Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla Annual Inspection Service Experience I wish for NO ONE, any advice appreciated.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi fellow Tesla members,

I was recommended by a friend to post here as to hopefully gain some audience to the issue , hoping to rectify.

I brought my Tesla S P90D into the Rocklin Service center for my first annual service inspection (they said it is required since I leased the vehicle). I had made the appointment over their phone service who told me that it usually takes between 45 mins - 2 hours to complete and shouldn't be a big deal. Boy was I in for a surprise.

When I showed up, they informed me that they were extremely backed up, and would try to expedite my inspection if possible. I let them know that I used my Tesla for work, and that I needed the extra cargo space to haul my equipment. They said the only thing they set up for me was an infinity coupe loaner, but it shouldn't be a problem since they should finish inspection within a day or two. Since it was a Thursday afternoon, they said that if they couldn't get it back to me on Friday then most likely it would be ready on Monday the week after since they don't work weekends.

I then received text messages on Thursday evening, and Friday evening about continuing delays. I was disheartened, but having seen the line going out their service garage, kind of understood.

Monday morning was the most devastating -- I received a text saying that they had scratched my car. I had to request twice (once via text, next over the phone) for them to send me a picture. There were 3 scratches along the bottom of the driver door (I've attached the pics). I was floored. They then told me they would have to send it to the nearby body shop to repair the scratches and it would take 2-3 more days. I received an alert on my app that charging stopped and my remaining battery had 191 miles left on charge. -- I assumed this is when they transported it to the body shop which when I checked on gps was only 1.3 miles away.

That night I sent a message for executive review through MyTesla-- stating my disappointment in the service and I was frustrated at being stuck with the coupe which I couldn't drive for work (Thankfully I had an older suv I could switch to). I did not get a response.

I did not receive update texts on monday evening, or tuesday evening. I finally decided to text them Wednesday morning and they replied that the car was still at the shop, being worked on and should be ready by end of week. Sure enough when I checked my app occasionally, I would see the doors being opened, the charging port, etc. I thought "ok, they are working on it, cool"

I did not receive a text update on Wednesday evening or Thursday evening. However, I did notice that the battery charge dropped to 170 mi. I thought this was peculiar so I noted the odometer at 8908 mi. I decided to write a follow up message for executive review on MyTesla again, to see if I could get *any* reply and anything to help rectify the situation. I still have not received any reply.

This noon when I checked the app the charge dropped further to 150ish (now its at 147). I checked the odometer and noted that it was reading 8914 (now 8915). I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I'm also trying to wonder what would necessitate at least 6 miles or more of driving to fix scratches, . It also makes me wonder what happened between the last charge @191 and when I noticed it drop to 170 mi. within a span of 1 day, when the shop was only 1.3 mi away.

I texted the service number back and they then told me the car would not be ready until the following Monday at best and would give me an update then. That makes this whole ordeal a minimum 11 days since drop off, and still no response from executive review.

It is now Friday night, over a week after they said I would get it back. To say I'm extremely disappointed would be an understatement at this point. If you've made it this far I appreciate your time reading it. I hope no one has to go through this.

It is heartbreaking for me since I was on the path to becoming a real fanboy, and in a situation to support the company for many many years to come -- getting more Tesla's in my garage as well as professional recommendations. But this experience has absolutely soured that outlook considerably.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? Or am I just the unlucky duckling that fell through the cracks?
Does anyone have any suggestion on what I can do at this point? And how do I go about regaining my faith in their service dept. or customer service?

I have owned an Audi for a long time before this, and never had any experience remotely close to this for maintenance or even when they had to repair, let alone without response from customer service.

Thanks again for your time.

-Curtis

Attachments

• CCScratch.jpg
    CCScratch.jpg
    443.8 KB · Views: 343
  • Informative
Reactions: Falkirk and Swift
...Has anyone else experienced something like this?...

Accidents do happen. Not just to your car only.

The important thing is Tesla notified you of the mishap and is fixing it.

They sound like they are in Service Hell (as opposed to Production Hell) so they may need some support and patience from you.

While at it, you might want to ask: Does this work slow down/stoppage has anything to do with annual employee evaluation departures (layman term would call it as a layoff or firing)?

Last edited:
Hi, @ChuChuTrain,

Sure sounds to me like a bad experience. I sympathize! My experiences with Tesla service have been fantastic... not that that's gonna do YOU any good. :-(

Exacerbated by an "executive escalation" path that yielded nothing for you.

I absolutely think you should let them know, politely, that you had a 2-hour appointment turn into a week+ nightmare, with scratches and poor/horrible communication and so on. Wherever possible, supply them with factual detail. And by "them", I'd start with the manager of the service center and if necessary walk up the chain until you start getting reasonable responses.

While I'd be among the first to say that they are overloaded, and that Tesla service in general works miracles, but that sometimes patience is required, I really can't argue that the experience you describe is/was awful.

There's some amount of reporting bias in the forums, in my opinion, as I believe that people have less incentive to take the time to login and type lengthy posts describing their positive experiences. So I think your experience is (fortunately) relatively rare. But you might also consider making future visits to a different service center, if you have another option near enough to you.

Best of luck,
Alan

P.S. You can't assume that Tesla staff will read this thread and take action, even though we're pretty sure that Tesla staff do read TMC from time to time. So a report here will get you some sympathy and hopefully some useful advice, but is no guarantee that you'll get any additional attention from Tesla.

I am concerned Tesla is behind the curve on service center ramp up. By last fall the Portland, OR service center was a mob scene. The last time I was there the parking lot out front had employees parking Tesla's 4 deep in spots intended for truck trailers (it was in an industrial park). They moved to a new location that was an old factory with a lot more space, but when I took my car in for service they had so many cars on site some new cars were parked in a field on the opposite side of the tracks from the building. I only found a parking space because I came in just as someone was leaving, I got the only non-handicapped spot in the lot.

When I picked up my car in June 2016, they said they were getting two truckloads of cars a week. When the Ranger came out to replace my brake calipers for the recall, he said they were getting at least one truckload a day now and sometimes two.

The Portland service center covers all of Oregon as well as Southwest Washington. The bulk of Teslas are in the Portland metro area, but there is a sizeable population in Eugene, OR (about 180 miles south) and another around the Bend, OR area (a place with a lot of well off retirees). We're about 45 minutes from the service center in SW Washington, but the population out here is growing fast. When I got my car, I would see another Tesla maybe 1-2 times a week, but it's rare I don't see at least one and probably average 3 per trip into Vancouver (about 20 miles).

That one service center was probably supporting about 2000 cars last year when I got my car, but it's probably closer to 10000 now.

I'm sure there are some service centers that are keeping up with the growth, but Portland isn't and I expect a lot of California service centers are even worse. The expanded Ranger service is great, but you still have to take your car in for the annual service because they need to put it on the lift. I'm surprised the OP was told it would be 2 hours, they told me it would be overnight when I called to make an appointment for my car.

Overall I think Tesla is an excellent company and I've been happy with them, but they do have a few problems. Because of their end of quarter mad rush, production makes a lot of mistakes during the last month of a quarter and a lot of those cars need things fixed. The other problem is their service network is stretched very, very thin with the fleet currently out there.

They plan to increase production by 5X in about a year. That means a heck of a lot more cars will be needing some kind of service soon after. I expect the Model 3 will have fewer teething problems than the S or X, but all new car designs have some problems the first year or so. Even if only 20% of the Model 3 fleet have some moderate problems requiring extra service center visits, that's doubling the load on the service centers. Add on top of that the nitpickers who insist the tiniest issues need service and the load will be even bigger.

There was talk of adding new service centers, but I haven't seen much done. Portland got a new service center, but they shut down the old one.

I've heard Tesla is thinking about opening up and allowing third party service for non-warranty work. As the older Model S and eventually Xs go out of warranty, that will relieve some burden on the service centers.

I had my S annual service recently and it was a terrific experience. They were super accommodating and let me choose my loaner(Tesla of course!). I'm certain service would have upgraded your loaner to something bigger once one became available...did you ask?

Honestly, I find it amazing that garages don't scratch up vehicles more than they do. Expecting a place working with heavy objects and power tools to never have accidents is unreasonable. What's reasonable is expecting them to get any problems that are at their fault fixed at their expense.

Which does appear to be happening.

Nothing about the timeframe appears to be unreasonable for body work; you're lucky that there wasn't some huge waiting list at body shops in your area (I'm waiting two weeks for some roof work on my Insight at the moment, and I've had a lot worse in the past). A few miles driving is not unreasonable at all; they may need to move the car between different locations.

Please don't be "that customer". There's nothing wrong with asking questions, but don't automatically assume ill intent. Things happen. Keep your time expectations on repair realistic; ask questions but don't "hound"; and if it comes back in good shape, it's problem resolved, not a grudge to hold. Don't let your disappointment turn into hostility. Disappointment is normal, but don't assume the worst, and put yourself in others' shoes. Everyone messes up sometimes. And repairs take time.

I had my S annual service recently and it was a terrific experience. They were super accommodating and let me choose my loaner(Tesla of course!). I'm certain service would have upgraded your loaner to something bigger once one became available...did you ask?

I did ask, twice when I escalated to executive review. Did not get a response.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I appreciate your time.

Honestly, I find it amazing that garages don't scratch up vehicles more than they do. Expecting a place working with heavy objects and power tools to never have accidents is unreasonable. What's reasonable is expecting them to get any problems that are at their fault fixed at their expense.

Which does appear to be happening.

Nothing about the timeframe appears to be unreasonable for body work; you're lucky that there wasn't some huge waiting list at body shops in your area (I'm waiting two weeks for some roof work on my Insight at the moment, and I've had a lot worse in the past). A few miles driving is not unreasonable at all; they may need to move the car between different locations.

Please don't be "that customer". There's nothing wrong with asking questions, but don't automatically assume ill intent. Things happen. Keep your time expectations on repair realistic; ask questions but don't "hound"; and if it comes back in good shape, it's problem resolved, not a grudge to hold. Don't let your disappointment turn into hostility. Disappointment is normal, but don't assume the worst, and put yourself in others' shoes. Everyone messes up sometimes. And repairs take time.

Ok

I would worry less about is battery drain. Having the doors open will keep the AC on. Also, opening it frequently will keep it from sleeping.

The rest, sorry you had to experience it. I have no idea why any place keeps cars so long for an inspection or simple repair.

Hope this all gets resolved quickly.

Just wanted to follow up on my "like" of @KarenRei's response... I find myself in agreement with that post and thinking about how to reconcile it with what I wrote. I think one of the keys was the poor communication you experienced. You didn't get responses to your texts, you didn't get responses to your escalations, in general you were not kept apprised of what was happening to your vehicle. Fixing that one, single issue probably would have changed your perception of the entire experience.

Moreover, it's an issue that has been a repeated theme since 2013, when I first started paying attention, and based on what I've learned from others has been an issue since Tesla Day One. They are communication-challenged.

So, as @TampRich suggested, another tool in your toolbox is to use the phone. I've also found that over time I've been fortunate to gain a few friends within Tesla, which sometimes helps with the communication aspect. I didn't set out with a specific goal to cultivate contacts and develop "useful people", something that I find distasteful. Instead, I just loved hanging out around the Service Center, learning from the staff, pestering them with questions. That's part of the early adopter thing, which may not be your preference -- and it requires a lot of free time, too. This paragraph boils down to, "customer compensates for Tesla's weakness", i.e., you stretch across the communications gap that Tesla has allowed to open up between them and you. Should you HAVE to do that? No. Nyet. Nein. Negatory. But... if you feel forgiving towards them for whatever reason(s)...

Alan

Reactions: skitown
I would worry less about is battery drain. Having the doors open will keep the AC on. Also, opening it frequently will keep it from sleeping.

The rest, sorry you had to experience it. I have no idea why any place keeps cars so long for an inspection or simple repair.

Hope this all gets resolved quickly.

I think OP "worries" about the battery drain not in and of itself but as a proxy for miles that might be driven while his car is serviced.

The Service crew will recharge the car before releasing it, so no worries there.

Alan

Just wanted to follow up on my "like" of @KarenRei's response... I find myself in agreement with that post and thinking about how to reconcile it with what I wrote. I think one of the keys was the poor communication you experienced. You didn't get responses to your texts, you didn't get responses to your escalations, in general you were not kept apprised of what was happening to your vehicle. Fixing that one, single issue probably would have changed your perception of the entire experience.

Moreover, it's an issue that has been a repeated theme since 2013, when I first started paying attention, and based on what I've learned from others has been an issue since Tesla Day One. They are communication-challenged.

So, as @TampRich suggested, another tool in your toolbox is to use the phone. I've also found that over time I've been fortunate to gain a few friends within Tesla, which sometimes helps with the communication aspect. I didn't set out with a specific goal to cultivate contacts and develop "useful people", something that I find distasteful. Instead, I just loved hanging out around the Service Center, learning from the staff, pestering them with questions. That's part of the early adopter thing, which may not be your preference -- and it requires a lot of free time, too. This paragraph boils down to, "customer compensates for Tesla's weakness", i.e., you stretch across the communications gap that Tesla has allowed to open up between them and you. Should you HAVE to do that? No. Nyet. Nein. Negatory. But... if you feel forgiving towards them for whatever reason(s)...

Alan

Yup, a little more / different communication would have gone a long way. I will give them a call and see where that leads. Thx!

I do understand that accidents happen, and as long as things are fixed then no problem.

Just sucks to be the one it happens to I guess. In no way did I mean the tone of my post to imply I was "that customer" , going to be "hounding them" or even suggested being hostile towards them.

Was merely expressing my disappointment and hoping for other suggestions which I got and I appreciate and will attempt. I apologize for the misunderstanding if that was the case. I'm a person that details everything so I can see how it comes across as so.

Cheers!

Reactions: PJFW8 and skitown
When I got XPEL I thought I would need it for protection against rock chips, shrubs & shopping carts & not mishaps at the service center, so far the entire hood XPEL has been replaced & front quarter panel, lots of employee time & shareholder money waisted.

Hi fellow Tesla members,

I was recommended by a friend to post here as to hopefully gain some audience to the issue , hoping to rectify.

I brought my Tesla S P90D into the Rocklin Service center for my first annual service inspection (they said it is required since I leased the vehicle). I had made the appointment over their phone service who told me that it usually takes between 45 mins - 2 hours to complete and shouldn't be a big deal. Boy was I in for a surprise.

When I showed up, they informed me that they were extremely backed up, and would try to expedite my inspection if possible. I let them know that I used my Tesla for work, and that I needed the extra cargo space to haul my equipment. They said the only thing they set up for me was an infinity coupe loaner, but it shouldn't be a problem since they should finish inspection within a day or two. Since it was a Thursday afternoon, they said that if they couldn't get it back to me on Friday then most likely it would be ready on Monday the week after since they don't work weekends.

I then received text messages on Thursday evening, and Friday evening about continuing delays. I was disheartened, but having seen the line going out their service garage, kind of understood.

Monday morning was the most devastating -- I received a text saying that they had scratched my car. I had to request twice (once via text, next over the phone) for them to send me a picture. There were 3 scratches along the bottom of the driver door (I've attached the pics). I was floored. They then told me they would have to send it to the nearby body shop to repair the scratches and it would take 2-3 more days. I received an alert on my app that charging stopped and my remaining battery had 191 miles left on charge. -- I assumed this is when they transported it to the body shop which when I checked on gps was only 1.3 miles away.

That night I sent a message for executive review through MyTesla-- stating my disappointment in the service and I was frustrated at being stuck with the coupe which I couldn't drive for work (Thankfully I had an older suv I could switch to). I did not get a response.

I did not receive update texts on monday evening, or tuesday evening. I finally decided to text them Wednesday morning and they replied that the car was still at the shop, being worked on and should be ready by end of week. Sure enough when I checked my app occasionally, I would see the doors being opened, the charging port, etc. I thought "ok, they are working on it, cool"

I did not receive a text update on Wednesday evening or Thursday evening. However, I did notice that the battery charge dropped to 170 mi. I thought this was peculiar so I noted the odometer at 8908 mi. I decided to write a follow up message for executive review on MyTesla again, to see if I could get *any* reply and anything to help rectify the situation. I still have not received any reply.

This noon when I checked the app the charge dropped further to 150ish (now its at 147). I checked the odometer and noted that it was reading 8914 (now 8915). I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I'm also trying to wonder what would necessitate at least 6 miles or more of driving to fix scratches, . It also makes me wonder what happened between the last charge @191 and when I noticed it drop to 170 mi. within a span of 1 day, when the shop was only 1.3 mi away.

I texted the service number back and they then told me the car would not be ready until the following Monday at best and would give me an update then. That makes this whole ordeal a minimum 11 days since drop off, and still no response from executive review.

It is now Friday night, over a week after they said I would get it back. To say I'm extremely disappointed would be an understatement at this point. If you've made it this far I appreciate your time reading it. I hope no one has to go through this.

It is heartbreaking for me since I was on the path to becoming a real fanboy, and in a situation to support the company for many many years to come -- getting more Tesla's in my garage as well as professional recommendations. But this experience has absolutely soured that outlook considerably.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? Or am I just the unlucky duckling that fell through the cracks?
Does anyone have any suggestion on what I can do at this point? And how do I go about regaining my faith in their service dept. or customer service?

I have owned an Audi for a long time before this, and never had any experience remotely close to this for maintenance or even when they had to repair, let alone without response from customer service.

Thanks again for your time.

-Curtis

Sorry for your bad experience, Curtis.

You start out by saying you wanted a larger audience, 'hoping to rectify'. Maybe I'm missing it, but what were you now hoping would be done? Not saying you shouldn't share your experience, just trying to figure out what you were hoping to have happen now ...

Sorry for your bad experience, Curtis.

You start out by saying you wanted a larger audience, 'hoping to rectify'. Maybe I'm missing it, but what were you now hoping would be done? Not saying you shouldn't share your experience, just trying to figure out what you were hoping to have happen now ...

It may have been a bit late, but I would have appreciated some contact regarding getting possibly getting a loaner Tesla S instead of the coupe if I was going to be on an extended period without mine, since it is what I used for work.

I guess also hoping for some sort of communication as to restore or rectify my relationship or feelings towards their service appointment system (like for instance, i wouldn't really mind if they had scheduled me one month out, if they could just make sure my appointment would be tended to that day and not be subject to the queue of others, especially when I don't have any other issues or major fixes to be done.) Or don't tell me over the phone when making the initial appointment that it would just be 45mins-2 hrs then tell me when I drive there that they are putting me in a loaner with no set finish date.

Pollux touched on it that a little different or more communication could have gone a looong way towards me not having much of an issue at all.

I generally do not like to leave relationships to feel like this and would like to restore my faith in their care of a customer.

Hope this makes sense.

-Curtis

It may have been a bit late, but I would have appreciated some contact regarding getting possibly getting a loaner Tesla S instead of the coupe if I was going to be on an extended period without mine, since it is what I used for work.

I guess also hoping for some sort of communication as to restore or rectify my relationship or feelings towards their service appointment system (like for instance, i wouldn't really mind if they had scheduled me one month out, if they could just make sure my appointment would be tended to that day and not be subject to the queue of others, especially when I don't have any other issues or major fixes to be done.) Or don't tell me over the phone when making the initial appointment that it would just be 45mins-2 hrs then tell me when I drive there that they are putting me in a loaner with no set finish date.

Pollux touched on it that a little different or more communication could have gone a looong way towards me not having much of an issue at all.

I generally do not like to leave relationships to feel like this and would like to restore my faith in their care of a customer.

Hope this makes sense.

-Curtis
Why don't you talk to them directly about it? Have you told them you're unhappy? Individual service centers don't see the escalated messages - so sending one to that corporate email saying you were unhappy directly bypassed the very people who would have fixed it. If you don't know how to get ahold of the Rocklin folks, please pm me.

The Rocklin team is one of the most responsive (they were my service center from the time they opened until I moved away last year). I find it really out of character for that particular team not to have communicated with you.

• Informative
Reactions: Pollux