Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My fourth, and final, door handle has died

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
My car is now 8 years old - Model S P85D. I had two door handles stop presenting in the first four years while still under warranty. Another handle died a couple of years ago. Just in the last week or so the passenger rear died.

This seems to happen more in the winter - do Canadians have more issues with this than Americans due to the motors having to work harder when you have some icing on the door?

Do other Canadians with > 5 year old Model Ss have similar experiences to me?

Currently my passenger rear Gen3 door handle does not present. It's a Gen3 because the 2019 accident door replacement body shop installed that. I suspect a broken paddle gear. I have 2 new ones in stock. Also driver side rear door handle refuses to retract intermittently. A car wash resurrects its function. It's too cold these days to tackle them.

I managed to get 5 years on a 2017 S without any issues before trade-in. To be honest, I always cringed when they presented after breaking through the ice. That said, there weren't that many days where there was ice and sometimes I was smart enough to get a pitcher of warm water to pour over it before bringing keys toward it.

Reactions: mrElbe
Wouldn't you know that on the weekend I had the driver's door handle die. That makes five of them - this is the second time for the driver's door handle. It wasn't icey when it died this time - it seemed to die after I stopped at the Belleville SC on my way to Ottawa.

the oem paddle gears use a plastic bushings and zinc for the paddle gear. after my 2nd handle broke i decided to make some out of marine stainless steel and copper bushings. i've got still got a bunch of them if anyone is interested

Attachments

• doorhandlegear.jpg
    doorhandlegear.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 75
Reactions: TrevTremaine