Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY lack of rear seat heater buttons and kids !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took kids for test drive in MY yesterday and some moans about not being able to turn rear heated rear seats on and off themselves - would a work around for this be to give them keys on their phones so they can then use it for the seat heaters ? Also would this allow me to leave them in the car whilst i say stop a shop to avoid the car locking itsel;f and putting alarm on ?

How adventurous do you want to be?

There is an unofficial Tesla API available.

You could run this at home and via a separate app on their phones only allow them to control rear seat heaters.

One way is to run Home Assistant on a small computer at home, say a Raspberry Pi 4. The rest is lots of configuration. There are plenty of guides online. Might not be of interest to you though.

Alternatively, can you just lend them your phone while they sit in the back and claim the phone back at the end of the journey.

• Informative
Reactions: DeejUK
considering how many apps there are for eg watch, energy tracking etc - I’m kinda surprised there isn’t already something like this. Literally something like the remote app but with options to lock out some of the features could work so relatively little effort to add more value

Took kids for test drive in MY yesterday and some moans about not being able to turn rear heated rear seats on and off themselves - would a work around for this be to give them keys on their phones so they can then use it for the seat heaters ? Also would this allow me to leave them in the car whilst i say stop a shop to avoid the car locking itsel;f and putting alarm on ?
MODEL 3 manual (I presume Y will be the same):

"Camp Mode allows you to power electronics through the USB ports and 12V outlet in addition to maintaining the cabin temperature. The touchscreen remains on so you can play music, browse the internet, play games in the arcade, or watch shows in Tesla Theater. You can also control media and climate settings from a paired phone. Camp Mode is ideal for remaining inside your vehicle, such as camping or staying with a child."

"NOTE: In Camp Mode, Sentry Mode and the vehicle alarm system are disabled."

How adventurous do you want to be?

There is an unofficial Tesla API available.

You could run this at home and via a separate app on their phones only allow them to control rear seat heaters.

One way is to run Home Assistant on a small computer at home, say a Raspberry Pi 4. The rest is lots of configuration. There are plenty of guides online. Might not be of interest to you though.

Alternatively, can you just lend them your phone while they sit in the back and claim the phone back at the end of the journey.
thanks will look into this - cant leave them my phone as they would get up to all sorts if unlocked :(

Take a look at Four S3XY Buttons. You can program one of the buttons to do this and put the button wherever you want. The only problem I found is that since they come from the EU I got landed with a tax bill of £52 (thanks Brexit).

• Helpful
Reactions: DeejUK and dazzap
Yes, after latest update to firmware. The ability to put the buttons wherever you want seems to me to be an advantage since you can place them at the back for your passengers, e.g. turn on interior lights, turn on heated seats etc.

Reactions: s7gpt
Seriously Tesla needs to add their own buttons for heated seats in the rear. The S3XY buttons work, but don’t indicate what level the seat heating is on. This would be a very simple thing for them to add in the rear centre console.

It’s amazing however, I always said Tesla should have a row of programmable physical buttons below the screen, now a third party is doing it for them. A rotary volume knob would be nice also.

would a work around for this be to give them keys on their phones so they can then use it for the seat heaters ?

The app and the 'keys' are not the same thing. You can give them app access without giving them 'key' access which although I have not tried it, I suspect would suffice for their needs. You can then optionally give them remote access the the media controls, which may not meet you needs...

Reactions: kelvin 660
The app and the 'keys' are not the same thing. You can give them app access without giving them 'key' access which although I have not tried it, I suspect would suffice for their needs. You can then optionally give them remote access the the media controls, which may not meet you needs...

Doesn’t the app let the lock/unlock/open the boot and bonnet and arse about with charge limits? It would seem relatively easy to add seat heating as a separate thing like media controls and lock out the rest

If all of these are exposed to the APIs then also an opportunity for third part app developers to make a passenger app more focused on media/heating

MODEL 3 manual (I presume Y will be the same):

"Camp Mode allows you to power electronics through the USB ports and 12V outlet in addition to maintaining the cabin temperature. The touchscreen remains on so you can play music, browse the internet, play games in the arcade, or watch shows in Tesla Theater. You can also control media and climate settings from a paired phone. Camp Mode is ideal for remaining inside your vehicle, such as camping or staying with a child."

"NOTE: In Camp Mode, Sentry Mode and the vehicle alarm system are disabled."
Camp mode is great but a word of warning. if you leave the kids in the car to say go pay for parking and they turn on camp mode to avoid the alarm going off etc then when you return they get out and you go off shopping/to the beach / trainspotting etc delete as applicable. Unless they remember to turn off camp mode when they get out ( spoiler alert: they won't) then your car will then remain unlocked with the ac / heater on until you come back. Happened to me a couple of times one of which was 6 hours + and used 10% of the battery.

• Helpful
Reactions: Adopado
thanks will look into this - cant leave them my phone as they would get up to all sorts if unlocked :(
I’ve set up a Apple shortcut to turn on car heating which my wife also uses before we go out to the car. There’s a variety of ways using different apps and approaches (I use one by Tesla-info as it’s free). Others might be a little easier but cost. Not sure if they do a heated seat on/off but might a way forward, it uses the API like the others mentioned.

• Helpful
Reactions: DeejUK and s7gpt