Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Q

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the Tesla side there's nothing to install--- it just uses the wifi already built into the car

You do have to pay My Q (not Tesla) for a subscription to use it though.

It's $45 for 1 year, $179 for 5, $299 for 10.

Reactions: rpiotro
On the Tesla side there's nothing to install--- it just uses the wifi already built into the car

You do have to pay My Q (not Tesla) for a subscription to use it though.

It's $45 for 1 year, $179 for 5, $299 for 10.
IIRC I had to download an app. No?

Setting it up wasn’t ‘plug in play’, it took a couple of attempts before it worked.

There was a free period before I had to pay. Maybe 30 days?

IIRC I had to download an app. No?

Setting it up wasn’t ‘plug in play’, it took a couple of attempts before it worked.

There was a free period before I had to pay. Maybe 30 days?

yes- all covered at the link I mention including the 30 day trial-- the app is on your phone though not your car... you then pair your phone with your garage using that app... then pair your car with your garage (using the native tesla SW)

From my experience HomeLink is more reliable than MyQ
True as MyQ needs WiFi in the house and an internet connection in the car to function. However, the 10-year plan is still cheaper than HomeLink and will outlast your current car; it can then be used with your next car. I went with the $45 one-year plan as a test and the wall unit was free. It is nice that MyQ tells you if you left the garage door open. I have a second unit on my second garage door so I can monitor it as well.

It works the vast majority of the time for me. I do have a hand held remote in the glove box, just in case. At this point I will likely opt for the 10-year plan when I am up for renewal.

I dont understand why MyQ requires a subscription and costs money, the android/ios mobile app is completely free and it presumably uses the same APIs. I guess because they can is probably the answer. I have the app and a fob, but I don't need/want the automatic open on pull in, so it works fine for me.

I dont understand why MyQ requires a subscription and costs money, the android/ios mobile app is completely free and it presumably uses the same APIs. I guess because they can is probably the answer. I have the app and a fob, but I don't need/want the automatic open on pull in, so it works fine for me.
They are just trying to cover their infrastructure costs. I agree its dumb but I can't blame them for the small amount they are charging. Buying that garage door controller 20 years ago (Huge exaggeration on the years) doesn't cover the cost of AWS today.

I have an Aladdin setup on my Genie garage door opener, and it works perfectly. No extra charges and it’s perfectly compatible with the Tesla system. It has an app, so I can control the garage door remotely, with or without the car nearby. Between the Genie / Aladdin system and Homelink garage door operation is a breeze.