Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My MX delivery experience - QA issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm writing about my delivery experience for several reasons: 1. Document my issues, 2. contribute back to the forum since I've learned quite a bit from other posts so others might benefit, and 3. Hope Tesla continues to improve their QA.

Car was ordered early December in the 6 seat configuration, delivered Saturday 12/31/17 but I was on call in the hospital and couldn't take delivery until the following Saturday 1/7/17. We arrived early for a 3pm appointment but was told our DS was out sick and somebody else would help us. 40 minutes later I politely asked if they had an estimated time and they retrieved a staff member who was nice and helped but the process was a little rushed. I didn't get to look over the car as well as I wanted but since I already scheduled for Benjamin at Bemaro Specialty Films to wrap the car on Tuesday at my house, I figured I had to get it home and look it over there. In retrospect I think this was a mistake.

Main issue:
1. The left second row seat made a horrible grinding noise moving forward but would not tilt forward when I went to fold down the rear seat. When I looked closer, I found a push pin stuck in the gliding mechanism. When I looked around the area to see what trim it might come from, I didn't see anything in the interior. But when I looked at the left rear wheel well, I found the missing spot. Around this spot was a white abrasion on the black plastic trim. Either the car was driven and hit something or something else hit it. Since the exterior push pin can't magically fly into the car, whoever hit it found the push pin and put it inside the car.
2. There are several other cosmetic issues but they are minor: right front wheel black trim is popping out/loose, the right FWD is out of alignment but is not rubbing any chrome trim, the left FWD rubber seal has a minor tear that sticks out into the air when the door is closed, the right second row seat makes a rubbing noise like something is stuck against the leather inside the seat but at least it moves/tilts.

Video of the left second row seat grinding:

Pictures:
1. When I noticed the push pin sticking up
2. Finding out what the hell it was
3. Finding out where the push pin came from. Notice the wheel well trim is sticking out and down without the push pin holding things in place.
4. Then realizing something had hit the left wheel arch.

I've sent an e-mail requesting a Service Center appointment, waiting to hear back. Not sure if the car was scraped during transportation or if the local workers scraped it while moving it around after delivery. If this was known, they should have told me. I'll give Tesla the benefit of the doubt but again, somebody put that push pin inside the car, it didn't magically fall off and bounce in through the FWD.

Attachments

• IMG_7315.JPG
    IMG_7315.JPG
    269.7 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_8086.JPG
    IMG_8086.JPG
    314.9 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_5399.JPG
    IMG_5399.JPG
    352.7 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_0481.JPG
    IMG_0481.JPG
    349.7 KB · Views: 200
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Is your X a 2017? Wondering if you had your front license plate installed (sorry, don't want to hijack your thread). This impacted my delivery experience...

My hood above the frunk also had a gap and needs to be straightened out. This is relatively straight forward. My doors thankfully aligned well enough.

It has a 2017 VIN. Front license not installed (which I prefer). Did you mean you received a 2016 or the front plate was installed?

I received a 2017 Model X with front plate installed. I'm calling BS as I would expect the SC to install the plates, not the factory (DS says factory installed the plate). But that is my reason for asking. It doesn't sound like they come drilled from the factory if your is not installed. I want the SC to fix the problem, but I'm not sure how much ground I have to stand on...

Just an update. SC called back, appointment to drop off the X next Monday.

From looking over the area with Benjamin, I'm convinced there was previous damage then a respray. I found white overspray on the adjacent black trim and the inner FWD seal. I wish they were more upfront with this. Now we have to stop the Xpel wrap in case they have to repaint then have Benjamin come back to finish the wrap. At this rate, it's been driven 29 miles total, the single drive from delivery to home!

Attachments

• IMG_6461.JPG
    IMG_6461.JPG
    216.5 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_1807.JPG
    IMG_1807.JPG
    246.5 KB · Views: 185
Just to update anybody who's interested.

1. Contacted sales about the damage and repaint. They didn't really believe me, e.g. "How are you sure it's been repainted?" Showed them the pictures.
2. Brought the car to the SC. The staff took one look at the area and said "Yep, it's been repainted" and "Sorry, we have no clue how it happened." The car has no local records of any repaint work.
3. Sales puts me in touch with the SC manager who tells me they'll contact Fremont if any records show repair there. I haven't heard back and it's been a week.
4. Sales tells me they'll speak higher up the chain to see what should/can be done. It's almost two weeks now.

Overall I'd said I'm underwhelmed by my Tesla experience. The staff are courteous but the system appears broken. At this point I love the car but I paid a new car price for a car that's been repainted twice now. It still has <200 miles and just sitting in the garage while I make payments because I'm waiting for the paint to de-gas and Benjamin to return and complete the wrap.

• Love
Reactions: Rossy
Wow, that sucks.. the repaint is totally unacceptable for a 100k new car. Ten years ago I bought a new SL Mercedes and when I got it home inside my garage lights you could see the front fender had clearly been repaired. I took it back to the dealer who had dealer traded for the car because they didnt have the color. Through the whole experience they acknowledged the problem and said they would get me new car which they did.
After that happened I have always had a paint meter with me when I buy a new car and I check every panel before taking delivery. Id find someone with one or buy one on Amazon and check the whole vehicle.
To me it looks like the mark on the black trim is from a high speed buffer which may mean the whole side was repainted. Based on the overspray it looks like a terrible repair.
When it comes time to trade your X whomever you trade to will check for repaints, which will greatly effect your trade in value.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby and ps004ynos
This almost denotes or does indicate a fraudulent sale on behalf of Tesla. They should offer a full fix with loaner ASAP, or provide a buy back and allow for reorder. Ridiculous we put up with this, us initial builds, and especially you new deliveries 25k+ cars in on a 100K+ car. This isn't a 10K smart car ;-)

It bugles the mind how QC varies. I purchased 25xx VIN early build and it has only minor issues. I've read a ton on TMC prior to my purchase and it was clear to me that later builds are not any better (crap shoot pretty much). Helped with my decision making.

Never got around to updating but the short of it:

1. Local sales: we can't help you. Sorry, wasn't up to par. Talk to Service though, maybe they can help you.
2. Service: area was repainted as a first step. Good repaint I'll give them that, but still a repaint. They offered to contact Fremont to see if any records show damage prior to leaving the factory (what difference does this make?). They didn't call me back. I called corporate who apparently called local Service who called back right away. Usual line of we're sorry, blah blah, how about a free one year check up, for a $100k car!

Good luck to future buyers, I know there are great deliveries but whatever you do, LOOK IT OVER before you sign the docs and hand over your cash. Refuse delivery until it's all fixed or replaced the way you want it, otherwise you have no leverage.

I'm moving on. Right FWD now squeals on open/close and the right 3rd row seat is locked in the fold down position. Dropping off the car for these issues this weekend.

I pretty much bailed on getting a Model 3. Leaving the reservation for my brother who is interested. I fear for the quality issues with the anticipated larger volume.