Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My request that the Arizona Attorney General's office investigate Tesla's changes to Ludicrous Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
^^^THIS...

It would appear, judging follow up posts from @Walta, the car IS meeting the advertised specs. Which makes this all the more ridiculous that some are still pushing this without any ground to stand on...

Jeff
Here we go with the same old tired responses that we already have 199 pages of. What published spec did @Walta's battery not meet when Tesla replaced it for rapid degradation. Not willingly mind you.

Reactions: Walta
^^^THIS...

It would appear, judging follow up posts from @Walta, the car IS meeting the advertised specs. Which makes this all the more ridiculous that some are still pushing this without any ground to stand on...

Jeff
I give up. You are not processing the information I and others are providing.

You have made it to my "ignore worthy" list.

Here we go with the same old tired responses that we already have 199 pages of. What published spec did @Walta's battery not meet when Tesla replaced it for rapid degradation. Not willingly mind you.

What does that have to do with anything? Answer, it doesn't. Furthermore, Tesla honored it's warranty so again WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?

Good god, countergate as an issue is absolutely an issue and Tesla made some egregious missteps with it for sure. That being said, some of the vultures that have circled around this are amazing...

This is VERY simple. Does the car meet the advertised specifications at the time it was ordered, specifically the 0-60 time(s)? If yes, case close and conversation over. If no, then what is it Tesla did that prevents the car from hitting the advertised specs. I feel like I'm stuck repeating myself here... I keep asking this question and keep getting "well what about X, or Y, or Z...???" I don't give a lick about X, Y, or Z, just answer the question as asked...

Jeff

Reactions: bhzmark
I give up. You are not processing the information I and others are providing.

You have made it to my "ignore worthy" list.

Naturally when people don't have an argument they just bury their head and hope it'll go away... Sometimes they're right, sometimes they're wrong...

So if you really have put me on ignore then you're not reading this which really entices me to say something that'll get me in serious trouble but I won't...

Jeff

Reactions: NathanielHrnblwr
Furthermore, Tesla honored it's warranty so again WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?
Not without a lemon law claim. They stonewalled Walta for over a year. That's the problem and the basis of this thread.

The point is a claim doesn't have to be based on some meaningless number Tesla puts on their website. If your car no longer performs as it did when you purchased it, you have a claim. They can't send out cars to the media, let you test drive a car before purchase, and then let you test drive your car at delivery that all have 565 hp, and then after you take delivery reduce it to 532 hp.

• Love
Reactions: Walta and oktane
Not without a lemon law claim. They stonewalled Walta for over a year. That's the problem and the basis of this thread.

The point is a claim doesn't have to be based on some meaningless number Tesla puts on their website. If your car no longer performs as it did when you purchased it, you have a claim. They can't send out cars to the media, let you test drive a car before purchase, and then let you test drive your car at delivery that all have 565 hp, and then after you take delivery reduce it to 532 hp.

Perhaps Walta's claim in the first place was BS? Likely not though otherwise Tesla wouldn't have caved so easily once the lawyers got involved...

Okay so about your second paragraph... You're simply wrong. Absolutely and completely wrong. I came up with a few analogies but neither were very good for one reason or another. The way I see this is pretty straight forward, some bought a car that was advertised to go 0-60 in X time, but the car was actually a little faster which was causing unexpected degradation in the battery/drive train so Tesla took steps to limit that "little faster" section but the car still meets the specifications that were advertised when you bought it. I don't see the harm here, I just don't.

Now, a little bit of context to my above paragraph because I have only been emphasizing one aspect of my POV. As I said in the countergate thread before, this entire situation has demonstrated to me that it's not worth my money to ever buy a P version from Tesla. They have in effect, permanently lost a P version model sale from me because of it. I recognize that Tesla develops on the bleeding edge and what likely, IMHO, happened here is the envelope was pushed a little too far and now Tesla has to back track a bit to avoid excessive warranty claims. Does that make it right? Absolutely not. Hence why I've taken the position with regards to my purchasing of a P version going forward. I simply cannot trust that Tesla won't again push the envelop to the point of needing to dial it back again and I'm just not going to put myself in that position of trying to figure out just how angry I should be if that happened to me.

So yes, I do get where the frustration comes from and such. My issue here is I believe some are being grossly unreasonable with their response and their demands from Tesla because of it.

Jeff

Wow... You're simply not going to get that, it's just not going to happen.

How is it they aren't delivering on the car they sold you? Is it not meeting the advertised performance characteristics? Yeah I'm aware of the "fix" for countergate but one thing seems to still be missing from all of you who are grossly overreacting, does the car today/right now, hit the 0-60 times specified when you purchased the car? If the answer is no, that's a problem. if the answer is yes, then you have no grounds at all. If the answer is it used to but doesn't now, then that's also a problem.

So the question seems tor remain, what performance are you now not getting that your car should be getting per the advertised specifications when you ordered?

Jeff

Dumb argument. You think only the 0-60 time is what matters? So it can take 20 seconds to accelerate from 60-70 and that is still OK since Tesla never advertised a 60-70 mph time?

I should press for a ludicrous refund too. It really doesn't make any difference in performance now.

• Love
Reactions: Walta
Perhaps Walta's claim in the first place was BS? Likely not though otherwise Tesla wouldn't have caved so easily once the lawyers got involved...

Okay so about your second paragraph... You're simply wrong. Absolutely and completely wrong. I came up with a few analogies but neither were very good for one reason or another. The way I see this is pretty straight forward, some bought a car that was advertised to go 0-60 in X time, but the car was actually a little faster which was causing unexpected degradation in the battery/drive train so Tesla took steps to limit that "little faster" section but the car still meets the specifications that were advertised when you bought it. I don't see the harm here, I just don't.

Now, a little bit of context to my above paragraph because I have only been emphasizing one aspect of my POV. As I said in the countergate thread before, this entire situation has demonstrated to me that it's not worth my money to ever buy a P version from Tesla. They have in effect, permanently lost a P version model sale from me because of it. I recognize that Tesla develops on the bleeding edge and what likely, IMHO, happened here is the envelope was pushed a little too far and now Tesla has to back track a bit to avoid excessive warranty claims. Does that make it right? Absolutely not. Hence why I've taken the position with regards to my purchasing of a P version going forward. I simply cannot trust that Tesla won't again push the envelop to the point of needing to dial it back again and I'm just not going to put myself in that position of trying to figure out just how angry I should be if that happened to me.

So yes, I do get where the frustration comes from and such. My issue here is I believe some are being grossly unreasonable with their response and their demands from Tesla because of it.

Jeff

I don't see it as unreasonable to have my car returned to as purchased and have Tesla bear the warranty expense for their decision to push the battery to meet their unfulfilled advertised claims.This issue probably won't affect all v3 batteries. It is generally accepted that the manufacturers of goods have access to better data to make informed decisions about reliability than customers, and that they can spread their costs over all their customers rather than have the affected customers bear all of the pain.

It's already been argued that Tesla should have known the batteries wouldn't hold up and just admitted they couldn't meet their advertised claims. Of course, that would have created a lot of exposure for false advertising. So here we are.

Dumb argument. You think only the 0-60 time is what matters? So it can take 20 seconds to accelerate from 60-70 and that is still OK since Tesla never advertised a 60-70 mph time?

LOL... When it comes to this argument, specifically countergate, 0-60 IS what matters. It's the ONLY thing that matters here. You're now going to pull completely irrelevant information to this argument as some sort of odd straw man attempt to deflect from my only question.

It's a dumb argument to you because you can't counter it, and I'm not going to chase each tangent down the rabbit hole... Go figure... It wouldn't be the first time coming from you and it won't be the last...

Jeff

I don't see it as unreasonable to have my car returned to as purchased and have Tesla bear the warranty expense for their decision to push the battery to meet their unfulfilled advertised claims.This issue probably won't affect all v3 batteries. It is generally accepted that the manufacturers of goods have access to better data to make informed decisions about reliability than customers, and that they can spread their costs over all their customers rather than have the affected customers bear all of the pain.

It's already been argued that Tesla should have known the batteries wouldn't hold up and just admitted they couldn't meet their advertised claims. Of course, that would have created a lot of exposure for false advertising. So here we are.

Interesting point indeed, thank you for the post. Finally we're both speaking the same language... :)

I can't really counter your post here as I tend to agree with you and hopefully you'll appreciate my perspective after my last post on this issue. I do not see Tesla as the saint here, I just don't think Tesla is Marry Magdalene either...

Jeff

Exponential would be if the speed was the exponent, not 2. You even said it yourself. It's a power function.
At 55mph about half of the drag is rolling resistance which is more or less invariant with speed. So at 110 mph I believe is takes 7 * 8 + 7 *2 = 70 hp to cruise. Aerodynamic drag force goes up as speed squared,but the power goes up with speed cubed.
Which IS exponentially. Trust me on that - I have a degree in mathematics (Carroll College, 1980).

• Disagree
Reactions: hacer and oktane

I should press for a ludicrous refund too. It really doesn't make any difference in performance now.
Oh good, a dose of reality. We now know that it takes 20 seconds for the highest performance Teslas to go from 60 to 70 mph. I'M going to demand a refund on my Tesla, too.

Reactions: NathanielHrnblwr
Which IS exponentially. Trust me on that - I have a degree in mathematics (Carroll College, 1980).

I would suggest you refresh your knowledge. 2^x is exponential, x^2 and x^3 are simple power functions. More specifically, the derivative of an exponential function scales with the value of that function. This does not hold for a power function.

I would suggest you refresh your knowledge. 2^x is exponential, x^2 and x^3 are simple power functions. More specifically, the derivative of an exponential function scales with the value of that function. This does not hold for a power function.
Yeah, you're right. Sorry - brain fart. the squared is an exponent, but the function is not exponential.

Reactions: Walta and oktane
Thanks!

How accurate is this? Since i havent run my car at the track or done any datalogging yet, I wouldnt have a before/after. I guess I could just compare to others.

BTW am I wrong to fundamentally question if this power reduction stuff is even actually happening? What proof do we have that this is real?
This captures the data that the car reports back to Tesla, so It's fairly accurate.

If you have a refreshed p90dl with a v3 battery your power is being limited outside of launch mode. The v3 battery's part number begins with 1088. If you log your power with power tools with max battery ready and state of charge greater than 90 percent, you'll find that it's limited to about 485KW instead of the 510Kw it used to be.

With a can bus logger, you can see that the reason for this is that they have reduced max battery current from 1600 amps to 1500 amps.

• Helpful
Reactions: Walta and Trunk Gap
This captures the data that the car reports back to Tesla, so It's fairly accurate.

If you have a refreshed p90dl with a v3 battery your power is being limited outside of launch mode. The v3 battery's part number begins with 1088. If you log your power with power tools with max battery ready and state of charge greater than 90 percent, you'll find that it's limited to about 485KW instead of the 510Kw it used to be.

With a can bus logger, you can see that the reason for this is that they have reduced max battery current from 1600 amps to 1500 amps.

Awesome, thank you for the actionable information vs the forum banter. Super helpful, appreciate it. Will check it out.

EDIT - quick look at the sticker underneath the car, it says part # is 1071941-00-C - what does this mean in terms of the battery I have (is it a good one?), if they are pulling power, etc?