Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My friend's model X crashed using AP yesterday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a matter of interest, what language options do the US Tesla's have for the UI? Obviously over here they are in Mandarin with other language option including English thank goodness. My reading of Chinese characters is very slow at best and would have precluded me from ordering in China if that option were not available.

• Informative
Reactions: Hengist
No one ever went thru the proper usage. It was entirely up to me to research, read and learn. Not a big deal someone like me who reads everything for years prior to purchase, but it might not be adequate for Joe Average who bought a new Tesla. I'm sure we've all experienced people coming up to us and asking, "Is this the car that drives itself?"

Therein lies the real problem. Joe Average doesn't need to be taught how to use Autopilot, Joe needs to be taught how to drive. If Joe were properly educated on the safe operation of and had the proper respect for hurtling 5,000 lbs. of steel, glass and electronics down the highway Joe would know that you don't just "enable" a technology on said 5,000 lbs. that Joe hasn't researched nor knows anything about without at least looking up how it works.

Hopefully Joe (and the rest of us) will look at the horrific accident that is Joshua Brown and at least take stock in what can happen when things go wrong in an automobile traveling fast down the highway. And then take responsibility that usually when things go wrong, it's on them...

Mike

The same could be said for even standard cruise control, yet people have been using that safely (by and large) for decades. AP should be treated exactly the same as regular cruise control - let the car do some stuff for you - but the driver is still ultimately responsible for paying attention.
I don't know why your point is seemingly so hard to understand. Its so simple.

Another enlightening detail
"It said the man - who had identified himself only as Pang - had told a police officer the alerts given by the car had been in English but he spoke Mandarin." - source Tesla says autopilot involved in second car crash - BBC News

Then how did he get a US/Montana drivers license? Isn't he expected to be able to read and understand and accept the EULA when enabling Beta software features, did he just irresponsibly ignore the warnings? I think so...

And in there lies your answer. The driver is, not autopilot, responsible for this accident.

Posted the Mandarin info a few post above as well.

Not sure they were from Montana. See this:

Title / link: Tesla confirms "Autopilot" crash in Montana
The driver in Montana was headed from Seattle to Yellowstone National Park when he crashed on a two-lane highway near Cardwell, at 12:30 a.m.

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad
My Wechat group friend went back to accident place took some photo where the accident happened. I don't know how to save the video from Wechat message, took screen shot attached. I'm a huge fan of tesla and Elon, own tesla stocks. The reason I'm posting here is want to let drivers to pay attention and learn from this accident. What what this photo shows, the road look in a condition I would enable AP. I have learned high way is still risky, but I will only do it on free way in future.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    726 KB · Views: 128
  • image.png
    image.png
    726 KB · Views: 101
  • image.png
    image.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 109
  • image.png
    image.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 103
The driver said he hope tesla can contact him to obtain some information, but so far tesla did not call or email, he is quite upset.

He wrote in Wechat group saying he just turn to that road from a stop sign, turned on AP when he though was safe, crashes in 1 mile on the road. I questioned him tesla said he did not put hands on wheel after 2 mins. Above is his reply. Sorry I'm writing from cellphone, somehow can't move mouse back b

• Informative
Reactions: Matias
My Wechat group friend went back to accident place took some photo where the accident happened. I don't know how to save the video from Wechat message, took screen shot attached. I'm a huge fan of tesla and Elon, own tesla stocks. The reason I'm posting here is want to let drivers to pay attention and learn from this accident. What what this photo shows, the road look in a condition I would enable AP. I have learned high way is still risky, but I will only do it on free way in future.

You need to allow yourself room (and reaction time) to detect when AP is not working as expected. One indication would be of car crossing shoulder markings or median, however on undivided highway and no shoulder when car does cross - you're already in trouble. Also, the higher the speed the more reaction time you need...obviously.

Last edited:
I don't know why your point is seemingly so hard to understand. Its so simple.

Cruise control is fundamentally different from Autopilot in that human physiology has been shown to respond to low levels of automation much differently than high levels of automation.

A compass and a map is not the same thing as Google turn-by-turn directions, for example. When Google is navigating me I am not going to be able to as quickly verify that the road I'm on is correct. When I navigate there by hand with my trusty compass and map, I'm going to be able to tell you instantly why I'm on this particular road, what its name is, which direction I'm heading, and what the next turn will be. Perhaps a better example is a video game. Am I more engaged when I play a video game myself, or when I'm watching someone else play it? If the person I'm watching suddenly says, "I'm out" and throws me the controller, will I be easily able to continue the level easily without dying, even if I've been paying rapt attention? 100% of the time?

This is why Google chose not to release level 2 and 3 autonomous driving. To varying degrees, high levels of driving automation turns people into zombies, if only at subconscious levels. This has been shown with pilots as well.

Last edited:
It is fairly easy in WeChat to save videos, on your phone, just start the video, then touch the screen and hold, a number of options including 'save video' come up. this only works if video is playing.

You can then post video in TMC from your normal video library.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
The driver said he hope tesla can contact him to obtain some information, but so far tesla did not call or email, he is quite upset.

He wrote in Wechat group saying he just turn to that road from a stop sign, turned on AP when he though was safe, crashes in 1 mile on the road. I questioned him tesla said he did not put hands on wheel after 2 mins. Above is his reply. Sorry I'm writing from cellphone, somehow can't move mouse back b

Sorry to hear about your friends accident and glad he is ok. Did he hear any audible alarm?

I would really hate to be forced to put hands on the steering all the time. That doesn't take us closer to autonomous driving as well.

It's like the car will not start till you buckle your seat belt. Just because some people are irresponsible doesn't mean the rest of the humanity has to suffer.

And a sleeping or drunk driver could as well be holding the steering or sleeping on it but to no good.

I'd be OK with hands on the wheel all the time in speeds between 35 and 50 mph and have that lessened as you go further outside that zone. So if you are cruising at 80 mph it won't nag and if you are in stop and go doing 5 mph it won't nag but on a less safe situation at 40 mph it will.

The reason I'm posting here is want to let drivers to pay attention and learn from this accident. What what this photo shows, the road look in a condition I would enable AP. I have learned high way is still risky, but I will only do it on free way in future.

Appreciate the information. Yes, I should think that driving at night on an undivided twisty roadway with no shoulder, is probably not the best place to take advantage of autopilot.

@Eresan the problem for your friend is that he didn't put his hands on the wheel and take control when warned by his car. If he wasn't in a position to understand the warnings, he really shouldn't have engaged autopilot.

I think the most succinct metaphor here is that, at least on restricted roads, Autopilot is a zombie. Like most zombies, it is not a particularly good driver, but worse, it is highly contagious. Hang around with it long enough and you will eventually be bitten, and turn into a zombie yourself. This will make you less able to respond to problems with Autopilot.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Screenshot: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/image-png.185224/
is here on Google Maps:
Google Maps

It appears this is where the post barrier starts and the reflectors on the posts may have confused AutoPilot.

• Informative
Reactions: KaiserSoze
When Google is navigating me I am not going to be able to as quickly verify that the road I'm on is correct. When I navigate there by hand with my trusty compass and map, I'm going to be able to tell you instantly why I'm on this particular road, what its name is, which direction I'm heading, and what the next turn will be.

...and the same kind of disclaimer pops on navigation software noting that you, the driver, are ultimately responsible for evaluating the directions and picking a safe route. If Google tells you to turn left onto a road that has a 'road closed" sign across it, what would you do?

I think the most succinct metaphor here is that Autopilot is a zombie. Like all zombies, it is not a particularly good driver, but worse, it is highly contagious. Hang around with it long enough and you will eventually be bitten.

I think the metaphor is broken on may levels, but taking the last part, if you drive a car you will eventually have an accident (be "bitten"). The question is whether your chances of eventually being bitten are higher or lower if you have AP as a tool at your disposal?