Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My friend's model X crashed using AP yesterday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really, you would give up TACC and the auto parking features too? (Remember it is a bundle, not à La Carte.) I think for most people TACC alone is worth it. But maybe you don't drive in rush hour traffic on the freeway much.
I don't find auto park of much use as mostly I am looking for empty spaces far out. Not that I haven't found it useful in some situations. But TACC is definitely worth it. Had a loaner without the hardware and within a couple of minutes I was missing my own car.

Also, the original implementation of AP was not restricted. It was the result of irresponsible behavior of drivers and I believe CR pressure that made TM restrict it. And to me that makes no sense. My commute is mostly an undivided 2lane road with 55mph limit. To use AP, I am restricted to 60mph which means traffic backs up behind me as everyone goes 70mph. To keep up with the traffic I have to take off AP which means I am manually mantaining the lane and that is not my best skill.

But maybe there are people like @Joeski1 who want to turn it off forever and get their money back. Maybe Tesla should charge them service fees to turn it off and pro-rate the time they had AP and switch it off for them.

I don't see why TESLA can't offer refunds for folks that want out of AP... I can't find alotta use for it personally.. shame I was misled at the retailer... had I known it was of such limited use in my daily driving.. I would not have spent the money on it...

don't really care about much else here... two near accidents and off the road while using it.. and I'm done... the system is too limited to be of use except on interstate highways and turnpikes perhaps... but around town.. and on lazy back-roads.. esp. ones with curves and hills.. it's not good enough... and not recommended either....

they need to put a large print disclaimer on their site to warn folks it's really designed for high speed , limited cross traffic highway use only...a few test drives and a 30 hour loaner is NOT enough time behind wheel time to make a large cost decision about this feature

Use autosteer on divided highways and in traffic jams and use just TACC everywhere else.

I don't see why TESLA can't offer refunds for folks that want out of AP... I can't find alotta use for it personally.. shame I was misled at the retailer... had I known it was of such limited use in my daily driving.. I would not have spent the money on it...

don't really care about much else here... two near accidents and off the road while using it.. and I'm done... the system is too limited to be of use except on interstate highways and turnpikes perhaps... but around town.. and on lazy back-roads.. esp. ones with curves and hills.. it's not good enough... and not recommended either....

they need to put a large print disclaimer on their site to warn folks it's really designed for high speed , limited cross traffic highway use only...a few test drives and a 30 hour loaner is NOT enough time behind wheel time to make a large cost decision about this feature
I'm betting you'll have a very different opinion a year from now. This is only version 1.0, there is room for improvement.

Also, the original implementation of AP was not restricted. It was the result of irresponsible behavior of drivers and I believe CR pressure that made TM restrict it. And to me that makes no sense. My commute is mostly an undivided 2lane road with 55mph limit. To use AP, I am restricted to 60mph which means traffic backs up behind me as everyone goes 70mph. To keep up with the traffic I have to take off AP which means I am manually mantaining the lane and that is not my best skill.

I've found that when speed is restricted to +5 MPH you can press on the accelerator and autosteer still functions (but of course you aren't getting to use TACC).

Reactions: bhzmark
I've found that when speed is restricted to +5 MPH you can press on the accelerator and autosteer still functions (but of course you aren't getting to use TACC).
@CmdrThor - that's true. However, TACC is a huge convenience and maybe it's my own thing but if I am pushing the accelerator I would be controlling the wheel too..it just feels weird to push the pedal and not have the wheel in your control.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I asked my friend driver again. As off today, tesla did not contact him in any way. He was any questioned by police so far. He told police his hand was not on the steering wheel when the car ran off the road hit the wood posts. As we can see the photo of the accident location, the wood posts are quite close to the road. He immediately took over the steering wheel to try to turn the car back, the effort he made was only able to keep the car continue hitting more wood post and eventually stop instead of running down the hill.

Today on the Wechat message group he mentioned 2 points.
1. The car did not ask him to hold the steering wheel when the accident happen. It was still in the "within" 2 minutes range. (He did told police his hand wasn't on steering wheel because is on AP). He addressed if he did not put hand on the steering wheel, car will beep again in like 10-20 seconds and turn on emergency flashlight, and slow down to park somewhere. Apparently his car was in the regular AP driving mode when it happened. Tesla's official response emphasized the rule about warning to hold the steering wheel, does not apply the to moment when the accident happen, ACCORDING TO THE DRIVER

2. It kinda shocked us in the Wechat message group that driver said non of any air bag was deployed.

Again I'm a tesla fan, I own a 90d and have model 3 reserved. I pass those messages here only to warm the drivers to be super careful of AP, I'm also learning while I'm posting. I used to this this type of high way is AP friendly, but when accident happen, it happens in like 5 seconds.
So after what we know actually happened, as opposed to your friends story, do you think he was elaborating his story deliberately?

Apparently the driver has now issued an open letter where Tesla is claimed to be covering up things. Full letter here:

Tesla Autopilot crash in Montana: Drivers reveals new details and claims a ‘cover up’ by Tesla

Electrek also said they have contacted Tesla and will update if/when they reply to it.

Edit: Link goes to Electrek which I don't mind giving clicks, IMHO they have been supportive of Tesla unlike some other publications.

Hmm, I guess I am not sure what Tesla might be covering up in this case. The driver admits he didn't have his hands on the wheel. I guess there could be a dispute as to whether the "hands on steering warning" beeped or not. But in the end, the driver should have had his hands on the wheel.

As far as the car veering off the road, then not stopping, I am guessing the force of the posts (or their impact location) was not sufficient to set off the collision system. So it behaved like a car on cruise control (which it was).

As much sympathy as I have for the driver in this case, I don't think they are going to get very far with this new tactic.

Reactions: xkwizit
The minute i saw "the friend" urgently come into a public forum to tell us what happened, I knew there was something fishy and they would end up blaming Tesla for something that is clearly their fault.
The new letter is also penned under the guise of the "friend" (the title says "From my friend, Mr. Pang"). It gives an easy out in case the facts prove to be incorrect.

Reactions: callmesam
The writer really needs a proofreader ... :rolleyes:

“Tesla never contacted me after the accident. Tesla just issued conclusion without thorough investigation, but blaming me for the crash. Tesla were trying to cover up the lack of dependability of the autopilot system, but blaming everything on my hands not on the steering wheel. Tesla were not interested in why the car veered right suddenly, nor why the car did not slow down during the crash.”

What where you expecting ? That you call it on your watch and the car comes to you and talks to you? :rolleyes:

...Autopilot did not detect a wood stake...

Looks like our friend has gone public with an open letter:

Tesla Autopilot crash in Montana: Drivers reveals new details and claims a ‘cover up’ by Tesla

"A Public Letter to Mr. Musk and Tesla For The Sake Of All Tesla Driver’s Safety

From my friend, Mr. Pang, a survivor of the Montana Tesla autopilot crash

My name is Pang. On July 8, 2016, I drove my Tesla Model X from Seattle heading to Yellowstone Nation Park, with a friend, Mr. Huang, in the passenger seat. When we were on highway I90, I turned on autopilot, and drove for about 600 miles. I switched autopilot off while we exited I90 in Montana to state route 2. After about 1 mile, we saw that road condition was good, and turned on autopilot again. The speed setting was between 55 and 60 mph. After we drove about another mile on state route 2, the car suddenly veered right and crashed into the safety barrier post. It happened so fast, and we did not hear any warning beep. Autopilot did not slow down at all after the crash, but kept going in the original speed setting and continued to crash into more barrier posts in high speed. I managed to step on the break, turn the car left and stopped the car after it crashed 12 barrier posts. After we stopped, we heard the car making abnormal loud sound. Afraid that the battery was broken or short circuited, we got out and ran away as fast as we could. After we ran about 50 feet, we found the sound was the engine were still running in high speed. I returned to the car and put it in parking, that is when the loud sound disappeared. Our cellphone did not have coverage, and asked a lady passing by to call 911 on her cellphone. After the police arrived, we found the right side of the car was totally damaged. The right front wheel, suspension, and head light flied off far, and the right rear wheel was crashed out of shape. We noticed that the barrier posts is about 2 feet from the white line. The other side of the barrier is a 50 feet drop, with a railroad at the bottom, and a river next. If the car rolled down the steep slope, it would be really bad. Concerning this crash accident, we want to make several things clear:

1. We know that while Tesla autopilot is on but the driver’s hand is not on the steering wheel, the system will issue warning beep sound after a while. If the driver’s hands continue to be off the steering wheel, autopilot will slow down, until the driver takes over both the steering wheel and gas pedal. But we did not hear any warning beep before the crash, and the car did not slow down either. It just veered right in a sudden and crashed into the barrier posts. Apparently the autopilot system malfunctioned and caused the crash. The car was running between 55 and 60 mph, and the barrier posts are just 3 or 4 feet away. It happened in less than 1/10 of a second from the drift to crash. A normal driver is impossible to avoid that in such a short time.

2. I was horrified by the fact that the Tesla autopilot did not slow down the car at all after the intial crash. After we crashed on the first barrier post, autopilot continued to drive the car with the speed of 55 to 60 mph, and crashed another 11 posts. Even after I stopped the car, it was still trying to accelerate and spinning the engine in high speed. What if it is not barrier posts on the right side, but a crowd?

3. Tesla never contacted me after the accident. Tesla just issued conclusion without thorough investigation, but blaming me for the crash. Tesla were trying to cover up the lack of dependability of the autopilot system, but blaming everything on my hands not on the steering wheel. Tesla were not interested in why the car veered right suddenly, nor why the car did not slow down during the crash. It is clear that Tesla is selling a beta product with bugs to consumers, and ask the consumers to be responsible for the liability of the bugging autopilot system. Tesla is using all Tesla drivers as lab rats. We are willing to talk to Tesla concerning the accident anytime, anywhere, in front of the public.

4. CNN’s article later about the accident was quoting out of context of our interview. I did not say that I do not know either Tesla or me should be responsible for the accident. I might consider buying another Tesla only if they can iron out the instability problems of their system.

As a survivor of such a bad accident, a past fan of the Tesla technology, I now realized that life is the most precious fortune in this world. Any advance in technology should be based on the prerequisite of protecting life to the maximum extend. In front of life and death, any technology has no right to ignore life, any pursue and dream on technology should first show the respect to life. For the sake of the safety of all Tesla drivers and passengers, and all other people sharing the road, Mr. Musk should stand up as a man, face up the challenge to thoroughly investigate the cause of the accident, and take responsibility for the mistakes of Tesla product. We are willing to publicly talk to you face to face anytime to give you all the details of what happened. Mr. Musk, you should immediately stop trying to cover up the problems of the Tesla autopilot system and blame the consumers."

In response to our friend coming out to public, Tesla has previously also gave out a public statement. It again public stood by its statement after this public letter.

If you asked a public question, Tesla would give you a public answer. I am not sure our friend can get any satisfaction with a public method.

Here's a previous Tesla statement after our friend talked to the press:

“This vehicle was being driven along an undivided mountain road shortly after midnight with autosteer enabled. The data suggests that the driver’s hands were not on the steering wheel, as no force was detected on the steering wheel for over 2 minutes after autosteer was engaged (even a very small amount of force, such as one hand resting on the wheel, will be detected). This is contrary to the terms of use that are agreed to when enabling the feature and the notification presented in the instrument cluster each time it is activated.

As road conditions became increasingly uncertain, the vehicle again alerted the driver to put his hands on the wheel. He did not do so and shortly thereafter the vehicle collided with a post on the edge of the roadway.

Autosteer, which is enabled via the Driver Assistance tab under Settings, is best suited either for highways with a center divider or any road while in slow-moving traffic. We specifically advise against its use at high speeds on undivided roads.

That said, provided the driver remains alert, it will still be safer than a person driving unaided, as people are sometimes distracted or may become unable to operate the vehicle, due to falling sleep, fainting or experiencing a medical emergency. After either high lateral acceleration from a sharp corner is detected or there is no force on the steering wheel, the vehicle gradually reduces speed, stops and turns on the emergency lights.”

It looks like our friend disagreed with Tesla's assessment that "road conditions became increasingly uncertain" because our friend said "road condition was good."

Also, our friend disputed Tesla statement saying that "the vehicle again alerted the driver to put his hands on the wheel" as he and his passenger "we did not hear any warning beep"

Our friend also disputed Tesla statement "After either high lateral acceleration from a sharp corner is detected or there is no force on the steering wheel, the vehicle gradually reduces speed, stops and turns on the emergency lights." because he wrote: "I managed to step on the break, turn the car left and stopped the car..."

And so on...

Here's my comment:

1) The statement "Apparently the autopilot system malfunctioned and caused the crash." is false because the driver did not follow instruction.

The manual lists lots of conditions that the Autopilot is not meant to be used.

It says very clearly in the manual that it is used for divided highway.

But you see other people do it on youtube too?

Sure! But if something happens then you just cannot cite youtube as a reference, you have got to cite the owner's manual that prohibits highways with no median separation.

Hey! lots of people doing hands-off driving on youtube and nothing happen to them.

Sure! But it is not meant to be used as an hands-off driving. It is used as a hands-on driving.

Good for them that they did not get into troubles. But when do not follow instructions by doing a hands-off driving just like youtube does and you get into an accident, you cannot blame that the system is "malfunctioned."

2. "I was horrified by the fact that the Tesla autopilot did not slow down the car at all after the intial crash."

Lots of people misunderstood that the car must stop because it has Automatic Emergency Braking but the manual does not say that.

The best it can do is to do a 25 mph reduction in speed and let the car go: 60 mph - 25 mph means your car could still hitting those poles at 35 mph which is still quite fast but that's the best the manual said it can do!

3. "Tesla never contacted me after the accident.": My guess is as long as Tesla Roadside Service knew that vehicle occupants are fine, there's no need to follow up.

They looked up the log and found nothing out of ordinary so there's no need for an investigation.

However, that does not mean its is "normal" for you.

When owners first got Autopilot, it loved to veer to the right for an unintended highway exit.

Most owners followed the instructions and kept their hands on the steering wheel and prevented such mishaps.

But if they did not, they just can't blame Tesla for not caring why Autopilot lead them astray to an unintended highway exit or even caused an accident.

To Tesla, that is not out-of-ordinary because there are certain conditions that the car behaves that way even we know and Tesla knows that's undesirable.

Those undesirable Autopilot behaviors would be and some have been fixed but in the mean time, the manual still prohibits hands-off driving.

"Tesla is using all Tesla drivers as lab rats:" It is false because no one forces the driver to take Autopilot. As a matter of fact, you must pay $2,500 for the privilege for being on the leading edge of technology even though you know that it is not perfect.

Lab rats are not given an owner's manual that lists warnings and cite the word "death" 19 times.

You are a human being who entered into a legally binding contract with an owner manual and you signed for it with no one rounding you up into a lab rat.

4. "I might consider buying another Tesla only if they can iron out the instability problems of their system."

You might as well wait for Google to come out with their final product which could be a few years from now or many years from now.

In the mean time, no one can beat Tesla's Autopilot as long as you follow its instructions, not youtube's.

Good luck and please keep us of your progress!

Last edited:
Reactions: Softwizard
Looks like our friend has gone public with an open letter:

"A Public Letter to Mr. Musk and Tesla For The Sake Of All Tesla Driver’s Safety

From my friend, Mr. Pang, a survivor of the Montana Tesla autopilot crash

My name is Pang. On July 8, 2016, I drove my Tesla Model X from Seattle heading to Yellowstone Nation Park, with a friend, Mr. Huang, in the passenger seat. When we were on highway I90, I turned on autopilot, and drove for about 600 miles. I switched autopilot off while we exited I90 in Montana to state route 2. After about 1 mile, we saw that road condition was good, and turned on autopilot again. The speed setting was between 55 and 60 mph. After we drove about another mile on state route 2, the car suddenly veered right and crashed into the safety barrier post. It happened so fast, and we did not hear any warning beep. Autopilot did not slow down at all after the crash, but kept going in the original speed setting and continued to crash into more barrier posts in high speed. I managed to step on the break, turn the car left and stopped the car after it crashed 12 barrier posts. After we stopped, we heard the car making abnormal loud sound. Afraid that the battery was broken or short circuited, we got out and ran away as fast as we could. After we ran about 50 feet, we found the sound was the engine were still running in high speed. I returned to the car and put it in parking, that is when the loud sound disappeared. Our cellphone did not have coverage, and asked a lady passing by to call 911 on her cellphone. After the police arrived, we found the right side of the car was totally damaged. The right front wheel, suspension, and head light flied off far, and the right rear wheel was crashed out of shape. We noticed that the barrier posts is about 2 feet from the white line. The other side of the barrier is a 50 feet drop, with a railroad at the bottom, and a river next. If the car rolled down the steep slope, it would be really bad. Concerning this crash accident, we want to make several things clear:

1. We know that while Tesla autopilot is on but the driver’s hand is not on the steering wheel, the system will issue warning beep sound after a while. If the driver’s hands continue to be off the steering wheel, autopilot will slow down, until the driver takes over both the steering wheel and gas pedal. But we did not hear any warning beep before the crash, and the car did not slow down either. It just veered right in a sudden and crashed into the barrier posts. Apparently the autopilot system malfunctioned and caused the crash. The car was running between 55 and 60 mph, and the barrier posts are just 3 or 4 feet away. It happened in less than 1/10 of a second from the drift to crash. A normal driver is impossible to avoid that in such a short time.

2. I was horrified by the fact that the Tesla autopilot did not slow down the car at all after the intial crash. After we crashed on the first barrier post, autopilot continued to drive the car with the speed of 55 to 60 mph, and crashed another 11 posts. Even after I stopped the car, it was still trying to accelerate and spinning the engine in high speed. What if it is not barrier posts on the right side, but a crowd?

3. Tesla never contacted me after the accident. Tesla just issued conclusion without thorough investigation, but blaming me for the crash. Tesla were trying to cover up the lack of dependability of the autopilot system, but blaming everything on my hands not on the steering wheel. Tesla were not interested in why the car veered right suddenly, nor why the car did not slow down during the crash. It is clear that Tesla is selling a beta product with bugs to consumers, and ask the consumers to be responsible for the liability of the bugging autopilot system. Tesla is using all Tesla drivers as lab rats. We are willing to talk to Tesla concerning the accident anytime, anywhere, in front of the public.

4. CNN’s article later about the accident was quoting out of context of our interview. I did not say that I do not know either Tesla or me should be responsible for the accident. I might consider buying another Tesla only if they can iron out the instability problems of their system.

As a survivor of such a bad accident, a past fan of the Tesla technology, I now realized that life is the most precious fortune in this world. Any advance in technology should be based on the prerequisite of protecting life to the maximum extend. In front of life and death, any technology has no right to ignore life, any pursue and dream on technology should first show the respect to life. For the sake of the safety of all Tesla drivers and passengers, and all other people sharing the road, Mr. Musk should stand up as a man, face up the challenge to thoroughly investigate the cause of the accident, and take responsibility for the mistakes of Tesla product. We are willing to publicly talk to you face to face anytime to give you all the details of what happened. Mr. Musk, you should immediately stop trying to cover up the problems of the Tesla autopilot system and blame the consumers."

In response to our friend coming out to public, Tesla has previously also gave out a public statement. It again public stood by its statement after this public letter.

If you asked a public question, Tesla would give you a public answer. I am not sure our friend can get any satisfaction with a public method.

Here's a previous Tesla statement after our friend talked to the press:

“This vehicle was being driven along an undivided mountain road shortly after midnight with autosteer enabled. The data suggests that the driver’s hands were not on the steering wheel, as no force was detected on the steering wheel for over 2 minutes after autosteer was engaged (even a very small amount of force, such as one hand resting on the wheel, will be detected). This is contrary to the terms of use that are agreed to when enabling the feature and the notification presented in the instrument cluster each time it is activated.

As road conditions became increasingly uncertain, the vehicle again alerted the driver to put his hands on the wheel. He did not do so and shortly thereafter the vehicle collided with a post on the edge of the roadway.

Autosteer, which is enabled via the Driver Assistance tab under Settings, is best suited either for highways with a center divider or any road while in slow-moving traffic. We specifically advise against its use at high speeds on undivided roads.

That said, provided the driver remains alert, it will still be safer than a person driving unaided, as people are sometimes distracted or may become unable to operate the vehicle, due to falling sleep, fainting or experiencing a medical emergency. After either high lateral acceleration from a sharp corner is detected or there is no force on the steering wheel, the vehicle gradually reduces speed, stops and turns on the emergency lights.”

It looks like our friend disagreed with Tesla's assessment that "road conditions became increasingly uncertain" because our friend said "road condition was good."

Also, our friend disputed Tesla statement saying that "the vehicle again alerted the driver to put his hands on the wheel" as he and his passenger "we did not hear any warning beep"

Our friend also disputed Tesla statement "After either high lateral acceleration from a sharp corner is detected or there is no force on the steering wheel, the vehicle gradually reduces speed, stops and turns on the emergency lights." because he wrote: "I managed to step on the break, turn the car left and stopped the car..."

And so on...

Here's my comment:

1) The statement "Apparently the autopilot system malfunctioned and caused the crash." is false because the driver did not follow instruction.

The manual lists lots of conditions that the Autopilot is not meant to be used.

It says very clearly in the manual that it is used for divided highway.

But you see other people do it on youtube too?

Sure! But if something happens then you just cannot cite youtube as a reference, you have got to cite the owner's manual that prohibits highways with no median separation.

Hey! lots of people doing hands-off driving on youtube and nothing happen to them.

Sure! But it is not meant to be used as an hands-off driving. It is used as a hands-on driving.

Good for them that they did not get into troubles. But when do not follow instructions by doing a hands-off driving just like youtube does and you get into an accident, you cannot blame that the system is "malfunctioned."

2. "I was horrified by the fact that the Tesla autopilot did not slow down the car at all after the intial crash."

Lots of people misunderstood that the car must stop because it has Automatic Emergency Braking but the manual does not say that.

The best it can do is to do a 25 mph reduction in speed and let the car go: 60 mph - 25 mph means your car could still hitting those poles at 35 mph which is still quite fast but that's the best the manual said it can do!

3. "Tesla never contacted me after the accident.": My guess is as long as Tesla Roadside Service knew that vehicle occupants are fine, there's no need to follow up.

They looked up the log and found nothing out of ordinary so there's no need for an investigation.

However, that does not mean its is "normal" for you.

When owners first got Autopilot, it loved to veer to the right for an unintended highway exit.

Most owners followed the instructions and kept their hands on the steering wheel and prevented such mishaps.

But if they did not, they just can't blame Tesla for not caring why Autopilot lead them astray to an unintended highway exit or even caused an accident.

To Tesla, that is not out-of-ordinary because there are certain conditions that the car behaves that way even we know and Tesla knows that's undesirable.

Those undesirable Autopilot behaviors would be and some have been fixed but in the mean time, the manual still prohibits hands-off driving.

"Tesla is using all Tesla drivers as lab rats:" It is false because no one forces the driver to take Autopilot. As a matter of fact, you must pay $2,500 for the privilege for being on the leading edge of technology even though you know that it is not perfect.

Lab rats are not given an owner's manual that lists warnings and cite the word "death" 19 times.

You are a human being who entered into a legally binding contract with an owner manual and you signed for it with no one rounding you up into a lab rat.

4. "I might consider buying another Tesla only if they cant iron out the instability problems of their system."

You might as well wait for Google to come out with their final product which could be a few years from now or many years from now.

In the mean time, no one can beat Tesla's Autopilot as long as you follow its instructions, not youtube's.

Good luck and please keep us of your progress!

OK, I know this is stretching, but after reading the letter, I went to google earth to try to find out the road conditions where this occurred. He said two miles south of I-90 on St RT 2. I tracked that route from I-90, and there is nothing like what he described visible in street view in that area. No guard rail, and no big drop off. And for the first three miles of St. Rt 2, it appears to be open rising terrain which would seem to be easily within cell phone range. The first guard rail I saw at all was about 5 miles south of town, and did have a big drop off. It is in a windy mountainous section of the road. The thought of someone driving through this area at 55-60 mph is impressive on its own, even without AP. In fact, the first section of guard rail that I could see on GEarth was at the start of a tight left hand turn. IF THIS IS WHERE THE ACCIDENT OCCURRED, (Intentional BIG IF)and if the AP lost steering, it probably didn't turn right, but just failed to turn left. And if this is where it happened the driver put himself and his passenger in jeopardy by his poor judgement, or failure to understand the system. Perhaps language issues were a factor.

I know that aircraft autopilot systems can handle many things, but there are situations (severe wind shear, for one) which simply exceed the capabilities of the system. That's why they still pay pilots.

The lat/long for the area I found is N45.52 W 112.27 . Again, I accept that I may be totally wrong on the location, but I didn't see anything prior to this as I followed the route in street view. Have a look and see if I am missing something.

Drive Safe

So if I'm reading the drivers letter correctly, he is saying that autopilot was engaged for 1 mile driving at 60 mph before veering of the road which is about 1 minute worth of driving. Is it possible that he engaged TACC instead of autopilot which would explain why the car maintained speed but did not stay on the road. A properly aligned car can easily drive on a straight road for 1 minute without any input from the driver on the steering wheel. Now I don't currently own a tesla so maybe this is not possible. Just a thought.

Edit:

If 787Steve is correct about the location. It would make sense that the car just continued going straight and didn't turn when approaching a curve as it was on TACC and not autopilot.

Last edited:
Reactions: bhzmark
Yeah there really isn't anything in the google street view on the edge of the road that would do that kind of damage. Although the street view could be out of date. Either way, I'd be interested in more details.
We recently sold our last property 3hrs to the north (Flathead Lake) and believe me ... that junky area has looked exactly the same since the 1990's.