Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla CPO Buying Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
:( I asked for the original Monrooney sticker for my car. Again I was turned down. So I've estimated the sticker of my car when it was new. I hate this inconsistency between different Tesla locations.

I guessed mine to. Seeing this makes it easier, actually. I can go this one + 3rd row + carbon fiber spoiler + paint armor and get mine. I thought before it might have been $108k, but now I am thinking more like $106k.

Great write up Andrew. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I'm in the market for a CPO probably in 4Q of this year. If I see something I like before that, I might pull the trigger too.

Question for you or anyone who bought a CPO:

• You mentioned that you should have refused the delivery, if you did, would you have gotten back your $1000 deposit?
  • What was the car's exterior paint condition when you received your car? Perfect? Scratches? Rock chips?
  • How about the condition of the wheels? Perfect? Scratched?

Since it is a CPO car, I can't expect a CPO car to be perfect like a brand new car. It would be great if it is. If and when I get my own, I would like to clear bra my car. Having the paint in excellent condition would help alot, and not worry about paint correction, etc. (save some $$$).

• You mentioned that you should have refused the delivery, if you did, would you have gotten back your $1000 deposit?
  • What was the car's exterior paint condition when you received your car? Perfect? Scratches? Rock chips?

Could have easily refused delivery. Car delivered with a cracked windshield (from highway on flat bed trip for home delivery), wrong rims, missing spoiler, drilled nosecone, acorns in frunk lid. I just took a 'due bill' and all of this was fixed within 7 days.

Paint was 9.9/10. Essentially new. They had repaired and repainted the front of the car fixing all stone chips etc. prior to delivery. some very light scratches that can only be found by a concours judge.

Wheels - 10/10. I got the 21 grey ones that were supposed to be on the car in the first place. As such, new rims with new tires.

Interior 9/10. Rubbing and scratches on leather at door opening on driver's side (common issue)

Overall delighted. Did more damage in 3 months of ownership from day-to-day use than the car had to start with after 24 months of use + reconditioning.

I had window tint, paint correction and cQuartz done within 10 days of delivery.

2013 P85+ with 50k miles on mine:

Paint 9/10 - Great condition for the mileage but road rash and a few rock chips in the front, specifically the lower bumper and fog light area. Picked up a Dr Color Chip kit and plan to fix it myself. Drilled nose cone here as well that I am waiting on a replacement for.

Wheels 8.5/10 - Tires are OK tread wise, not great. Rims were refinished and look good, but have some orange peel, and 3 of the 4 were painted as I can tell a subtle difference in color on the fourth rim. But, no damage/chips/etc.

Interior 9/10 - Drivers side metal trim all banged up, waiting on a replacement. Previous owner had a center console and there are drill holes in inconspicuous areas. Brought it to the SC's attention but they said there was nothing they could do.

Already window tinted, have a spoiler in the mail, and a front camera kit I plan on installing. After the color chip correction if its looking good I may have film applied. All in all its in great shape for a 2 1/2 year old car with higher mileage, but as noted before I am not a fan of the inconsistency between SC's.

See this thread: My CPO (and disappointments) Experience

Paint - 6/10. Almost the entire right side of the car + the hood and rear end (not trunk-lid) was repainted. Half of that was at my expense, not Tesla's.

Wheels* - Overall, 7/10
* wheels themselves - 10/10
* rotors at wheels - 6/10
* tires - 9/10 (delivered with 8/32)

Interior 8/10 - After escalating, the interior was cleaned up for the most part. I did end up with a small tear in one seat and lots of dented chrome on the driver door from the previous owner's ring(s).

Overall 6.5/10 - I have continued to have problems since that thread and spent a significant period of time of the car in service. If Tesla would offer me a buyback on my car, I would take it WITHOUT HESITATION! The good news is I would turn around and then buy another one. I love the car, but have been very unhappy with the purchase experience and condition of my specific car. Not that I would (OR EVEN THREATENING!), but I did look up the details and had my car been bought new, it would qualify under NC's Lemon Law. In NC however, that doesn't apply to used cars.

Again, I am NOT even thinking about taking any action against Tesla. But if they offered me the courtesy of buying back my car so I can get into another Model S, I would do it b/c of all the problems I've had and continue to have.

Having a horrible CPO buying experience. Pulled trigger on CPO on 1/15/16, was told 3 weeks, 5 weeks worst case scenario since the vehicle was located close to where I live. Then nothing for 4 weeks, long story short, come to find out the car I had chosen and put a deposit on was on a "loaner" to another person while I was placing the deposit on it. So the vehicle wasn't even in tesla's possession when it was put up for sale. So the 4 weeks I was waiting-- the person who had the loaner vehicle refused to give the car back. Instead of tesla calling me to explain so I had the opportunity to pick another vehicle, no one called. When I called to ask why it was taking so long, i was given a line about its going through inspections. Then on week 5 still after no car and no communication, they tell me the CPO now had 2k more miles on it than when I first purchased it! Apparently tesla JUST got the car back a week ago! Its now going thru inspections (or so they say, but what can I believe at this point). I still don't have a delivery date, and so now I am basically stuck or I lose my deposit. I am considering another vehicle, for the price point this seems ridiculous to have to deal with this. Any thoughts?

Pulled the trigger on 1/8/2017 Model s 85 with ap1 Was told from the very beginning early march! (I am in the bay area) Hopefully soon. I am nervous about picking it up, i did see pictures of it. (i wanted to make sure the AP1 was included) I was on the list for model 3, but this make more sense for a bigger family car and more range and plus a good deal. My lease runs out on my electric fiat in the summer, but told the CPO Rep that I would be willing to pull the trigger for the right car. I bring my wife and kids with me and will do a through inspection of the car. So if you are looking for a CPO, you should develop a relationship with a rep