Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My right passenger window suddenly exploded into pieces while driving. Anyone else had this happen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My right passenger window exploded with a huge bang while I was driving. It shattered into pieces all over my passenger seat, right rear seat and floor. If anyone had been sitting there it would have been a disaster. Has anyone else had this happen?

Was standing next to my Audi about 20 years ago and the driver door glass shattered. It was in Houston, Tx,, hot and Southwest Airlines was taking off overhead but I am pretty sure nothing hit the window. Glass was all over inside of car and 6 ft outside.

Happened to my right rear passenger window. If my daughter had been sitting where she usually does, she'd be blind. About half the window disintegrated into the car while the other half exited and landed on the car behind me. I didn't know about the car behind me until I got home and looked at the rear dashcam. It was night so I couldn't identify the car that my window damaged by you could see it land on the hood and the remaining chunks that were still together exploded probably causing severe paint damage to the hood, front, and a pillars.

Pretty sure the window was hit with something like a bb gun. There's no way it would have spontaneously blown up by itself.

My right passenger window exploded with a huge bang while I was driving. It shattered into pieces all over my passenger seat, right rear seat and floor. If anyone had been sitting there it would have been a disaster. Has anyone else had this happen?
Lisa, I just had the same thing happen with my Model X. And Tesla service at Westchase in Houston doesn't believe it just happened. They are charging me for it. What did your service center do about it?

Happened to my right rear passenger window. If my daughter had been sitting where she usually does, she'd be blind. About half the window disintegrated into the car while the other half exited and landed on the car behind me. I didn't know about the car behind me until I got home and looked at the rear dashcam. It was night so I couldn't identify the car that my window damaged by you could see it land on the hood and the remaining chunks that were still together exploded probably causing severe paint damage to the hood, front, and a pillars.

Pretty sure the window was hit with something like a bb gun. There's no way it would have spontaneously blown up by itself.

This just happened to me but there is little chance it was hit by a BB gun as I was turning left out of a parking lot with a sidewalk and residential fence to my left and the left rear passenger window just exploded. Tesla service doesn't think its a faulty glass problem and thus they are charging me for the damage to my 16 month old cars repair. To and injury to insult, they just reported that after fixing their service garage down closed on my car and busted the top window! That they are fixing for free, but now my car has essentially been an accident. So very frustrated!!!!

Lisa, I just had the same thing happen with my Model X. And Tesla service at Westchase in Houston doesn't believe it just happened. They are charging me for it. What did your service center do about it?
I had to pay too. I saw a photo and story online that showed a window (side) exploding in a parking lot. It was caught on a security camera. It’s claimed it’s an imperfection in the production of the glass.

Happened on the sunroof on my 2011 accord coupe. Just exploded and all I hear is glass going down the back of the car. Also had an 02 S500 and was on the freeway and heard a very loud rock on glass noise, and the passenger window had a huge crack across it. Double laminated glass so it didn't shatter. So it is possible for a rock or something from the road to take out your side windows.