Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model S: I've had it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can say it changed this old man's life. Fot the last 20 years I bought used Nissan lease turn ins which were all good buys. I also had a rule that if an out-of-town appointment was over 300 miles I flew. My MS P85 is now over 4 years old and has nearly 100K miles. I have made and enjoyed so many road trips I can't remember them all. A 1K trip to D.C. in 22 inches of snow with no superchargers until Richmond stands out. Later a 3K round trip to Boston and Cape Cod etc and 3K to Key West were with SC and were great. Many trips to FL were adventures and I have seen so many things. Road trips are back in my life as well as the feeling that I had when i was 17. I still get 3-5 waves or thumbs up every time I am on the road and almost every time one person who asks what it is. This was the best $$ I ever spent on myself and my wife pushed me into it.
Love it

Reactions: MarkKW
Well, I passed 5 years a few days ago. I tried to time it so I hit 50k miles on the 5 year anniversary, but I missed it by 4 days. I wasn't terribly committed, or I'd have taken a 100 mile drive to make it happen.

I just want to reiterate that this is still the best car I've ever owned. It survived a potential replacement by a Model 3 and it'll be in my garage for the foreseeable future.

Excuse the dust and reflection!
IMG_0753.jpeg

Well, I passed 5 years a few days ago. I tried to time it so I hit 50k miles on the 5 year anniversary, but I missed it by 4 days. I wasn't terribly committed, or I'd have taken a 100 mile drive to make it happen.

I just want to reiterate that this is still the best car I've ever owned. It survived a potential replacement by a Model 3 and it'll be in my garage for the foreseeable future.

View attachment 391304
Can’t believe you didn’t nail the 5 years and 50,000 miles exactly on the day.... my OCD can’t reconcile the disturbance in the force

• Funny
Reactions: KyleDay and ohmman

View attachment 391304

OMFG your avatar moves his eyes, I thought I was having a flashback. :eek:

It's been well over 3 years since I took delivery of my Model S and I can honestly say I've had it.

What, specifically, have I had it do?

I've had it change my feeling about cars in a way I haven't felt since I was 16.
I've had it move me around town with energy offset by my rooftop solar.
I've had it introduce me to more like-minded people than I've found in any hobby.
I've had it take me from 0-60 faster than any car I've owned.
I've had it drive me as far north as Seattle and as far south as San Diego - on electricity.
I've had it supplant a good number of family airplane trips with road trips.

And don't get me started on my Model X..
Oh that I so wish we didn't have a row of trees to our southern exposure. We we bought here 6 yrs ago it was my intent to put solar on the roof. I didn't realize one shadow essentially shut down output current. The two most aggregious trees are on our neighbors land and they are huge. Currently our electrical costs are 20 cents per KW.

View attachment 391304

1. how did you get that Speedometer on the screen
2. If you can put panel on the West side of the house you get 88% of the solar energy that a Southern Exposure produces, on the east side you will get 85%, on the north 70%

Ernie
Second Model S, first totaled on I-5 Grapevine 50 car pileup 3/19
Airplane BE36

1. how did you get that Speedometer on the screen
2. If you can put panel on the West side of the house you get 88% of the solar energy that a Southern Exposure produces, on the east side you will get 85%, on the north 70%

Ernie
Second Model S, first totaled on I-5 Grapevine 50 car pileup 3/19
Airplane BE36
1. That's the classic speedometer display for a Model S without autopilot hardware (roughly, those built before the last quarter of 2014.) I've always thought it was a shame that Tesla doesn't give AP cars the option to show that speedometer display when driving the car manually.
2. If your Model S was totaled in that 3/2019 pileup on I-5, are you the gentleman pictured here?

1. That's the classic speedometer display for a Model S without autopilot hardware (roughly, those built before the last quarter of 2014.) I've always thought it was a shame that Tesla doesn't give AP cars the option to show that speedometer display when driving the car manually.
2. If your Model S was totaled in that 3/2019 pileup on I-5, are you the gentleman pictured here?

Yep that's me, got a 1/4 scratch on left hand when the airbag deployed. Frame was damaged when the Toyota came down resulting in my 2017 90D being totaled. Visibility went from 1/2 mile to 0 in a matter of seconds, fortunately I had already started slowing down, but the guy behind me made it to the shoulder before me and I was in the wreck.

Oh that I so wish we didn't have a row of trees to our southern exposure. We we bought here 6 yrs ago it was my intent to put solar on the roof. I didn't realize one shadow essentially shut down output current. The two most aggregious trees are on our neighbors land and they are huge. Currently our electrical costs are 20 cents per KW.

I don't have solar yet but it is on my to-do list in a few years. My understanding is that if shadows are a possibility then you get micro inverters on each individual panel which enable power generation from the panels the sun reaches. If you run a string inverter then yes, like a string of xmas lights in series if one bulb goes the whole strand goes dead, and the panels produce no current.

I don't have solar yet but it is on my to-do list in a few years. My understanding is that if shadows are a possibility then you get micro inverters on each individual panel which enable power generation from the panels the sun reaches. If you run a string inverter then yes, like a string of xmas lights in series if one bulb goes the whole strand goes dead, and the panels produce no current.
I've talked to people and they advise against it. At certain times of the year I have full sun on the roof for at least a chunk of the day. There's a second problem, It would never pay for itself. I'd rather encourage our electrical co to go renewable. A friend of mine put up a 28KW or really large system on his house. Maybe it was 20KW and $28,000. He claims he charges his car for free. I explain, no you prepaid $28,000 to charge your car. So that is a key point, do the math. If I were in my 30s and had a sufficient employment radius, in other words close to a large employment center, where I could buy and plant myself for decades, sure. I'm retired now. Frankly, I am not certain wind wouldn't be the better alternative. Wind blows at night and when it rains.