Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My TACC has gone from Great to Erratic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my MX75D since December 2016. When TACC first became available I quickly gained confidence in its dependability. As time went on I basically took it for granted.

Unfortunately since the last few updates it has become Erratic.

When I'm in the Passing Lane it will sometimes slow down for a vehicle beside me in the Slower Lane.

If a vehicle is entering the Interstate along side me when I'm in the Slow Lane, TACC slows me down.

It also seems that a vehicle in front of me is now slowing me down much farther away from my #7 distance setting, than previously. However I cannot be certain of that.

Has anyone else experienced a deterioration in the TACC recently?

Reactions: RoBoRaT
I think a lot of this is due to new merging behaviors added in the last few updates. It's trying a little harder to guess what possibly merging cars are going to do, as well as letting them actually merge. Sometimes it seems to get it wrong. I do see some of this behavior, though it still seems to have problems with cars cutting it off (slows pretty late) and cars with turn signals on (ignores them and pulls alongside). I'm sure it won't speed up if that would exceed the max speed, so slowing down is the only thing it can do most times. Also tough to speed up if it's already at the set following distance. But it's trying to be a little more sociable.

My experience aligns with yours - braking for merging traffic that is slower and would not conflict; feeling like it’s hitched to the car in front of you in traffic and jerking you around as that car speeds up then slams on the brakes when it used to buffer, and other bad driving behavior. I’ve seen it go from remarkably good to severely disappointing such that I’ve pretty much stopped using it. Wish they’d focus as much on improving all aspects of TACC and Autopilot as they do in releasing video games.

I'm noticing similar behavior on my M3. Ever since getting 2019.32 I've had very erratic autopilot behavior (mostly TAAC related). It was much smoother on prior software versions.

The phantom braking has been pretty wild on this software version. The autosteer hasn't been great either. Hopefully the next software version will iron out some of these kinks.

Reactions: dsnows
On some roads with recent construction, once I start seeing the intermittent braking, it's easier to turn off NOAP/TACC and drive manually, rather than having to react quickly to maintain a safe highway speed.

Wish there was a setting to disable the automatic speed adjustment, at least until they get this working better...

Reactions: dsnows