Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model 3’s First MOT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dilly

Feb 24, 2020
Norfolk
My car is 3 years old on the 26th so I booked an early MOT for today (just in case).

My local garage has serviced our family cars for the last 25 years. I know the owner well and trust his team implicitly.

When I booked the test a fortnight ago, I gave them the Tesla MOT guide (from this forum). When I turned up this morning they had bought a set of jacking pucks for the future. That’s what I call service.

The car passed with nothing to watch out for. 😁

NOPE! You get the ticket, they get the bill and the points
30 years ago a mechanic took my Subaru for a test spin at 95 in a 60 limit. He had 9 points and lost his licence.

That garage lost a customer
Interesting 😁

The garage was part of a very prominent chain in the UK and had a rolling road, so was surprised when they went off with it.

Was just monitoring on the app, seemed like several acceleration/deceleration tests. I'll check the Teslamate logs later if they're granular enough to pick up on it.

Passed with no advisories FWIW.

Reactions: CWT3LR and Dilly
I'll check the Teslamate logs later if they're granular enough to pick up on it.

Wow! 57mph in a 30mph zone.

1677945437075.png

Mine is due and booked in for the 17th March - the only bit I'm not confident with is the headlight aim - I have made a bit of kit for adjusting the headlamps out of wood - 60cm high, from centre point 72cm either side, car reversed 9.5mtr from the wall i place the frame up against - and a laser distance meter when reversing to get that 9.5 mtr from the centre point of the wheels, Its all adjusted so fingers crossed they agree its OK.

Mine is due and booked in for the 17th March - the only bit I'm not confident with is the headlight aim - I have made a bit of kit for adjusting the headlamps out of wood - 60cm high, from centre point 72cm either side, car reversed 9.5mtr from the wall i place the frame up against - and a laser distance meter when reversing to get that 9.5 mtr from the centre point of the wheels, Its all adjusted so fingers crossed they agree its OK.
Tesla SC adjusted mine a few weeks ago. They don’t have the tech you use! Just a line of tape on the workshop floor and 10 panels up on the roller shutter 😂

No vehicle should ever be driven as part of an MOT, other than from were it was parked, onto ramp / rolling road, and back to parking.
Actually, I don't think that's correct, just read through the MOT testers manual:

1677952801810.png

Doesn't excuse the speeds, but maybe they had grounds to do a road test. IIRC it was common on AWD cars a while ago, as was harder to test braking on a rolling road. Not that I have AWD.

Actually, I don't think that's correct, just read through the MOT testers manual:

View attachment 913775

Doesn't excuse the speeds, but maybe they had grounds to do a road test. IIRC it was common on AWD cars a while ago, as was harder to test braking on a rolling road. Not that I have AWD.
Generally for large goods vehicles or passenger service vehicles, and then typically to test steering components, and occassionally for some vehicles to see if visisble smoke is emitted. Brake testing is done on a rolling road. Most MOT testers are so pushed for time they would be reluctant to get the car off the lift to tool around in it - but he was probably having fun so no harm done.