Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My model 3 says full at 210 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interestingly, this morning mine showed a 100% of the 90% charge, which I've not seen in a very long time.

Charge (11-13-19).jpg

230 is not bad, thats only 4%. Mine is 9%. 200 at 100% (supposed to be 220) (SR not SR+)
My SR was 211 on its first charge w/ 3 miles, now it's 207 2k miles later. I've ran it down and back up, charge nightly, etc. I am getting about a hundred actual miles out of it since it is in the 30's - 40's around here now. Makes me realize perhaps I hopped into EV's a little prematurely for my family. I can deal with it but just hope my wife doesn't make a mistake and get stranded this winter, since there aren't superchargers very close here.

My SR was 211 on its first charge w/ 3 miles, now it's 207 2k miles later. I've ran it down and back up, charge nightly, etc. I am getting about a hundred actual miles out of it since it is in the 30's - 40's around here now. Makes me realize perhaps I hopped into EV's a little prematurely for my family. I can deal with it but just hope my wife doesn't make a mistake and get stranded this winter, since there aren't superchargers very close here.

That's always annoyed and puzzled me. I charge to 216 and I work 65 miles round trip away. You'd think that driving 2 days on one charge would be a piece of cake, after all, a 216 mile range and only driving 130 actual miles, I should have loads of miles left. Nope, on the second day as I pull into the garage at home, I have anywhere from 12 to 22 miles remaining. That 12 miles remaining caused me so much range anxiety that I now plug it in nightly (I know, you're all going to say I should plug it in every night, blah.. blah.. blah...). And this is with an average kWh consumption of 236 for the day (yes, I record it and other values daily). This is why I've stated in the past when Elon so graciously gave us 5% more power, that I'd take range over power any day... any freakin' day!

Reactions: super20g
The 12-22 miles difference is likely due to weather conditions. Is it raining? Is it really cold out? Are you running the heater in the car? That kind of thing will cause the range to fluctuate. I've noticed my range drop quite a bit now that it's below 30 out. Heck, it dropped when temps were in still in the 50's too. I used to only charge every other night too, but now I plug in every night just to be on the safe side since it's so cold out, but I only charge up to 80%.

The 12-22 miles difference is likely due to weather conditions. Is it raining? Is it really cold out? Are you running the heater in the car? That kind of thing will cause the range to fluctuate. I've noticed my range drop quite a bit now that it's below 30 out. Heck, it dropped when temps were in still in the 50's too. I used to only charge every other night too, but now I plug in every night just to be on the safe side since it's so cold out, but I only charge up to 80%.

Just curious which model do you have and how many miles do you get at 80%?

I just finished my 1st cycle yesterday and that was were I got the 231 miles. Going through my 2nd cycle as we speak.

So just finished the 2nd cycle of 10%-100% and I am at 232 miles. Should I go with one more 10-100 or just go straight to 90% charges moving forward and see what happens?

Crazy cold here in the NE last couple days.....range has really taken a hit. I was only able to drive 150 miles of the 231 miles the past 2 days due to the extreme cold. I had the dreaded "snowflake" icon on my entire drive home from work.

Should I go with one more 10-100 or just go straight to 90% charges moving forward and see what happens?
You keep asking "should I", but I would join with several other people who would say no, you probably shouldn't about this whole thing. What you are doing is just trying to give yourself a warm fuzzy feeling about the number you see on the screen. You're not doing anything actually helpful to the car.

You keep asking "should I", but I would join with several other people who would say no, you probably shouldn't about this whole thing. What you are doing is just trying to give yourself a warm you fuzzy feeling about the number you see on the screen. You're not doing anything actually helpful to the car.

Just trying to get some feedback...that's all. I have had actual had a few people in this forum say give the 10-100 charging cycles a try considering the car had the drop at such low miles. I can see you disagree with that and respect that. I would like to know what you do with your Model 3 and if have any suggestions or do you think I shouldn't worry about it. Thx.

Just trying to get some feedback...that's all. I have had actual had a few people in this forum say give the 10-100 charging cycles a try considering the car had the drop at such low miles. I can see you disagree with that and respect that. I would like to know what you do with your Model 3 and if have any suggestions or do you think I shouldn't worry about it. Thx.
People are still trying to "solve" something that is just a phenomenon of all of the cars that goes back 6+ years. Within the first several months, that estimation algorithm gets "off" somewhat and will start reading about 5-10 rated miles low. All cars. Always. The 10-100% thing just lets the estimate get more visibility, but isn't helping the battery with anything.

Here's a description about this that I wrote up a year ago:
Who wants in on a class action lawsuit? ;-)

"I think people are talking past each other or not understanding what is being told to them. This is not "being "told something else entirely". These are valid answers for accomplishing two completely different things. You would get entirely different instructions for making beef stew versus baking a cake because they are different things.

The 20%-80% recommendation is what to do for your constantly daily habitual process to achieve the least physical damage and longest possible life of the batteries.
The process of running it low and then charging it back up to really full is the procedure you can do every once in a while for addressing some estimation algorithm and balancing issues to get more accurate readings.

Those are two different purposes and both are good recommendations for different uses."

People are still trying to "solve" something that is just a phenomenon of all of the cars that goes back 6+ years. Within the first several months, that estimation algorithm gets "off" somewhat and will start reading about 5-10 rated miles low. All cars. Always. The 10-100% thing just lets the estimate get more visibility, but isn't helping the battery with anything.

Here's a description about this that I wrote up a year ago:
Who wants in on a class action lawsuit? ;-)

"I think people are talking past each other or not understanding what is being told to them. This is not "being "told something else entirely". These are valid answers for accomplishing two completely different things. You would get entirely different instructions for making beef stew versus baking a cake because they are different things.

The 20%-80% recommendation is what to do for your constantly daily habitual process to achieve the least physical damage and longest possible life of the batteries.
The process of running it low and then charging it back up to really full is the procedure you can do every once in a while for addressing some estimation algorithm and balancing issues to get more accurate readings.

Those are two different purposes and both are good recommendations for different uses."

Thanks for the info. I am new to the game and just trying to see what is going on. My daily commute is around 70-80 miles so would you then recommend charging the car daily to just 60% and then charging to 90% maybe every couple of weeks?

Thanks for the info. I am new to the game and just trying to see what is going on. My daily commute is around 70-80 miles so would you then recommend charging the car daily to just 60% and then charging to 90% maybe every couple of weeks?
It just comes down to your preferences for your situation. Sure, toward the middle is most ideal, but that's not realistically enough range for most people's uses, so go higher for however much range you need to be comfortable with your driving amount and not being worried about running short.

This part is good to know, though, it's not a linear effect of how beneficial each step away from the top end is. Using 90 instead of 100 is the biggest bang for the buck, already getting away from the most damaging effects. 80 instead of 90? A little more helpful, but not nearly as much difference, etc. So when I hear that people drive only 10-15 miles a day and are still using 90% constantly, I tend to think, "You probably don't need to have it quite that high to have plenty of range." With your 70-80 miles, I would probably just go with somewhere around the 80's % and leave it and not worry about it. 60% is unnecessarily low for your amount of driving, doesn't gain you much more and is going to be stressful.

It just comes down to your preferences for your situation. Sure, toward the middle is most ideal, but that's not realistically enough range for most people's uses, so go higher for however much range you need to be comfortable with your driving amount and not being worried about running short.

This part is good to know, though, it's not a linear effect of how beneficial each step away from the top end is. Using 90 instead of 100 is the biggest bang for the buck, already getting away from the most damaging effects. 80 instead of 90? A little more helpful, but not nearly as much difference, etc. So when I hear that people drive only 10-15 miles a day and are still using 90% constantly, I tend to think, "You probably don't need to have it quite that high to have plenty of range." With your 70-80 miles, I would probably just go with somewhere around the 80's % and leave it and not worry about it. 60% is unnecessarily low for your amount of driving, doesn't gain you much more and is going to be stressful.

All great info....thanks for the help. And when you say charging it somewhere around 80% you are saying plugging it in everyday when I get home and letting it charge back up to 80% correct? Should I be always plugging the car in now matter the SOC when I get home?

All great info....thanks for the help. And when you say charging it somewhere around 80% you are saying plugging it in everyday when I get home and letting it charge back up to 80% correct? Should I be always plugging the car in now matter the SOC when I get home?
I would. If you come home with 78% and want to skip a night, you could, but for myself I plug it in every time I park at home, even if I think I might go back out later that day. I have my charge scheduled for midnight, so it won't actually charge up in little increments. If I were to make exceptions to plugging it in each time, I'd be bound to forget at some point and miss charging when I really needed to. That way if I my plans change and I suddenly need a maximum charge the next day, it's already plugged in and I just need to use the app to push the charge limit up. Also, if I always have my normal 80 or 90% in the morning, I'm ready for any reasonable surprise that pops up, where if I let it sit at 60%, and something comes up, I might have to scramble for a charge.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Doesn't matter much either way as long as you're not going really high or low in the charge state. I do usually wait a day or two partly because we don't do much driving, and in case we go out again later that evening. (And sometimes because we have a pretty good deal with 6 cents per kWh charging at work, so I'll sometimes wait a day or two to make that worthwhile.) It still never really gets below half, so it's not going really low. And I don't want this thing of the charge port latching and unlatching 3 or 4 times a day unnecessarily if I were to plug it in every time I got into the garage. That is a mechanical wear item just like door latches or window motors/switches, etc. or other kinds of mechanical parts that can wear out from a lot of use. Maybe it's a little cautious, but I'm out of warranty on my Model S, so I would like to not overuse something that causes it to break earlier.

But these are just minor preferences and conveniences and I'm not necessarily doing what works best for various people.

Reactions: davewill
Try this and report your result....

Look at any of the consumption graphs. Take the Wh/ml and range.
Note battery % (as a fraction).

kWh = (Wh/ml x remaining range) / (battery % x 1000).

Ex. (240 x 110) / (0.5 x 1000) = 52.8kWh

I always get 52.5kWh as the answer. But not tried since V10.0, will report back.
Not to raise an old post, but in my Mid Range I get ~57.5 - ~57.9 kWh. If the Mid Range has a 62 kWh pack, and I had NO degradation, that would put the "reserve" at ~4kWh. Sound about right?

Hey guys, has anyone gotten this fixed yet?

I have a standard range plus rated at 240 miles max. When I charged my car to max I gotten 220 miles. I noticed a range decrease maybe 2-3 months back and been playing around with this trying to figure this out. I maybe noticed the 220 max charge a little over a month ago. I then started to play with the percentages by looking at my miles currently left in my battery pack, then switching over to my car battery percentage. Once I did the calculations it definitely shows my car is maxed out at 220 miles. They software locked my car to standard range. (I still have immersive sound and I believe fog lights)

I emailed Tesla about the situation When I was trying to figure it out. The last thing they said to me was to schedule a service center visit.

I never downgraded my car nor knew it was an option. I live in California, and I’m trying to figure out my next plan. The reason why I want this fixed is because I usually want about 180 miles of range for my commute and have a little extra. The problem is anything over 180 miles on the battery limits my regenerative breaking. When I’m at 190 miles I don’t have any regen breaking I believe. I want my breaks to last as long as possible and don’t want to deal with break dust on my painted calipers. I know some of these are dumb reasons but it’s frustrating having paid for something and having that taken away from you while affecting my break performance because of their issue.

Please let me know if anyone had this fixed or what are the steps. I want to avoid taking a day off for a service center if possible.

They did something with software. You lost about 8%. I lost about 7.5% (standard range - around 203 at 100%, should be 220). Service won't do anything. I went there and they don't know how to fix it. I think only software update will fix it.

Doesn't matter much either way as long as you're not going really high or low in the charge state. I do usually wait a day or two partly because we don't do much driving, and in case we go out again later that evening. (And sometimes because we have a pretty good deal with 6 cents per kWh charging at work, so I'll sometimes wait a day or two to make that worthwhile.) It still never really gets below half, so it's not going really low. And I don't want this thing of the charge port latching and unlatching 3 or 4 times a day unnecessarily if I were to plug it in every time I got into the garage. That is a mechanical wear item just like door latches or window motors/switches, etc. or other kinds of mechanical parts that can wear out from a lot of use. Maybe it's a little cautious, but I'm out of warranty on my Model S, so I would like to not overuse something that causes it to break earlier.

But these are just minor preferences and conveniences and I'm not necessarily doing what works best for various people.

i think the concern is that some of us lost quite a chunk of distance. We are all hoping it is a software glitch. If it is due to some cells or something else with the battery, not only do we lose the mileage but resale value as well.

Reactions: smashcz
Status
Not open for further replies.