Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My friend got (temporarily) auto-pilot banned within the first 24 hours of ownership LOL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is too good not to share. My very good friend (and my first referral) picked up his gorgeous blacked out X100D yesterday. Today he is on his first road trip with his wife about 45 minutes away to enjoy the new ride. I myself have only been an owner of a X100D for 4 months and frequent the forums. I have been prepping him since his order with lessons and explanations. I told him that auto pilot was really a co-pilot and that he must pay attention at all times, etc. I explained what happens if you do not hold the wheel when warned. I explained the system multiple times about the 2 visual warnings, the final audible warning, and the penalty for non-compliance.

I went to pick up the car with him yesterday. I told him to pay attention and not be distracted. I told him to learn the car in his driveway parked and to PAY ATTENTION.

Today I stopped by to give him a microfiber towel and some water-less wash-wax to hold him over until he gets his own supplies. As he prepared to leave, I told him again to pay attention. To hold the wheel. I had a vision of what was about to happen.

And LOL it happened. He got banned by the auto-pilot for not holding the wheel after three warnings. It will reset when he puts it in Park at his destination but its just funny that I saw him doing exactly what I thought would happen. I am still LMFAO.

Last edited:
This is too good not to share. My very good friend (and my first referral) picked up his gorgeous blacked out X100D yesterday. Today he is on his first road trip with his wife about 45 minutes away to enjoy the new ride. I myself have only been an owner of a X100D for 4 months and frequent the forums. I have been prepping him since his order with lessons and explanations. I told him that auto pilot was really a co-pilot and that he must pay attention at all times, etc. I explained what happens if you do not hold the wheel when warned. I explained the system multiple times about the 2 visual warnings, the final audible warning, and the penalty for non-compliance.

I went to pick up the car with him yesterday. I told him to pay attention and not be distracted. I told him to learn the car in his driveway parked and to PAY ATTENTION.

Today I stopped by to give him a microfiber towel and some water-less wash-wax to hold him over until he gets his own supplies. As he prepared to leave, I told him again to pay attention. To hold the wheel. I had a vision of what was about to happen.

And LOL it happened. He got banned by the auto-pilot for not holding the wheel after three warnings. It will reset when he puts it in Park at his destination but its just funny that I saw him doing exactly what I thought would happen. I am still LMFAO.

Your buddy is going to trade his X in the moment Tesla rolls out "driver attentiveness" based on facial recognizance/other factors.
That's another referral coming your way.. ;)

I've seen people roll with AP on and their face buried into a phone on local streets. No awareness of outside world.

The orange trick didn’t work for me. I don’t really mind the nags, they don’t seem to occur too often. I have ADD so I need all the help I can get.

My brother got “banned” the first time he drove my car. I wasn’t a very good teacher. It was funny to watch him with AP. He was never able to let the car brake on it’s own in traffic.

aww, he just got a temp ban. From that title I was trying to imagine hour you get a permanent ban from Tesla Autopilot. Seriously need to add "temp" to the title of this thread.

I can't edit it now. All good. The first 24 hours of a Tesla can be very overwhelming for anyone. He's a very good driver and one of us now. It's funny because it will be a memory. He's already looking at accessories and chrome delete and all that. Let's let him in... He will be a great owner he will make us proud. I'll get him to register and post here this week to say hello.

The car beeps and nags about you not leaving your hands on the wheel, you have to do it on purpose to not do so...

Not if your like @Electroman and myself, having ADD. We can totally tune out just about everything - like sometimes living in another world. We're physically in one place, but our mind is totally somewhere else. AP is a God send for us.

So the new cars do still beep? Mine has never beeped ever. All I get is the popup flag and then the white circle of doom. If I’m not watching or have my eyes caught by the flashing, it’s all over too. Never been kicked out yet, but who knows.

I’ve seen some recent YouTubes where there’s no noise either. Wonder what’s up here.

Not if your like @Electroman and myself, having ADD. We can totally tune out just about everything - like sometimes living in another world. We're physically in one place, but our mind is totally somewhere else. AP is a God send for us.

We are never gonna have nice things if you guys keep acting irresponsibility no offense.

I have an issue with falling asleep when I drive, so I feel you about having issues, not trying to be insensitive.