Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla Model S HDMI Interface Install Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple questions:

Does the rear camera take over when you shift into reverse, or do you need to reactivate it from the steering wheel?

Can the FireTV (or other device) use the car's LTE connection, or are you sharing your phone's data?

When going into Reverse, the rear camera takes over, which is nice. FireTV won't use the car's LTE signal since Tesla cannot be made a hotspot.

Its here!
Just got done installing and I am very happy with it.
Purchased from
[Reservation] HDMI Interface Box for Model S / X - 30 Dec/18 shipment

Let me know if you have any questions

Excellent video. I pretty much mounted it identically to the way you did it. I was hoping to find a flat spot and use double sided tape to mount both boxes, but there really isn't any place to put it besides that one hole which is what you did as well. I was worried the boxes would shake around and rattle, but I haven't heard anything yet. It's a lot of wires in a tight space. I used electrical tape to tie a lot of the wires together as opposed to zip ties but either works fine.

Excellent video. I pretty much mounted it identically to the way you did it. I was hoping to find a flat spot and use double sided tape to mount both boxes, but there really isn't any place to put it besides that one hole which is what you did as well. I was worried the boxes would shake around and rattle, but I haven't heard anything yet. It's a lot of wires in a tight space. I used electrical tape to tie a lot of the wires together as opposed to zip ties but either works fine.
Thank you. I was hoping to do the same thing but no flat spaces.

I dont think my firestick is going to work. I cant get it paired to the bluetooth in the car. I think I will just end up using my phone as a the video source. Im happy I put the hdmi cable where it is so I can quickly plug it in if I need to.

Im really impressed with the shortcut used to switch between the hdmi sources. Super simple and it works every time. It feels like a product made by Tesla themselves. Very happy with the purchase. Gives me something to do while waiting at superchargers.

The manufacturer saw my video and emailed me the manual. Turns out I installed it incorrectly. The way I installed it is for AP1 cars. I should have used the camera cable coming out of the AP 2.0 box.
The reason for this is in case the car needs to use the backup camera for FSD. If the hdmi input is enabled it wont be able to use the backup camera unless I rewire it coming out of the AP 2.0 box. The AP 2.0 box is behind the glove box. Its not necessary for me to change it anytime soon and I dont plan on using the hdmi interface while driving. FSD is also nowhere insight so not a complete priority at the moment.

I dont think my firestick is going to work. I cant get it paired to the bluetooth in the car. I think I will just end up using my phone as a the video source. Im happy I put the hdmi cable where it is so I can quickly plug it in if I need to.

Im really impressed with the shortcut used to switch between the hdmi sources. Super simple and it works every time. It feels like a product made by Tesla themselves. Very happy with the purchase. Gives me something to do while waiting at superchargers.

The manufacturer saw my video and emailed me the manual. Turns out I installed it incorrectly. The way I installed it is for AP1 cars. I should have used the camera cable coming out of the AP 2.0 box.
The reason for this is in case the car needs to use the backup camera for FSD. If the hdmi input is enabled it wont be able to use the backup camera unless I rewire it coming out of the AP 2.0 box. The AP 2.0 box is behind the glove box. Its not necessary for me to change it anytime soon and I dont plan on using the hdmi interface while driving. FSD is also nowhere insight so not a complete priority at the moment.
You might want to rethink that. Tesla is currently using the rear camera and it has its own Neruao Network running 100% of the time. You'll notice that the IC displays vehicles behind you as they're being detected in the rear camera. You should rewire this so that APE can see your rear camera. Otherwise your vehicle will constantly be throwing errors it he background

You might want to rethink that. Tesla is currently using the rear camera and it has its own Neruao Network running 100% of the time. You'll notice that the IC displays vehicles behind you as they're being detected in the rear camera. You should rewire this so that APE can see your rear camera. Otherwise your vehicle will constantly be throwing errors it he background
That is a good tip didn't think about that. I'll try and rewire today

Going to try and figure it out today. Can't see the firestick working but I'm going to try a chromecast. Not sure if the chromecast works without being connected to wifi
Neither the fire stick, Chrome cast, nor apple tv will connect to the Tesla bluetooth (sadly).

I spent yesterday wiring up an HDMI > HDMI + 3.5mm audio > FM Transmitter (to eliminate audio delay of bluetooth) so that my appletv Gen 4 can play video and my fm radio can receive the audio. Now I can stream wirelessly to mcu

Reactions: BearBu
I
Neither the fire stick, Chrome cast, nor apple tv will connect to the Tesla bluetooth (sadly).

I spent yesterday wiring up an HDMI > HDMI + 3.5mm audio > FM Transmitter (to eliminate audio delay of bluetooth) so that my appletv Gen 4 can play video and my fm radio can receive the audio. Now I can stream wirelessly to mcu
I was hoping to use screen mirroring for the chromecast. Think that would work?

Sorry, this is on ios. Android may allow you to stream audio over Bluetooth from the phone while sending video over the Chrome cast. Ios will not
I might be giving up on the chromecast. Requires it to be connected to a wifi network in order for it to operate. Sure I can setup a wifi network in my car but then my phone wont have any internet being connected to the dummy wifi network.
Wish I bought the miracast streamer from the seller

You made it? Hey! You are very fast!

So how’s the audio sync from FM transmitter? I guess it’s better than BLU?

get the miracast from aliexpress.com, its my go to site for getting made in china stuff (almost everything) when shipping time is not an issue.
Thank you for the recommendation. I went on ebay and they seem to have the same prices but ship from the USA.
The issue I see with the miracast is it wont support encrypted content like youtube and netflix. I am waiting on my usb c to hdmi to cable to see if that will work out.

Hi

I got mine today but no manual. Could you please post a download link for the manual? I have AP2.5

Hi

I got mine today but no manual. Could you please post a download link for the manual? I have AP2.5

Hi Toofan

Here is the installation instruction FYI

We have also attached the QR codes for the down links of the installation instruction alone with the packing

Best Regards
Tommy (BearBu)

Attachments

• Installation Guide for AP2_AP2_5.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 317