Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Pearl White Model 3 with some early mods

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, just posting some more photos for your enjoyment. First, a batch of photos from a recent trip I took up in to Washington state.

View attachment 273998
View attachment 273997 View attachment 273996

Next, VMR arranged a photoshoot of my car since I got my wheels from them. Enjoy the eye candy! More on their Flickr here: V710 Matte Black 20" | Tesla Model 3

View attachment 274000
View attachment 274001 View attachment 273999

Love your 3! Great choices you made! What can you tell me about the 245/35/20? Any reason for going to the larger 245 vs 235 width? Any rubbing? Thanks for all the info & pics.

Beautiful. BTW, what is the name of the tire store you bought the wheels from? How much did the wheels cost each?

I bought direct from VMR. I took a bunch of measurements and they made the wheels custom for me (they make all their wheels custom, so it didn't cost extra). V710

If you buy from them, they can use my measurements for you.

They arranged the tires and TPMS sensors too. They were mounted and balanced when I got them, so I just had to bolt them on.

Last edited:
Love your 3! Great choices you made! What can you tell me about the 245/35/20? Any reason for going to the larger 245 vs 235 width? Any rubbing? Thanks for all the info & pics.

245 is actually a little bit stretched on the 9" wide rims. 255 would probably be more appropriate for that width, but I really like the look of these.

No rubbing at all. Not even close. Will see how it is with coilovers though.

Last edited:
FYI, just finished a bunch of road-tripping on my stock 18" wheels with the aero covers. 2500 miles, including a lot of freeway, but also a lot of mixed driving. Consumption was 266 Wh/mi overall. I'll leave the 18's on for a week of commuting to get some apples to apples consumption numbers comparing the 18's (with covers) and the 20's.

Here are a few photos from my recent trip, San Jose to Phoenix. It's dirty in all these pics. Washed it when I got home.

Kettleman City CA Supercharger
IMG_20180119_144143.jpg

Phoenix Area
IMG_20180127_141632.jpg

IMG_20180127_135611.jpg IMG_20180127_135857.jpg IMG_20180127_141906.jpg
Williams, AZ
IMG_20180128_202031.jpg

Grand Canyon
IMG_20180129_115655.jpg

Bakersfield CA Supercharger
IMG_20180130_164842.jpg

Did you take off your front bumper shadow? Or the pics are not in chronological order?
I took it off for the VMR photoshoot because it was peeling in places. I'm still learning how to apply vinyl properly in a way that won't come up around the edges after a few weeks. I plan to put it back soon, since I really liked it.

Also, for those interested, I'm at over 7,700 miles on this car since taking delivery in mid October. Only problem with it is a rattle in the trunk area that developed in the first weeks and has gotten worse over time. I'll take it in to service for it someday. I'm really loving this car!

Reactions: NAT3
Cmon man. Be real. Maybe you enjoy riding around with your head incredibly close to the roof. You're only saying that because you love the car. The back seat goes right to the pillar for cryin out loud. It's a compact car. 25 years ago I had an 88 firebird... pleeennty of room in the back (cause I didn't have to sit there)

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/49/e3/a1/49e3a17efdb700900bb95f78e06f50db--tesla-s-tesla-motors.jpg
I know it's an old post.. but I'm 6'4 and been in a model 3 last week. I can confirm that there is descent headroom in the back. It's definitely far roomier than any other compacts.

By the way compared to the Model S, It felt that I had not only more headroom in the back but also in the front seats.

• Informative
Reactions: Brando
P0
I bought direct from VMR. I took a bunch of measurements and they made the wheels custom for me (they make all their wheels custom, so it didn't cost extra). V710

They arranged the tires and TPMS sensors too. They were mounted and balanced when I got them, so I just had to bolt them on.
Thank you. I am still debating about getting the wheels or the EVT 20x8.5.

Wheel energy consumption numbers, finally!

Sorry for the delay, I know several asked for these numbers but I wanted to make sure they were representative.

I did my daily commute for a week with the stock 18" wheels with aero covers, then for a week with my 20x9" aftermarket wheels. The aftermarket wheels also have 245 wide Pilot Super Sport tires installed, so between the larger diameter, the wider wheel and tread, and the lack or aerodynamic fairings, it's not surprising the the larger wheels result in significantly increased energy consumption.

Stock 18" wheels: 251 Wh/mi over 346 miles
VMR 20" wheels: 330 Wh/mi over 285 miles

That's a 30% increase in energy consumption! I am certainly glad I kept the stock wheels for road trips. The big wheels look great, but damn that's a big hit. Thankful for the long range battery.

I know it's an old post.. but I'm 6'4 and been in a model 3 last week. I can confirm that there is descent headroom in the back. It's definitely far roomier than any other compacts.

By the way compared to the Model S, It felt that I had not only more headroom in the back but also in the front seats.

The idea that the Model 3 is a "compact" car is absurd. It's slightly larger than my BMW F30 which is a very roomy car and, if really stretching someone could call it a compact if comparing it to land barges.

While it's true that within the same car family models have steadily gotten larger generation over generation (see my picture of growth of BMW 3 series over just three generations) you also have to compare ALL cars across all segments to define things like "full size", "mid size", "compact", "sub-compact", "ultra compact".

e46-e90-f30-spec-comparison-rear-top.jpg

As long as they are building things like this, the idea that Tesla Model 3 is a compact car is laughable.

Smart-for-two-electric-car.jpg

Reactions: Petra

Would you mind sharing the pricing information?

Wheel energy consumption numbers, finally!

I did my daily commute for a week with the stock 18" wheels with aero covers, then for a week with my 20x9" aftermarket wheels. The aftermarket wheels also have 245 wide Pilot Super Sport tires installed, so between the larger diameter, the wider wheel and tread, and the lack or aerodynamic fairings, it's not surprising the the larger wheels result in significantly increased energy consumption.

Stock 18" wheels: 251 Wh/mi over 346 miles
VMR 20" wheels: 330 Wh/mi over 285 miles

That's a 30% increase in energy consumption!

Mauswerkz: You're saying with aero wheels you're consistently exceeding the published 310 mile range -- by an average of more than 10%!? That's amazing. If I'm reading your message correctly, please confirm.