

We could count on only 1/2 the distances
that the navigator was suggesting.
Be conservative on the first few legs between the superchargers
until you get a feel for it.
Have a great trip

Will I get worse mileage even though the Tesla will predict a certain mileage/battery amount?
The rated miles is based on EPA testing. It works out to ~ 65 mph without a headwind. At 83 mph your full battery goes ~ 200 -- 230 miles without a headwind. You cannot rely on the car's estimate of how much energy to take on at a supercharger because you are driving much faster than the car presumes.

So e.g:
Say you have a 150 mile drive on level terrain and no headwind until the next charging stop. That is 150/215 = 70% of the battery at 83 mph. Add on 10% for safety reserve. You have to charge up to 80% SoC. As mentioned, ABRP will do these calcs for you if you put in the correct speeds. Do keep in mind though that NO calculator knows about wind, rain, sleet, snow or your air conditioning use.

Use the energy graph while driving to have confidence you will not run out of energy, and if the car tells you to slow down to conserve energy, heed the advice.

Last edited:

In Utah, with it's 80 mph speed limits, large altitude changes, and high winds, you have to go on experience. But the charging infrastructure is pretty good now. My last Utah trip went into violent headwinds (early Sept) and drove consumption to over 550 Wh/mi or about 1/2 the advertised range. But that really didn't hurt us that bad, there is enough Superchargers to do the job.

Plan to use up to twice the advertised power to play it safe. If you want extra insurance, buy the CHAdeMO adapter so you can use CCS/CHAdeDO sites which are more plentiful than SC sites.

PS - Your Navigation system estimates are pretty good even in the worst conditions. IIRC, the EPA numbers are intended to be humorous; they are mocking our bureaucracy.

Plan C: Carry a solid extension cord, adapters, and remove all political markings.

If you're driving around Zion and Bryce get to know St George - it's the only Supercharger in the area.

BTW, had a unique event at the St George Supercharger. We had been waiting politely on the side for our turn, and were starting to pull into position when a guy in a model S with Nevada plates veered in to grab the spot ahead of us and wasn't backing off. My wife started honking continuously, displaying an angry finger and managed to scare him off. There's a first time for everything.

Last edited:
On a road trip, what you're seeking is usually the minimum time to get from point A to point B. In a gas car, this is generally accomplished by driving as fast as you can get away with. Yes, that uses more fuel, but refueling time is not appreciably affected.

It's different in an EV because recharge time is a significant portion of the overall trip time. Driving faster is less efficient, resulting in more charging time. But of course, driving slower means slower travel overall even if you save energy. Thus, there is a balancing point where you're driving fast enough to cut the driving time down, but slow enough to not appreciably increase the charging time at superchargers.

In the Model 3, that balanced speed where the overall trip will take minimum time is about 72 MPH, and you couple this with driving on the bottom of the battery: i.e. Navigate such that you arrive at each supercharger with 10%-15% battery remaining, then charging speed will be maximum, reducing charging time. Charge only enough to reach the next supercharger (generally between 50%-70%). Charging speed slows down as your battery state gets above 55-60%, so you don't want to spend time charging above that level if you can help it.

On a road trip, what you're seeking is usually the minimum time to get from point A to point B. In a gas car, this is generally accomplished by driving as fast as you can get away with. Yes, that uses more fuel, but refueling time is not appreciably affected.

It's different in an EV because recharge time is a significant portion of the overall trip time. Driving faster is less efficient, resulting in more charging time. But of course, driving slower means slower travel overall even if you save energy. Thus, there is a balancing point where you're driving fast enough to cut the driving time down, but slow enough to not appreciably increase the charging time at superchargers.

In the Model 3, that balanced speed where the overall trip will take minimum time is about 72 MPH, and you couple this with driving on the bottom of the battery: i.e. Navigate such that you arrive at each supercharger with 10%-15% battery remaining, then charging speed will be maximum, reducing charging time. Charge only enough to reach the next supercharger (generally between 50%-70%). Charging speed slows down as your battery state gets above 55-60%, so you don't want to spend time charging above that level if you can help it.

Good advice, the only thing I would be worried about is getting to a charger at 10%-15% and find out its faulty

If you have Premium Connectivity anyway, the M3's display shows the actual real-time status of each Supercharger, how many stalls are available and how many are in use, so I wouldn't expect a faulty Supercharger station to escape notice.

I don't know if that's true without the Premium Connectivity that displays real-time traffic status, satellite view etc. At $10/mo it provides so many benefits that it seems silly not to have it. For instance, Superchargers in some locations are hidden in a parking lot maze, and having the overhead satellite view is almost essential to finding them.

• Love
Reactions: Spydaw
I’ve had faulty stations that don’t show as faulty in the car. But as long as you’re not towing something the car absolutely adjusts remaining range fairly accurately. I’d leave a 10% buffer and 20% if elevation is in the mix.

• Love
Reactions: Spydaw
Plan C: Carry a solid extension cord, adapters, and remove all political markings.

If you're driving around Zion and Bryce get to know St George - it's the only Supercharger in the area.

BTW, had a unique event at the St George Supercharger. We had been waiting politely on the side for our turn, and were starting to pull into position when a guy in a model S with Nevada plates veered in to grab the spot ahead of us and wasn't backing off. My wife started honking continuously, displaying an angry finger and managed to scare him off. There's a first time for everything.

They need a better location for the St George SC. It's a mess. It's hard to form a line since it has two entrances and a big coffee line at the same time. Starbucks doesn't let you use the restroom (but the BBQ place does). The site is hard to access, and a good distance from the freeway. We've been planning our routes to jump over it after two less than acceptable outcomes (slow speed, queue line mess)

Just drove WY to MN and back.

On the way out I used A Better Route Planner and was very comfortable with the additional stop is suggested as compared to my Model 3's route plan. Lots of 80mph+ driving and it was quite comfortable.

On the way home I decided to let my car plan my route. One less charge stop, some aggressive driving on my part, and temps which dropped caused me to roll into one remote Supercharger below 10%.

I too like to watch both the main screen battery mileage estimate and the more detailed energy graph estimate.

It would be nice if the car would allow me to adjust its calculation by specifying a minimum change upon arrival at the next Supercharger. That way if I know it is going to get cold the car can adjust charge levels or even the route before I start the next leg of the trip.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
Orange County to Las Vegas is pretty easy. Most hotels in Las Vegas have free parking. Worst case, there is a supercharger & wall connector station near the Linq Ferris Wheel.

Going from OC to Phoenix Arizona may need two stops though. And in Phoenix, there are only 3 supercharging spots so you wanna try have a full charge when you enter the city if you don't wanna stop too much.

The Linq spot is very handy, and it's right next to the Harrah's parking lot that's
free at the moment. If you plan to stay in Las Vegas get your room reserved
on-line, even if it's in the parking garage. Once they have you in their clutches
at the check-in desk, forget about those promised good rates. They even add
an extra $45 "hotel fee". What IS a "hotel fee" for/by a hotel???

@JetFalcon why do you say "enter the city" with a full charge? isn't Phoenix his
destination?

@eHaw is it getting too cold to enjoy vacationing from Calif to the East Coast?