Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY Tesla Hates Me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nate704

Apr 20, 2021
Virginia
I think I am doing something wrong here.
My wife and I both have phone keys. When I first approach and open the driver side door, nothing happens since my previous setup was on my profile, but as soon as my wife enters the garage and open the passenger door, the car immediately changes profile to hers with my phone still on the phone charger inside the car.
What am I missing here?

I think I am doing something wrong here.
My wife and I both have phone keys. When I first approach and open the driver side door, nothing happens since my previous setup was on my profile, but as soon as my wife enters the garage and open the passenger door, the car immediately changes profile to hers with my phone still on the phone charger inside the car.
What am I missing here?
I occasionally have been unable to access my Y with my iphone in my pocket. What I've done is remove the phone from my jeans pocket and open the Tesla app. The car immediately recognizes me and I can now open the door.
Try opening the app on your phone before going to your vehicle. I hope that helps?

Are you sure all your keys and driver profiles are linked correctly?

Ours got messed up and the one occasion where I've had to use the actual Tesla key card instead of my phone it activated my Mum's profile and I nearly got trash compactored to death.

Are you sure all your keys and driver profiles are linked correctly?

Ours got messed up and the one occasion where I've had to use the actual Tesla key card instead of my phone it activated my Mum's profile and I nearly got trash compactored to death.
Star Wars flashbacks. Thank you

Reactions: WyoDude
Also make sure yours is set to the "priority device" in bluetooth settings. If hers is priority the second her phone is in range it becomes the main device for the car.
I think the priority device just puts priority on which device has (audio) Bluetooth connection. I am frequently driving with my wife as a passenger. her phone is the 'priority device' - but it just means her calls/txts come through the car. the driver profile seems to be set by 'nearest phone' when driver's door is opened.

I occasionally have been unable to access my Y with my iphone in my pocket. What I've done is remove the phone from my jeans pocket and open the Tesla app. The car immediately recognizes me and I can now open the door.
Try opening the app on your phone before going to your vehicle. I hope that helps?

I have the Tesla key fob as a fail safe, incase the phone is unable to work. Did hear did hear some cases where the phone does not work for whatever reason.

I generally prefer to have a key fob on me as a sense of assurance.