Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Solar Roof Journey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today the Powerwall electricians arrived (with the 2 units in tow). We were without power for about 7 hours. They will come back for day 2 to finish and test.

pw1.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up
odd that you were without power for so long. IIRC during our PW install, our power only went off twice for a few minutes

Hmmm not sure why the diff. In our case the large panel you see is brand new. They had the power off the whole time rewiring / moving fuses to the new panel. I was told our old panel (outside) would only keep non-backup circuits and any circuits that are backed up are in the new panel.

Update: Electricians came back today for their day 2. We got a bit delayed because we hit Thanksgiving holidays and they wanted to come back the Friday after Thanksgiving. Unfortunately we were going out of town so it got pushed back a week until today when their schedule could accommodate. The Powerwall install is now complete as well. We had another hour of power outage while the crew worked (4 people). It was close to a half day for them. Once complete, they activated my account in my Tesla app. Then we ran through all the combinations of power sourcing:
1. Day time, everything working.
2. Day time, grid turned off, solar on.
3. Night time, grid turned off.
4. Night time, grid connected, PW turned off.

and watched the Tesla App power flow to see the proper operation. It's so VERY cool to finally see the system in action. Am beyond giddy. :) Next, the wait begins for final inspection and eventual PTO. Also was told that someone will be back to fix the drywall holes. I think they are planning to do the chimney and this cosmetic stuff in one go. Will update as those steps get done.

pw5.jpg

Daytime, grid outage:
pw1.png

Nighttime, grid outage.
pw2.png

Nighttime, grid connected.
pw3.png

Powerwall off, nighttime (panels off), grid connected. I.e. our soon to be past "normal".
pw4.png

Hmmm not sure why the diff. In our case the large panel you see is brand new. They had the power off the whole time rewiring / moving fuses to the new panel. I was told our old panel (outside) would only keep non-backup circuits and any circuits that are backed up are in the new panel.

Pretty much same here with time of power out. Our entire outside panel was rerouted and rewired to an interior back up load center and another load panel containing our solar and 3 PW breakers. We did a full house back up so basically nothing in the exterior MP now. Being new to all of this I don't think we realized all this electrical rewiring would happen this way and never thought to ask (this Spring we had just paid for a new MPU due to a need for a 225A bus bar not on our old panel so time was spent rewiring everything into the new MP at that time).

When we went the whole house back up option, our installers also moved all the breakers for our exterior BBQ island equipment, outdoor dining area, lighting and outdoor outlets into the interior panels. Not really sure why we decided to have whole house and include those too but we did. Guess if its summer, nighttime and power goes out we can easily move outdoors to cook and eat on hot nights if we want to save on A/C use inside and not drawn down on our PWs. Just something we didn't think much about though.

Last edited:
Update: Within a few days (12/10) got notified by Tesla to upload my my latest electric bill. I did so on 12/11 and now the Tesla account shows the following:

Capture.PNG

So going based on this I am interpreting they have applied for PTO with SDGE. Not sure if there is a way to check the status of that application...

Not sure if there is a way to check the status of that application...

Yeah - I'm in the same boat. A few days after getting a text from Tesla stating utility approval had been requested, I contacted my power company (Dominion Energy of Virginia) to see if they had the request. I wasn't able to get a definitive answer. The power company rep made it clear that they are used to dealing with installers instead of customers for this.

It’s a new dawn...it’s a new life ...

6CA7F1D5-833E-4F73-93EF-C71FD5B7A138.jpeg

69115B85-0A16-4BB0-A80A-3D395D02FCBC.png

In conclusion for anyone else going through this process I have one overarching take away. The dates your given to work with are not “UPS delivery” dates. They are the construction variety kind. Meaning they can be off by 4-7 days. If you have that mindset going into the project you will stress less and have a more pleasant experience.

All in all it has been a great experience for us so far especially given the crazy challenges in 2020. The cash printing press is finally up and running and we couldn’t be more excited. Cheers.

Reactions: house9
solar_Capture.JPG
It’s a new dawn...it’s a new life ...

View attachment 617927
View attachment 617928

In conclusion for anyone else going through this process I have one overarching take away. The dates your given to work with are not “UPS delivery” dates. They are the construction variety kind. Meaning they can be off by 4-7 days. If you have that mindset going into the project you will stress less and have a more pleasant experience.

All in all it has been a great experience for us so far especially given the crazy challenges in 2020. The cash printing press is finally up and running and we couldn’t be more excited. Cheers.
Congrats, you now have another app that you will be constantly checking. I've had solar+PW2's for almost 2 years now and I still check several times a day and I even have the Powerwall Companion app running on my Windows PC 24/7

View attachment 617935
Congrats, you now have another app that you will be constantly checking. I've had solar+PW2's for almost 2 years now and I still check several times a day and I even have the Powerwall Companion app running on my Windows PC 24/7

Very true. I have checked the app like a dozen times today. Figured it may wane off but I suspect I’ll be like this for quite some time. :)

Am going to journal my experience with our Solar Roof install in this thread. Context: Ordered back in Feb 2020. Then Covid hit and the permitting process with the city went dark. Eventually around September the permits came through and Tesla scheduled the install start date for 11/5/2020. That was yesterday.

I got a call late in the day yesterday from scheduling that due to supply and crew shortage my install date had to be pushed back. A little earlier notification than the day of the install would have been courteous, but alas did not happen. In the background, I had pushed and closed on a second loan on the house to fund this endeavor. Everyday that the delay happens I am paying interest for nothing at this point, but not a huge issue so far.

The scheduling call did not mention a new install date, but I checked my Tesla account and a new install date of 11/9/2020 was being displayed. Wasn't sure if that's just a place holder or any more real than the previous (missed) date.

Low and behold, the bell rang today and a delivery of parts for the roof has now arrived. So I am thinking that the new date is real. Looks to be mostly roof material and no powerwalls at this stage. The pallets are marked as phase 1 and phase 2 though not sure what that refers to at the moment.

Will update as next steps happen.

View attachment 605942

Am going to journal my experience with our Solar Roof install in this thread. Context: Ordered back in Feb 2020. Then Covid hit and the permitting process with the city went dark. Eventually around September the permits came through and Tesla scheduled the install start date for 11/5/2020. That was yesterday.

I got a call late in the day yesterday from scheduling that due to supply and crew shortage my install date had to be pushed back. A little earlier notification than the day of the install would have been courteous, but alas did not happen. In the background, I had pushed and closed on a second loan on the house to fund this endeavor. Everyday that the delay happens I am paying interest for nothing at this point, but not a huge issue so far.

The scheduling call did not mention a new install date, but I checked my Tesla account and a new install date of 11/9/2020 was being displayed. Wasn't sure if that's just a place holder or any more real than the previous (missed) date.

Low and behold, the bell rang today and a delivery of parts for the roof has now arrived. So I am thinking that the new date is real. Looks to be mostly roof material and no powerwalls at this stage. The pallets are marked as phase 1 and phase 2 though not sure what that refers to at the moment.

Will update as next steps happen.

View attachment 605942
Excellent on your Journey. Sad to say that my Tesla Solar journey is coming to an end and leaving me to be without Tesla Solar.

I ordered the Solar Roof system with 1 Powerwall back in October 2020, got my permits finished by Feb 2021 and Install assessment was done in March 2021. I received an email from Tesla that Install will be scheduled via next steps and for me to stand by.

I just received an email last night 4/10/21 from Tesla stating that prices have increased and a new Purchase Agreement would be sent to me. To note I have already executed a Purchase agreement in the past which was also signed by Tesla.

On the new Purchase Agreement that I did receive late last night 4/10/21 Tesla has Increased my Solar panel cost by more than $10K with a message if I am not happy I can cancel and they will refund me my $100 deposit.

Very sad to see it end like this and wanting to know if others have experienced the same.

Tesla should never do this to client who are actually at the Install stage I would have definitely understood if I was a new purchaser starting the process now.

Reactions: BGbreeder