Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla got thrashed without my permission by Hypertint in Earlwood - STAY AWAY -

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As far as the logs go, it's too bad that Tesla couldn't help. However, this is another great reason to have VisibleTesla running. It has a time stamp, speed and energy use tracking, and it will map the route the car took on any given trip. It's a really terrific tool, and it's free.

yeah but i would have to go to the cop station, make a report on someone, etc etc, its just a mess and its vindictive... i guess no damage was done to my vehicle, and if i did this whole charging him and involving cops, technically I would be the bigger
"wanker" as they call it here in Australia

The point isn't to retaliate or get some kind of revenge on the guy. It's to ensure that he isn't going to keep doing that to other customers. If everyone has the same logic (I'm not criticizing/judging it), he's going to keep doing that over and over and get away with it. If he gets penalized for his bad behavior, he may think twice before doing that again.

If you think about it, what happened to you might have been avoided if a previous "victim" had gone forward with legal action.

-- Greg

As far as the logs go, it's too bad that Tesla couldn't help. However, this is another great reason to have VisibleTesla running. It has a time stamp, speed and energy use tracking, and it will map the route the car took on any given trip. It's a really terrific tool, and it's free.

I have Visible Tesla running on my Mac whenever my car is not in my possession.

yeah but i would have to go to the cop station, make a report on someone, etc etc, its just a mess and its vindictive... i guess no damage was done to my vehicle, and if i did this whole charging him and involving cops, technically I would be the bigger
"wanker" as they call it here in Australia, and i don't like wasting the polices time... they really have better things to do.

Recourse would be through the fair trading tribunal, looking at time vs money, its not worth my time.

ive rebooked the tinting with someone else anyway, thanks Dborn for that Ceramic tinting... never heard of it, but will try

:)

Jake whether that joy ride was illegal can be easily settled by a phone call to a local police, no need to go to too much trouble. Just call and ask, they will tell you straight away. If you do call, get (google) a local police station number and call them. Calling 13xxxx number will not do it.

My view is that you are highly unlikely to get any policeman to take action on your behalf in this matter. Not only that, I find it unlikely that any judge or magistrate will be too eager to side with you in the issue of Troy having your car for a ride. He did not steal your car, he did not damage it, you gave it to him. He did breach your trust, that hurts but is not illegal.

Another way to find out your options is to phone numerous free legal advice lines or to visit your local University Legal Center if you wish face to face with a lawyer. Getting some legal advice may provide the benefit of reassurance and peace of mind, it may be empowering.

Kingsford Legal Center is attached to Faculty of Law at UNSW. You can call them, set an appointment and you'll get great free advice about the best course of action to take. The only catch is that the Center limits their services to local residents only. If your address is not from Eastern suburbs, you have 2 options: Find local University with similar services or find a fried in eastern suburbs and get his/her help.

The way these centers operate: student of law sees you at appointed time, gets your info and story, then goes away to consult senior lawyer. You wait 15 min until senior lawyer advises student on the case. Then they both come back to you to advise on the best course of action.

The center fulfils dual purpose: public service and teaching. I used their services few times and their advice was always extremely helpful and spot on. Obviously it is only useful for small matters and disputes.

After seeing your tint, very obvious green, my view is that you have a fair chance to win some damages at Tribunal for not getting what you purchased, providing you have some paper (quote, contract, receipt) that states that you asked for silver tint.

Tribunal process:

1. Send a registered Letter of Demand to Troy, asking for damages. Letter needs to be very specific and brief, half a page would do. Specifics required: how much you are asking, why, and how to pay. Give him a date by which to pay you the damages, few weeks.
2. After few weeks, lodge your claim at NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal - write up what happened with facts, dates and names, upload it with all the photos, receipts, quotes, contracts, demand letter, etc. The cost of getting a case is about $35, could be different now.
3. You'll get a case number and scheduled date of hearing.
4. First hearing, Troy most likely will ignore, not turn up so it might be rescheduled for few months.
5. If Troy turns up, both of you might have to try mediation first, you both just go to a room, agree to disagree and say to court clerk you have done mediation. Then you go to a hearing in a designated court room.
5. During a hearing, have all your paperwork, quotes, photos ready. Judge will ask what do you want and why do you think you should get what you asked for.
6. If you get the order in your favour, you'll need to enforce it. Get it certified (free online process), then get your order to a local sheriff to enforce (another $35 or similar).

If you have a case you do not need a lawyer. Hiring a lawyer may cost more than what you get in damages. The process is not so difficult. If someone does something wrong, it may be worth going to a bit of trouble to correct the issue.

The biggest hurdle to overcome, imho, is to put a coherent story on paper. That is painful as the storyteller (you) has to relive the experience in which you were wronged. It might take few hours to compose factual story with relevant details. Once you have a story on paper, you are set - it should be smooth sailing from there.

So the trade off seems to be: is few hours of pain worth chasing and getting Troy to pay up? That is really your trade off and your choice.

Last edited:
I do sympathise. Having been around lawyers for a bit, the problem you are going to have is proving that you were not the one who caused the spike. If Tesla can can give you both a date and time stamp, AND you can prove that was the period he had the vehicle in his possession, then you may be on track. ( Just being a devils advocate here, NOT in any way doubting you, but knowing how legal eagles think!!). Also, do you have proof regarding your tint colour choice? If the job was bodgy as far as installation goes, you will need to get that in writing from a qualified person (qualified to make that assessment). I was told the smoky colours are about all standard now, but that may have been because of the brand of film stocked by my installer. Green IS a bit unusual. Bronze or smoky grey are the two usual film colours i have seen on cars. Also, i trust he did not use a metallic film? If he did, then you definitely have a case. It would block all remote transmissions such as from the fob.

Also, i suggest to all others that you track your vehicle with the app while in anothers possession. I did this for the two days my car was getting opticoated and tinted by Reflect Effect. (He did a professional and good job, by the way) It showed the orientation of the car (which way it was pointing) as well as the fact that it was being moved in and out of the workshop (yes, it is that accurate), and which doors/hatch were open at any one time!! Amazing! It also confirmed that my car never left his premises for the duration, and that, as promised it would be undercover for the night while the opticoat was curing.

Hey Dborn,

I've considered getting an opticoat when I've bought a new car.
How much did you pay and how do you find it? Any tips?

I'm thinking of getting it done when my grey D arrives.

I paid around $1400 but that included leather treatment, doing the wheel faces, door edging strips, window tinting and glass treatment. The opticoat really does make a difference to appearance, but more so to removing bird turd for example. The glass treatment is a waste of time. Not sure about the leather yet. I have white leather. Haven't had a reason to try and clean it yet.

I have recently had a story relayed to me of a Tesla on the Gold Coast that had to be returned to Sydney because of a major air-conditioning fault. The owner checked on the car with the mobile app a few hours after pick-up and found it to be hooning around the back streets of Coffs Harbour at 130 km/h.

Has anyone else heard anything about this incident? The person telling me was someone I met at a social event just once, but the details of the story he told seemed very convincing.

To anyone else who has to part with their car for servicing, definitely get Visible Tesla and leave it running on a computer connected to the Internet. I've just parted with my car for a few days and was able to track it, with records, for the entire time it was out of my possession. I even put a perimeter around the workshop it was in and set up an email notification if the car left the workshop. This worked perfectly when the car finally did leave when it was being returned to me. I am very confident that my car was driven respectfully while out of my possession thanks to this software. Communicating with the car like this didn't seem to use significant amounts of battery charge (3.5 days).

I have recently had a story relayed to me of a Tesla on the Gold Coast that had to be returned to Sydney because of a major air-conditioning fault. The owner checked on the car with the mobile app a few hours after pick-up and found it to be hooning around the back streets of Coffs Harbour at 130 km/h.

That's appalling, and I would expect the Tesla would have any future business cut with them as a minimum.

I wasn't aware there was an MS in Coffs, neat!

Opticoat

in anticipation of getting my Gray D in a few months, I decided to get my wife's A250 Mercedes done in Sydney. It is 24 months old and LOOKS JUST FANTASTIC. I will definitely get the Tesla done. Used a mobile service, MATT....details below. The A250 was $600, the tesla should be between $6-800 Very professionally done

Matt Economides
Top Notch Car Care
0411 562 704|www.topnotchcarcare.com.au