Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Sentry Mini-Rant

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this might be hard for an eccentric billionaire to grasp, but where I live, the type of people who would break into my car are not familiar with the work of Sir Stanley Kubrick.

But they ARE familiar with a CCTV feed inside a liquor store.

I wish Sentry could just display the video feed. Would be so much more effective.

Anyone agree? I think the HAL graphic is such a missed opportunity.

blah

I know this might be hard for an eccentric billionaire to grasp, but where I live, the type of people who would break into my car are not familiar with the work of Sir Stanley Kubrick.

But they ARE familiar with a CCTV feed inside a liquor store.

I wish Sentry could just display the video feed. Would be so much more effective.

Anyone agree? I think the HAL graphic is such a missed opportunity.

blah
Agree. Sentry is too subtle. I like our older cars that have flashing lights on the mirror or on the door locks that can be seen at a distance.

Also would be nice if Sentry would say something like “Please step the f**k away from the car”.

Agree. Sentry is too subtle. I like our older cars that have flashing lights on the mirror or on the door locks that can be seen at a distance.

Also would be nice if Sentry would say something like “Please step the f**k away from the car”.

Yeah. Or just a good old "RECORDING IN PROGRESS" flashing with one of these would speak their language. Would look pretty sweet if you ask me.

_64642576_64642575.jpg

The problem is that would show them where the blind spots are. My concern with sentry mode is what happens if they take the memory card / usb out. Are the videos still retrievable?
Only if you opted into their video data collecting for full self driving agreement. This allows them to use your video footage for their AI to learn from, they say that no personal data is collected however as a good will gesture they're storing the data on the cloud for 24 hours (I think it said 24) so if you're broken into you can contact them to retrieve it.

Reactions: cOoTeR
The problem is that would show them where the blind spots are. My concern with sentry mode is what happens if they take the memory card / usb out. Are the videos still retrievable?
If they want to know where the blind spots are, simply go on Youtube. If there's a will, there's a way. Just because one, two, six cameras are shown on the feed, doesn't mean there aren't more recording not being shown on the feed.

Reactions: XLR82XS
Liquor stores are still robbed all the time by people in ski masks.The point is that people behave differently when they see they are on camera.

The big red dot tells people nothing, IMHO. Most car thieves/vandals in my neighborhood don't even speak much english. Its just an expression of Elon's narcissism - "Oh cool! 2001 Space Odyssey!" Uh.. nobody else is gonna understand that but the owner. When it comes to crime, lets be practical.

Only if you opted into their video data collecting for full self driving agreement. This allows them to use your video footage for their AI to learn from, they say that no personal data is collected however as a good will gesture they're storing the data on the cloud for 24 hours (I think it said 24) so if you're broken into you can contact them to retrieve it.

Source?

Well I got a notification through my Tesla after I'd downloaded the latest firmware (not V10) it came up with a couple of messages outlining what I mentioned above.
So my source is directly from Tesla, although I didn't think to capture an image, so unfortunately, unless someone else can back up my claim you'll just have to take my word for it, or contact Tesla.

Well I got a notification through my Tesla after I'd downloaded the latest firmware (not V10) it came up with a couple of messages outlining what I mentioned above.
So my source is directly from Tesla, although I didn't think to capture an image, so unfortunately, unless someone else can back up my claim you'll just have to take my word for it, or contact Tesla.

Fair enough. I’ve never read or seen any official word about this.