Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My open letter to the Chevy Bolt, from a Tesla fan.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree or disagree, it's how I feel. Impulse write-up I did this morning from all the news stories today.

Dear Chevy Bolt,

I read about you today after the internet flooded with articles claiming you are awesome. I popped a few open, read through some of the excitement. The headlines stating "more than the Model 3", "beats the Model 3", "big problem for Tesla", etc are nothing but laughable.

You're cute, and I use that word intentionally. You look like something a teenager should drive. How much do you cost? Wait, whut? LOL. OMG. Teenagers can't afford that. Looking at your comical mashup pint-size design that is basically a mutation of the BMW i3, Chevy Volt, Chevy Spark, and a SMART Car which is completely unoriginal at every angle, I thought this might be a decent electric car for $18,000, even with that horrific gold bow-tie. You cost too much for what you look like Bolt, I'm sorry.

Here's where the jealousy kicks in. The Model 3 is sexy. The Model 3 is classy. You can visualize the "cool kids", "tech geeks", and "professionals" all driving in one. There is nothing cool about you, Bolt. You're as cool as the Scion xA was back before it got axed. The Model 3 is a Tesla. You will never will be, because you have no class. None. Visualize your owner standing in front of a nice restaurant and you pull up to the valet, then behind you, a Model 3 pulls up. Don't be so sad, Bolt...it is what it is.

What's that Mr. Bolt, you're made in America? That's the leg your company has tried to stand on for far too long. Oh wait! Tesla is an American car company. Sigh. I know, it's hard to stand up when you can't lean on your foreign or domestic crutch with this one, I'm sorry.

Super cool range, bro! Yeah. I know, you're thinking, "I can get over 230-miles on a charge and the Model 3 is only 215-miles." Unfortunately that's not a "W", Mr. Bolt. See, leading up to today, you also touted a 200+ mile range and just happened to be able to produce more. Please don't forget, you're going head-to-head with Tesla. The same Tesla who has a ridiculous rate of exponential improvement year-to-year in both quality, range, and technology. How long till the Model 3 comes out? How long does Tesla have to out-do you in every way possible? As the wise talking dog Scooby-Doo used to say, "Ruh Roh!"

I don't even know if I have the energy to get into your interior. Yes, yes I do. Wow, your interior looks like the Chevy Cruze interior from 3 years ago with a better screen. We're talking rental car interior. Hope you catch an Enterprise or Hertz account to help with those sales. Literally, the Model 3 prototype interior is classier than yours. What's that Mr. Bolt? The Model 3 prototype didn't really have an interior? That's my point.

I guess at the end of the day I should thank you. For a moment I had a thought as to what if you WERE awesome? What would I have done? Clearly this is not the case, and you have done nothing but influence me to support Tesla more, and be even more excited for my Model 3. Drive you in the meantime? I'm good. I'd rather save up for some more options. I am happy to see more electric cars coming to market, don't get me wrong, but the bragging and boasting from Chevrolet about this being a "Tesla fighter" is absolute hogwash. Go play in the sandbox with the i3, Leaf, 500e, and all the other children.

Bottom line is that I can see Chevrolet's fingernail marks on the well-walls with you. I can see the scramble and the panic. Confidence is sexy and appealing, desperation is not.

XOXO

Great post. I agree. its what ICE makers do. Take another model and try to slap a electric engine in it. Im sure Chevy hopes they dont sell to many, since most of their dealers would rather sell you a Chevy truck, or a Camaro. If you read about it, the demise of ICE cars is when ICE manufacturers are forced to make less profit from a Chevy Bolt sale because their economies of scale are not so great anymore. The more they sell the less money they make. M3 is ground up design.

Its funny, i bet the reason the Bolt got larger range, is that they put in a larger battery pack so they had some sort of feature to "beat" tesla with. But when you look at it, i bet the M3 will have an upgrade option that will cost less than the MSPR of the Bolt, all while being a MUCH MUCH better car for the money.

....reading the car and driver article. "Production begins at the end of 2016.". So one year sooner than Tesla? Wait not 'PRODUCTION" begins. You wont be able to own one then! They may beat Tesla to market by 6 months...maybe.

It also appears the Bolt price jumped from the original 200 mile range at $30,000, to 238 miles at $37,500

Last edited:
I'm very keen to see the finer detail around the Bolt. To support the dealer model that GM has, the garage attached to the dealer is where the profit is derived (at least in this country) so if the Bolt comes out with a true EV service interval it will also mean a change to make the car sale more profitable up-front. If the Bolt needs to go to the dealer every 10,000km to maintain the status quo it will miss one of the advantages of EV that I'm looking forward to with M3.

Having said that, if Holden Bolt is released and it doesn't mean going back to the dealer regularly...I may consider one! Based on my own experiences - their product is okay but the service experience has been apalling. I've owned 2 Holdens (we currently have one) but the thought of going back for a 3rd round of punishment is not enticing.

I don't mind the looks of the Bolt. It seems fairly practical. I'm not going to buy one though. There's no fast charging network in this part of the country. The nearest CCS charging station is even further away from me than the nearest Supercharger. The nearest Supercharger is out of range to me than the range of any Tesla Model S.

I'm not a luxury car kind of guy really.

guys, we should be welcoming all "players" to the EV manufacturing game.
things shouldn't devolve into a pissing contest! the more ev's being made by many different manufacturers the more innovations we'll see, the more price competition we'll see and the diminishing reliance of ICE cars we'll see.
I say we should welcome the Bolt with open arms and appreciate the car as being another choice for a car of the future for the masses.

But when you look at it, i bet the M3 will have an upgrade option that will cost less than the MSPR of the Bolt, all while being a MUCH MUCH better car for the money.

LOL, I am guessing you aren't very familiar with Tesla's pricing model. Think BMW and it will help. Yes, you will be able to get a larger battery M3 with more features than a Bolt. But it won't be cheaper than a Bolt, I can almost gaurantee that.

things shouldn't devolve into a pissing contest! the more ev's being made by many different manufacturers the more innovations we'll see, the more price competition we'll see and the diminishing reliance of ICE cars we'll see.
I say we should welcome the Bolt with open arms and appreciate the car as being another choice for a car of the future for the masses.

This is like welcoming another kid to the Saturday afternoon football game at the park, only he can't throw very far, he's not big enough to block, doesn't like to run, wants to talk about himself, and claims he's going to be quarterback. Well, I guess we ought to let him play.

GM doesn't want a "Tesla Fighter." Tesla is a distraction. They want Tesla to disappear so they can get back to doing what they know

So true, and I have to disagree with the OP. GM is being shrewd. They are balancing the higher margin loss of sales of their own product (to Bolt instead), versus fewer Tesla cross-shoppers. Sonic buyers may not even have the taxable income, let alone the extra dough, to buy a Bolt and take the credit. Some will. So, they controlled that while keeping healthy margins at Caddy, on the Buicks, the Impalas, yada, yada. There's no despair here. GM didn't have to unload a 238 mile car.

I still like what Tesla stands for, better. I'd still probably pay them ~$5,000 more for the exact same car. But there's a point people are going to get off the Model 3 bus, if electrification is highest on their list, if they treat EVs as "function" mobiles, if they just don't want/need the other stuff.

I don't think Tesla has a good idea the division their customers fall over, because Bolt is the first long range entree. Are they in it for the range, or the Autopilot? Are they more interested in a conventional cockpit? Is it about company virtue, style? We'll have these answers soon. Some are going to go Bolt.

On balance, the Bolt is a positive for the EV revolution. It's a long range EV in a familiar shape, not a weirdmobile, and over time CCS charging stations will proliferate and it will be useful for true long distance travel. GM is likely taking a loss on every Bolt they will sell and offsetting that loss through the acquisition of ZEV credits which enables them to continue selling their high profit gas guzzlers. They are simply taking advantage of the way the system works.

I hope the Bolt is a success because that will send the message that the public wants long range EVs and automakers will then have to produce them. If they don't they will lose market share to those companies that do, not just Tesla but others.

In my opinion the Model 3 will be a far better car in every way than the Bolt, but that doesn't mean there isn't a decent market for the Bolt.

I'm very keen to see the finer detail around the Bolt. To support the dealer model that GM has, the garage attached to the dealer is where the profit is derived (at least in this country) so if the Bolt comes out with a true EV service interval it will also mean a change to make the car sale more profitable up-front. If the Bolt needs to go to the dealer every 10,000km to maintain the status quo it will miss one of the advantages of EV that I'm looking forward to with M3.

Asked and answered: Chevy EV Life: Bolt EV Questions & Answers | Chevrolet

Will be interesting to see Tesla's service interval/pricing on the Model 3.

Agree or disagree, it's how I feel. Impulse write-up I did this morning from all the news stories today.

Dear Chevy Bolt,

I read about you today after the internet flooded with articles claiming you are awesome. I popped a few open, read through some of the excitement. The headlines stating "more than the Model 3", "beats the Model 3", "big problem for Tesla", etc are nothing but laughable.

You're cute, and I use that word intentionally. You look like something a teenager should drive. How much do you cost? Wait, whut? LOL. OMG. Teenagers can't afford that. Looking at your comical mashup pint-size design that is basically a mutation of the BMW i3, Chevy Volt, Chevy Spark, and a SMART Car which is completely unoriginal at every angle, I thought this might be a decent electric car for $18,000, even with that horrific gold bow-tie. You cost too much for what you look like Bolt, I'm sorry.

Here's where the jealousy kicks in. The Model 3 is sexy. The Model 3 is classy. You can visualize the "cool kids", "tech geeks", and "professionals" all driving in one. There is nothing cool about you, Bolt. You're as cool as the Scion xA was back before it got axed. The Model 3 is a Tesla. You will never will be, because you have no class. None. Visualize your owner standing in front of a nice restaurant and you pull up to the valet, then behind you, a Model 3 pulls up. Don't be so sad, Bolt...it is what it is.

What's that Mr. Bolt, you're made in America? That's the leg your company has tried to stand on for far too long. Oh wait! Tesla is an American car company. Sigh. I know, it's hard to stand up when you can't lean on your foreign or domestic crutch with this one, I'm sorry.

Super cool range, bro! Yeah. I know, you're thinking, "I can get over 230-miles on a charge and the Model 3 is only 215-miles." Unfortunately that's not a "W", Mr. Bolt. See, leading up to today, you also touted a 200+ mile range and just happened to be able to produce more. Please don't forget, you're going head-to-head with Tesla. The same Tesla who has a ridiculous rate of exponential improvement year-to-year in both quality, range, and technology. How long till the Model 3 comes out? How long does Tesla have to out-do you in every way possible? As the wise talking dog Scooby-Doo used to say, "Ruh Roh!"

I don't even know if I have the energy to get into your interior. Yes, yes I do. Wow, your interior looks like the Chevy Cruze interior from 3 years ago with a better screen. We're talking rental car interior. Hope you catch an Enterprise or Hertz account to help with those sales. Literally, the Model 3 prototype interior is classier than yours. What's that Mr. Bolt? The Model 3 prototype didn't really have an interior? That's my point.

I guess at the end of the day I should thank you. For a moment I had a thought as to what if you WERE awesome? What would I have done? Clearly this is not the case, and you have done nothing but influence me to support Tesla more, and be even more excited for my Model 3. Drive you in the meantime? I'm good. I'd rather save up for some more options. I am happy to see more electric cars coming to market, don't get me wrong, but the bragging and boasting from Chevrolet about this being a "Tesla fighter" is absolute hogwash. Go play in the sandbox with the i3, Leaf, 500e, and all the other children.

Bottom line is that I can see Chevrolet's fingernail marks on the well-walls with you. I can see the scramble and the panic. Confidence is sexy and appealing, desperation is not.

XOXO

Typical Tesla zealot posting.

So you are telling me the Model 3 interior is "classier" than the Bolt's?

Model 3
model-3-interior.jpg

Bolt
2017-chevrolet-bolt-ev-8_1600x0w.jpg

Those are some pair of Tesla-branded beer goggles you have on. o_O

I agree 1000

Reactions: Ciaopec and No ICE

Model 3
model-3-interior.jpg

Bolt
2017-chevrolet-bolt-ev-8_1600x0w.jpg

Those are some pair of Tesla-branded beer goggles you have on. o_O

Look at all those buttons in the Bolt.....makes it look like a plastic toy car and outdated for a car that is supposed to be the next evolution in driving........

Typical, 'I can't discuss without being derogatory'.

Taste is subjective, which we all know. I greatly appreciate a minimalist approach. I like super clean lines. No! I heart super clean lines. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Not my fault, I have my parent's genes and had no say over the combination. So yes, I'm totally digging no knobs, buttons, do-dads etc... I don't even use most of them in my current vehicle. I'm a typical minimalist zealot; you must be a typical 'hurray for clutter' zealot. Good thing we both have a choice in the EV we want to drive. We'll get together later and compare performance, charging, and AP.

• Love
Reactions: PTADO