Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My friend's model X crashed using AP yesterday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So now that we know where it is, there is no way I would drive with autopilot engaged on that road: a two lane road with no shoulder and a steep embankment to the right, particularly at 55 - 60 MPH (as the driver says) just after passing a winding road ahead sign with a 45 MPH suggested speed.

Reactions: newtman
When I use your coordinates in google maps on my imac I come up out of sight of the river. It's hard to coordinate this through forum posts!
Use the coordinates that I gave a little earlier and look to the south. N 45.842528, W 111.915207. It probably happened a little further up the road where it starts to curve to the left, but this is where the wooden posts start. The winding road sign with the 45mph speed on it is just a few yards to the north of that location. He shouldn't have been using autopilot on that road, especially not at 60mph.

If you are looking on Google Earth and follow MT State Route 2 south from I-90 a few miles, the road passes a narrow area between a steep ridge on the left and on the right are the railroad tracks, and then the Jefferson River. Here is the kind of guard "rail" described by the OP. It is visible in the area where the road, rail line, and Jefferson river seem to converge. This area seems to fit the description.

I would not use Autopilot at night on this stretch of road. There is a straight stretch and then at this point road begins to curve between river and ridge.

One thing that puzzles me is this: if the driver was going to West Yellowstone from Whitehall, at night, why is he on Route 2 and not on Route 359, which is much straighter, more direct to the destination, and a better road?

I think you must be right about the location. I was assuming that since they were going from west coast, they would have exited I-90 at the western part of Rt. 2. But I couldn't imagine had he had traveled through those twisty roads on autopilot and at the stated speed. Your analysis makes more sense.
Thanks

in my experience AP would have handled this just fine -- unless the lanes have significantly faded and haven't been repainted since the google map camera went by:

View attachment 185302

Google Maps

It's right here:

upload_2016-7-14_5-52-20-png.185302

Looks like our friend has gone public with an open letter:
Tesla Autopilot crash in Montana: Drivers reveals new details and claims a ‘cover up’ by Tesla
"A Public Letter to Mr. Musk and Tesla For The Sake Of All Tesla Driver’s Safety
From my friend, Mr. Pang, a survivor of the Montana Tesla autopilot crash ...

Thank goodness that Tesla has now responded to this nonsense from Mr. Pang ...
Tesla responds to ‘cover-up’ claims in ‘Montana Autopilot Accident’, offers more details on investigation

In its letter, Tesla mentioned Pang’s “stated preference to air [his] concerns in a public forum” to explain why it was willing to publicly release its brief analysis of the situation, but it would still like to talk to Pang directly.

Here’s Tesla official response in full:

Dear Mr. Pang,

We were sorry to hear about your accident, but we were very pleased to learn both you and your friend were ok when we spoke through your translator on the morning of the crash (July 9). On Monday immediately following the crash (July 11), we found a member of the Tesla team fluent in Mandarin and called to follow up. When we were able to make contact with your wife the following day, we expressed our concern and gathered more information regarding the incident. We have since made multiple attempts (one Wednesday, one Thursday, and one Friday) to reach you to discuss the incident, review detailed logs, and address any further concerns and have not received a call back.

As is our standard procedure with all incidents experienced in our vehicles, we have conducted a thorough investigation of the diagnostic log data transmitted by the vehicle. Given your stated preference to air your concerns in a public forum, we are happy to provide a brief analysis here and welcome a return call from you. From this data, we learned that after you engaged Autosteer, your hands were not detected on the steering wheel for over two minutes. This is contrary to the terms of use when first enabling the feature and the visual alert presented you every time Autosteer is activated. As road conditions became increasingly uncertain, the vehicle again alerted you to put your hands on the wheel. No steering torque was then detected until Autosteer was disabled with an abrupt steering action. Immediately following detection of the first impact, adaptive cruise control was also disabled, the vehicle began to slow, and you applied the brake pedal.

Following the crash, and once the vehicle had come to rest, the passenger door was opened but the driver door remained closed and the key remained in the vehicle. Since the vehicle had been left in Drive with Creep Mode enabled, the motor continued to rotate. The diagnostic data shows that the driver door was later opened from the outside and the vehicle was shifted to park. We understand that at night following a collision the rotating motors may have been disconcerting, even though they were only powered by minimal levels of creep torque. We always seek to learn from customer concerns, and we are looking into this behavior to see if it can be improved. We are also continually studying means of better encouraging drivers to adhere to the terms of use for our driver assistance features.

We are still seeking to speak with you. Please contact Tesla service so that we can answer any further questions you may have.

Sincerely, The Tesla team

Last edited:
It's right here:

upload_2016-7-14_5-52-20-png.185302
That road is not meant to be driven on autopilot according to the terms of use.
Why is this even an issue? People drive incorrectly all the time then look to blame someone or something else. It's terrible that he was in an accident yet I suspect the vehicle was warning him in English and he may not have understood the disclaimer or warnings. He should have set the car to Mandarin. Too bad. At least he did not kill his passenger. In the end it's just a car.

Thank goodness that Tesla has now responded to this nonsense from Mr. Pang ...

The mystery deepens.

Mr. Pang wrote "Tesla never contacted me after the accident."

But Tesla said:

"we spoke through your translator on the morning of the crash (July 9). On Monday immediately following the crash (July 11), we found a member of the Tesla team fluent in Mandarin and called to follow up. When we were able to make contact with your wife the following day, we expressed our concern and gathered more information regarding the incident."

So which version of the story is correct? "Never" or spoke on 7/9/2016 and 7/11/2016 and missed calls on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday?

Another mystery is when Mr. Pang wrote: " Afraid that the battery was broken or short circuited, we got out and ran away as fast as we could."

It's basic driver's training that you should put the car in Park after a collision but the driver did not! It's just a simple push on the silver button at the end of the gear stick which would take a fraction of a second.

It's also a mystery that when the driver wanted to exit as quickly as possible, he chose a slower way to climb over the passenger side to make an exit? That's the side that's heavily damaged and also as the driver described that the side with "50 feet drop." It would be much faster to exit by opening the undamaged driver's door!

The puzzle pieces starts to assemble. I wonder if there is a sensor on the driver seat to detect if a careless person tries to drive from the passenger seat, and if a DUI sensor will equip the car one day...
What is described could match a (totally improbable of course) case where there is no driver on the driver sear, then during the alert messages the passenger tries to get his left foot in the left side to brake but during the process uses the wheel as a handle (smart) disengaging the AP and crashing the car on the poles. Then the driver exits using... the passenger door.

But of course that did not happen in Mr Pang's case, that can only be Tesla's fault (my lawyer is sure about that).

Jeff

Teslas description of Mr.Pang's cars log file data, as quoted here by @FlatSix911, completely descredits Mr. Pang's description of the accident. One can decide not to accept Teslas description of the accident and accuse the company of covering up the truth, but since no one outside of Tesla has access to the cars log files, it would take a legal proceeding to force Tesla to make the log files available for independent analysis, I assume (I am not an attorney so I could be wrong about that).
As is our standard procedure with all incidents experienced in our vehicles, we have conducted a thorough investigation of the diagnostic log data transmitted by the vehicle. Given your stated preference to air your concerns in a public forum, we are happy to provide a brief analysis here and welcome a return call from you. From this data, we learned that after you engaged Autosteer, your hands were not detected on the steering wheel for over two minutes. This is contrary to the terms of use when first enabling the feature and the visual alert presented you every time Autosteer is activated. As road conditions became increasingly uncertain, the vehicle again alerted you to put your hands on the wheel. No steering torque was then detected until Autosteer was disabled with an abrupt steering action. Immediately following detection of the first impact, adaptive cruise control was also disabled, the vehicle began to slow, and you applied the brake pedal.

Following the crash, and once the vehicle had come to rest, the passenger door was opened but the driver door remained closed and the key remained in the vehicle. Since the vehicle had been left in Drive with Creep Mode enabled, the motor continued to rotate. The diagnostic data shows that the driver door was later opened from the outside and the vehicle was shifted to park. We understand that at night following a collision the rotating motors may have been disconcerting, even though they were only powered by minimal levels of creep torque. We always seek to learn from customer concerns, and we are looking into this behavior to see if it can be improved. We are also continually studying means of better encouraging drivers to adhere to the terms of use for our driver assistance features.

Last edited: