Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I’ll provide brief commentary of my Tesla experience, may relate to some. This post is of my views, and I do not intend to impose my views on anyone.

I currently own 3 Teslas, 2022 M3P, 2022 MY and 2023 MYP, prior I had a 2021 M3 SR+. I have a MX Plaid and CT on order.

I am no Tesla fanboy or a nerd but I am into cars, bikes, aircrafts, anything in mobility.

Pre Tesla

I grew up driving VW - VWs, Audis, Porsches and Skodas. My last ICE cars were SQ7, RS3 and Skoda RS.

My earliest engagement with Tesla was in 2015, when I was keen on a MS. The 7 months wait and the support (concerned of the lack of) made me walk into an Audi dealership. Fast forward to 2021, when there were some 1500 Teslas enroute to Australia, so for the first time, I’m able to get into a Tesla in 3 weeks.

Preparation to electrify

Anxiety and questions questions questions! Thankfully, this forum is a great place. People here are generally helpful. So big thank you to those who reached out to me then.

My journey so far

Range - I travel 25K annually, there is no range anxiety with proper planning. I have a home charger installed, but have not used it regularly (2 times in the last 12 months). I rely on free Chargefox public chargers and solar to juice my EVs.

Savings - I have saved circa $4500 annually from fuel, more if I factor in scheduled services required for an ICE car.

Charging - Fortunately, I have a free 22kW Chargefox charger (3km) and a free council 50kW fast charger (5km) near me. Admittedly, I see myself ‘planning my visit’ now as these stations are getting crowded with the increasing EVs.

Behaviour - Moving into EVs will see some behavioural change. For me, other than planning my journeys in the days to come (I keep my cars’ SOC at 50%), one positive behaviour change I experienced is my health. Instead of paying for gym membership, I chose to walk back home when I charge, walking back when the charge is completed. Walking evolved to running earlier this year. I lost 4kg since.

Service - This is where legacy brands are put to shame. I have 20+ services recoded and every appointment (mobile and on-site) is seamless. Note there is nothing problematic here, just being my OCD self, I schedule a service for anything from stains to the seats, trims to rattles. The longest they had my car was 5 days (loaner provided), to diagnose a rattle on the rear parcel shelf. This issue was looked at before, but seemed to reappear. And after 5 days and 250kms of testing, the culprit is my plastic shopping basket handles vibrating while the car is in motion 😂😂. We missed that because the basket is contained in the boot’s well. Kudos to the service team.

Service costs - Had 2 alignments and balancing done, one cabin filter change so far, adding up to $600. Try that with Audi.

Accident - I had 2 unfortunate experiences, my M3 SR+ and my M3P were both rear ended. Both took 5 months and 3 months to get back into the road due to lack of parts. Hope Tesla has upped the game since.

Driving - A familiar theme, driving is different from an ICE car, in a good way to me. Acceleration is instant, speed is maintained up/down a slope and regeneration is great.

Quality - Having seen the MS, build quality is definitely better than Fremont. And it has gotten better since 2021.

Comfort - Comfort is generally good, but not on par with the premium brands. The new comfort suspension is way ahead of the previous set up.

Software - I am not fussed with the typical complaints - phantom braking etc, as we are still the beta testers in Tesla speak. I enjoy driving, I do not engage driving aids regularly. Still, I like how the car updates itself and I find something useful like the signal cancelling function.

Think the above covers the ‘daily facets’ of owning an EV.

To this day, Tesla has matured and progressed. I have tried other cars from BYD to Porsche to Cupra to Hyundai, none can match Tesla’s offerings. And it’s my own opinion. I look forward to the competition catching up, offering good options as we transition to more EVs.

Ta.

F5A6BED4-8115-4FCA-A1B0-C99D5BF1653F.jpeg

Alyuan and others, same feelings here. I own 2x ICE to T conversions and very happy. We should see 2x more family conversions in the future. No regrets, anxiety, issues, etc. Its about the Tesla ecosystem, safest vehicles, great range, amazing OTA updates, SCng when traveling/vastly superior, AP/EAP/FSD wow, mobile app, best user experiences, etc. As we increase EVs/Ts in our family and friends, I am already considering my MYP to CT change when the CT becomes gen 2, my est 2026. Absolutely excited to see the local Tesla delivery center showing more vehicle types when the CT, then M2, then ?, show up over the next 12 months. Go Tesla, Go EVs. This change is historic in our lives and enjoy.

I have been reading messages on a non-Tesla forum from a guy who picked up his new car this week and his having a nightmarish time with it
his most recent post
The joy of Tesla. Still no connectivity, still no maps, and now the indicator noise has randomly gone to a level of decibels that physically hurts your ears every time you make a turn. Not kidding, it hurts. The whole thing is just bizarre.

Our only ever contact with Tesla that's not a 'do not reply' email is a text service so wife texted to say there seem to be issues with this brand new car. Was sent a number to call. Called it and was told by an automated voice that an appointment is required to speak to someone. So she pressed yes. Now have an email saying someone's coming from Hobart to do a service on the car (in Torquay!) and they will shortly email an expected cost for this.

WTF? You've sold us a dud car that wasn't even checked before you gave it to us and now you're trying to send some dude over on the Spirit of Tasmania to look at it AND charge us for the pleasure. What a bunch of jokers these guys are.

Love driving the car but seriously the service is beyond abysmal. No-one checked the car before giving it to us, no-one handed it over properly and now they want to charge us to look at it. Gonna burn the ****ing thing in the street before they get here at this rate.
does anyone know a contact that I can suggest to him for a roadside service, or something?
he’s in Melbourne, otherwise I’d go and see him myself

does anyone know a contact that I can suggest to him for a roadside service, or something?

1800 646 952 is the number for Tesla Roadside Assistance (in Australia)

But that's more for a breakdown situation.

Sounds like the SIM card isn't registered properly, so a service call is the best bet - which it sounds like has been organised.
Normally you organise that through the Tesla mobile app.

Not sure about the indicator volume, but I'm sure the service tech can look at that too.

And for reasons only known to Tesla they tend to send out a quote for a service request even if it's something that should clearly be covered by warranty.
And then of course they won't charge you if it is indeed a warranty issue.

And yes it's odd to send someone from Tassie to Torquay when Melbourne's only 100km away, but I'm sure they have their reasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: schnaxxl
Thought I’ll provide brief commentary of my Tesla experience, may relate to some. This post is of my views, and I do not intend to impose my views on anyone.

I currently own 3 Teslas, 2022 M3P, 2022 MY and 2023 MYP, prior I had a 2021 M3 SR+. I have a MX Plaid and CT on order.

I am no Tesla fanboy or a nerd but I am into cars, bikes, aircrafts, anything in mobility.

Pre Tesla

I grew up driving VW - VWs, Audis, Porsches and Skodas. My last ICE cars were SQ7, RS3 and Skoda RS.

My earliest engagement with Tesla was in 2015, when I was keen on a MS. The 7 months wait and the support (concerned of the lack of) made me walk into an Audi dealership. Fast forward to 2021, when there were some 1500 Teslas enroute to Australia, so for the first time, I’m able to get into a Tesla in 3 weeks.

Preparation to electrify

Anxiety and questions questions questions! Thankfully, this forum is a great place. People here are generally helpful. So big thank you to those who reached out to me then.

My journey so far

Range - I travel 25K annually, there is no range anxiety with proper planning. I have a home charger installed, but have not used it regularly (2 times in the last 12 months). I rely on free Chargefox public chargers and solar to juice my EVs.

Savings - I have saved circa $4500 annually from fuel, more if I factor in scheduled services required for an ICE car.

Charging - Fortunately, I have a free 22kW Chargefox charger (3km) and a free council 50kW fast charger (5km) near me. Admittedly, I see myself ‘planning my visit’ now as these stations are getting crowded with the increasing EVs.

Behaviour - Moving into EVs will see some behavioural change. For me, other than planning my journeys in the days to come (I keep my cars’ SOC at 50%), one positive behaviour change I experienced is my health. Instead of paying for gym membership, I chose to walk back home when I charge, walking back when the charge is completed. Walking evolved to running earlier this year. I lost 4kg since.

Service - This is where legacy brands are put to shame. I have 20+ services recoded and every appointment (mobile and on-site) is seamless. Note there is nothing problematic here, just being my OCD self, I schedule a service for anything from stains to the seats, trims to rattles. The longest they had my car was 5 days (loaner provided), to diagnose a rattle on the rear parcel shelf. This issue was looked at before, but seemed to reappear. And after 5 days and 250kms of testing, the culprit is my plastic shopping basket handles vibrating while the car is in motion 😂😂. We missed that because the basket is contained in the boot’s well. Kudos to the service team.

Service costs - Had 2 alignments and balancing done, one cabin filter change so far, adding up to $600. Try that with Audi.

Accident - I had 2 unfortunate experiences, my M3 SR+ and my M3P were both rear ended. Both took 5 months and 3 months to get back into the road due to lack of parts. Hope Tesla has upped the game since.

Driving - A familiar theme, driving is different from an ICE car, in a good way to me. Acceleration is instant, speed is maintained up/down a slope and regeneration is great.

Quality - Having seen the MS, build quality is definitely better than Fremont. And it has gotten better since 2021.

Comfort - Comfort is generally good, but not on par with the premium brands. The new comfort suspension is way ahead of the previous set up.

Software - I am not fussed with the typical complaints - phantom braking etc, as we are still the beta testers in Tesla speak. I enjoy driving, I do not engage driving aids regularly. Still, I like how the car updates itself and I find something useful like the signal cancelling function.

Think the above covers the ‘daily facets’ of owning an EV.

To this day, Tesla has matured and progressed. I have tried other cars from BYD to Porsche to Cupra to Hyundai, none can match Tesla’s offerings. And it’s my own opinion. I look forward to the competition catching up, offering good options as we transition to more EVs.

Ta.

View attachment 931600
Great post!

1800 646 952 is the number for Tesla Roadside Assistance (in Australia)

But that's more for a breakdown situation.

Sounds like the SIM card isn't registered properly, so a service call is the best bet - which it sounds like has been organised.
Normally you organise that through the Tesla mobile app.

Not sure about the indicator volume, but I'm sure the service tech can look at that too.

And for reasons only known to Tesla they tend to send out a quote for a service request even if it's something that should clearly be covered by warranty.

And yes it's odd to send someone from Tassie to Torquay when Melbourne's only 100km away, but I'm sure they have their reasons.
thanks!

I have been reading messages on a non-Tesla forum from a guy who picked up his new car this week and his having a nightmarish time with it
his most recent post

I’d be logging each issue seperately on the app. It’s usually very efficient.

Reactions: glovelace
his most recent post

Invite him to come to this forum and perhaps we can help.

Reactions: glovelace
The quotes now specifically say something about warranty issues not being charged. I can't remember the exact wording.

But yeah, Service appointment through the app is the way to go.

T OTA update is hitting their vehicles, 2023.12.X, amazing value in Ts
incredible how Ford is promoting in their vehicles all we get in our Ts already
also M3 Highland update this year and CT, these are all great moves by T
interesting how people are comparing the Ioniq 6 to the older/current M3, the highland update will blow past all of the new vehicles in its class
the CT will blow past its competition, maybe the Ram BEV is the only new capable competitor
all great moves for the EV paradigm shift, enjoy

• Funny
Reactions: Vostok
Bump. Would like to read more about your Tesla experience (especially high mileage).

My experience is as follows:
I have done nearly 2000kms in my 3/2023 MYP, MSM colour.
Fit and finish was perfect out of the factory. No issues to report at 2000kms. The paint seems a bit thin and easily chipped. Everything else is holding up well.

The performance is amazing. Nothing comes close off the lights or on the motorway....(except another EVs I guess).
NVH is super quite and the car is great on long drives. Steering is very responsive and the road feedback is perfect. I have it set to comfort mode as I am driving with a full tear in one of my rotator cuff muscles.
I am still getting used to the low profile tyres and worry about hitting a pot hole, which could be an expensive repair. I love the 21inch wheels, they look amazing.

I charge my car at home off my Rooftop Solar and haven't had to pay for electricity as yet. I had an electrician install a 3 phase socket in my garage and I use a 3 phase plug adapter plugged into the Tesla supplied UMC. I can charge the car at up to 7.5KWH.

The MYP is still a head turner even though they are becoming a very common sight on the road.

I had an electrician install a 3 phase socket in my garage and I use a 3 phase plug adapter plugged into the Tesla supplied UMC. I can charge the car at up to 7.5KWH.

My understanding is the Gen 2 UMC is single phase only, max 32A, 7.5 kW charging (Gen 1 could do 11 kW). The 3-phase 5-pin tail for the UMC has only 1 phase physically connected (you can normally see this through the clear barrel) which is why it too is limed to 7.5 kW.

Only the HPWC can do 3-phase, 16A per phase, 11 kW charging (the max that 3/Y can do AC). Or the Juice Booster, for portable charging up to 22 kW (for vehicles that can take it) - but it is super-expensive.

My understanding is the Gen 2 UMC is single phase only, max 32A, 7.5 kW charging (Gen 1 could do 11 kW). The 3-phase 5-pin tail for the UMC has only 1 phase physically connected (you can normally see this through the clear barrel) which is why it too is limed to 7.5 kW.

Only the HPWC can do 3-phase, 16A per phase, 11 kW charging (the max that 3/Y can do AC). Or the Juice Booster, for portable charging up to 22 kW (for vehicles that can take it) - but it is super-expensive.
Yes and you can also install a 5-pin "tail" to the HPWC and use the existing 5-pin 3-phase socket that way.