Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My model S warranty expires in two months and I’m looking for an exhaustive list of things to inspect and possibly fix before it expires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the past with Benz and BMW’s I had to complain and describe specifics, such as “customer states squeaky noise coming from from left part or car (would mean that they need to check out suspension or cv boot)”.

— I am looking for an exhaustive list of all items that can go wrong with an 8 year old model S with 100k miles, and then the proper ways to describe those things so that they have to look to see if anything is wrong. Anyone have such a list?

Cool but how do I tell them. Like say he there a strange noise coming from the back of the car?

I think this is a case of either asking explicitly what you’d like them to do - “check rear drive unit speed sensor for coolant intrusion” - or do it yourself.

Upvote 0
My 15 85D is in the shop now with 98k on the odo. Not much to fix to be honest. They are lubing the rear axles due to a click I get during decel. We’ll see if that works. Replacing the last remaining original door handle. Lubing, cleaning and replacing a piece of cracked weather stripping on the sunroof.

Other then that nothing else is currently wrong with the car. I’m getting the MCU2 upgrade due to both my screens having bubbles but they both operate fine.

Upvote 0
My 15 85D is in the shop now with 98k on the odo. Not much to fix to be honest. They are lubing the rear axles due to a click I get during decel. We’ll see if that works. Replacing the last remaining original door handle. Lubing, cleaning and replacing a piece of cracked weather stripping on the sunroof.

Other then that nothing else is currently wrong with the car. I’m getting the MCU2 upgrade due to both my screens having bubbles but they both operate fine.
How much is the mcu2? Is it worth it ?

Upvote 0
We just got our MCU2 replaced and it definitely felt snappier than the original that came with it.

Could actually Netflix with it without it freezing.
Yes. I had issues with navigation being slow (I'd pass an exit ramp and seconds later, the navigation would tell me to take that exit ramp), browser almost totally unusable, voice commands were slow or would not respond at all/respond in time/time out...I mean it had simply gotten..bad. Screen response was super laggy.

MCU2 addressed all of that.

Upvote 0
In the past with Benz and BMW’s I had to complain and describe specifics, such as “customer states squeaky noise coming from from left part or car (would mean that they need to check out suspension or cv boot)”.

— I am looking for an exhaustive list of all items that can go wrong with an 8 year old model S with 100k miles, and then the proper ways to describe those things so that they have to look to see if anything is wrong. Anyone have such a list?
Contact this [email protected] they sell all Tesla model extended warranties. Here's what he told me about their plans

• Inclusive: Since XCare was designed specifically for Tesla, you receive the same coverage that Tesla provides in their Extended Warranty but you pay only half the deductible - $100 vs $200 (Brochure attached – exclusions on second page)
    • XCare is available to ALL Tesla Owners, not just original owners of Model S and X.
    • You receive the same world-class coverage through XCare for Model S, Model X, Model 3 and Model Y.
  • Comprehensive: All of your major systems are covered (MCU/ECU, mother/daughterboards, sensors (excluding TPMS) cameras, radar, battery thermal management, HVAC, braking system, suspension (excluding shock absorbers) half shafts, all switches and actuator motors (seats/windows etc) inverters, rectifiers, transformers and so much more. Nobody covers your Tesla better than XCare. (main battery/drive motor(s) covered by separate eight year Tesla warranty)

• Easy to Use: Your XCare claims process is designed to work around Tesla's Service process. Your bill is paid directly to Tesla at vehicle pick up (Claims Process Attached). No other warranty coverage is so simple for you to use.
    • Tesla does not cooperate with traditional extended warranties because of their insistence on sending inspectors, lengthy approval process, demand for pictures, requests for lower per hour service rates, etc.
    • XCare was designed as more of a payment service, paying full rack-rate for service, insisting on OEM/new parts and never giving Tesla Service added headaches/hassles.
    • We simply pay the bill minus your deductible. That's it.
    • You can cancel at any time for a prorated refund, or transfer the balance of coverage to a private buyer for only $50. This is a great selling tool, as vehicles with a warranty sell up to 50% faster for more money.

Upvote 0
Contact this [email protected] they sell all Tesla model extended warranties. Here's what he told me about their plans

• Inclusive: Since XCare was designed specifically for Tesla, you receive the same coverage that Tesla provides in their Extended Warranty but you pay only half the deductible - $100 vs $200 (Brochure attached – exclusions on second page)
    • XCare is available to ALL Tesla Owners, not just original owners of Model S and X.
    • You receive the same world-class coverage through XCare for Model S, Model X, Model 3 and Model Y.
  • Comprehensive: All of your major systems are covered (MCU/ECU, mother/daughterboards, sensors (excluding TPMS) cameras, radar, battery thermal management, HVAC, braking system, suspension (excluding shock absorbers) half shafts, all switches and actuator motors (seats/windows etc) inverters, rectifiers, transformers and so much more. Nobody covers your Tesla better than XCare. (main battery/drive motor(s) covered by separate eight year Tesla warranty)

• Easy to Use: Your XCare claims process is designed to work around Tesla's Service process. Your bill is paid directly to Tesla at vehicle pick up (Claims Process Attached). No other warranty coverage is so simple for you to use.
    • Tesla does not cooperate with traditional extended warranties because of their insistence on sending inspectors, lengthy approval process, demand for pictures, requests for lower per hour service rates, etc.
    • XCare was designed as more of a payment service, paying full rack-rate for service, insisting on OEM/new parts and never giving Tesla Service added headaches/hassles.
    • We simply pay the bill minus your deductible. That's it.
    • You can cancel at any time for a prorated refund, or transfer the balance of coverage to a private buyer for only $50. This is a great selling tool, as vehicles with a warranty sell up to 50% faster for more money.
Thanks but I’ve heard through friends that some tesla service centers don’t deal with Xcare because they always try to negotiate down on service work. Any feedback on that?

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Upvote 0
Thanks but I’ve heard through friends that some tesla service centers don’t deal with Xcare because they always try to negotiate down on service work. Any feedback on that?
According to an email from the guy there. They don't negotiate. They just say send us the bill and there is a small deduction. And Tesla MUST deal with insurance companies. Here they are registered as a state certified repair shop they MUST ACCEPT. Don't listen to the service techs. Here's the xcare guy info
and ask him if they negotiate the repair price

Upvote 0
Here they are registered as a state certified repair shop they MUST ACCEPT.
Perhaps this varies from state to state depending on statute but here in California Tesla service centers absolutely do not handle any form of insurance billing/subrogation.

The Tesla-owned collision repair / body shop locations of course do - but not the service centers.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Upvote 0