Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla Model X delivery nightmare continues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Start with this one on Jan 9th:
If I don't want to take it, can I ask them to rebuild one or does that mean I lost my $2500 deposit?

And your next posting was:
Thanks everyone for the reply!

Any suggestions on how to escalate this to get someone at Tesla's attention to help resolve the issue?

... after some time with a bunch of other things said ...

There was no speculation of your intention on my part. My reply to you included your statement, "If they treat this as a reorder, I'm happy to enjoy the 7-day cancellation policy and get my money back."

And note the rest of that sentence saying apparently they were not treating it that way. I was purely using that to argue that it was frustrating that they want to take away the no free supercharging from the rebuild.

You've claimed that they offered to rebuild your car and are walking back on that offer and taking away features. But in reality, YOU initiated that demand, and they're merely pointing out the details of your desired "option". Different perspectives, different results.

And using the 7-day cancellation policy as a support argument tells us more than you'd like us to know about what's frustrating you with this deal.

I see people nit-pick all the time when haggling to lower sale prices (I do it myself if I knew haggling was expected). But this wasn't the right product nor company to do that with. Why I'm wasting more time on this thread, I don't know?!?!

Reactions: Krugerrand
Some advice from somebody in a similar situation.

So - I went eyes wide open with my purchase. I knew it wouldn't be perfect. I did however read all the threads ahead of time, knew what might be wrong when I took delivery, and saw one consistent theme - Tesla always fixes the car if you give them the chance. Based on this I wrote down every issue (no matter how small) enjoyed my car for the last month, and am taking it in for service Monday to have those problems fixed. Most are small paint defects, a few trim issues, and some alignment items. All cosmetic problems.

If anyone has had a bad experience with someone fixing a vehicle after you give Tesla the chance, please chime in. But based on your issues I have a simple suggestion:

Let them fix the car - I am sure it will be great when they are done and you keep the free supercharging.

Take a loaner while they do it - enjoy the free miles on the loaner while it is being fixed.

I got over my obsession about getting a "perfect" item a long time ago. Everything has its issues - nothing manufactured, handmade, or otherwise is forged by Zeus in Mount Olympus as a perfect thing. Better to stick with what you have, get it fixed, and be happy. Playing roulette with this and hoping the next car is better is a bad idea in my opinion - the new one will have some other issue... everything does. I even saw a picture the other day of that new Bentley SUV with an alignment issue - these cars are made by humans - not perfect things.

Just my two cents. Other option is upgrade to a 100D when you re-order and be happy with that instead of the free supercharging. I like free supercharging on my MX 90D for life so I would vote for just fixing your car.

Good luck!

So - I went eyes wide open with my purchase. I knew it wouldn't be perfect. I did however read all the threads ahead of time, knew what might be wrong when I took delivery, and saw one consistent theme - Tesla always fixes the car if you give them the chance. Based on this I wrote down every issue (no matter how small) enjoyed my car for the last month, and am taking it in for service Monday to have those problems fixed. Most are small paint defects, a few trim issues, and some alignment items. All cosmetic problems.

If anyone has had a bad experience with someone fixing a vehicle after you give Tesla the chance, please chime in. But based on your issues I have a simple suggestion:

Let them fix the car - I am sure it will be great when they are done and you keep the free supercharging.

Take a loaner while they do it - enjoy the free miles on the loaner while it is being fixed.

I got over my obsession about getting a "perfect" item a long time ago. Everything has its issues - nothing manufactured, handmade, or otherwise is forged by Zeus in Mount Olympus as a perfect thing. Better to stick with what you have, get it fixed, and be happy. Playing roulette with this and hoping the next car is better is a bad idea in my opinion - the new one will have some other issue... everything does. I even saw a picture the other day of that new Bentley SUV with an alignment issue - these cars are made by humans - not perfect things.

Just my two cents. Other option is upgrade to a 100D when you re-order and be happy with that instead of the free supercharging. I like free supercharging on my MX 90D for life so I would vote for just fixing your car.

Good luck!
Thanks for your sensible response!

Upgrading to a 100D seems to be a good compromise if keeping my original configuration with free supercharging does not work out. I'm still waiting to hear back from their regional sales manager. Hopefully it'll all get resolved.

Good luck!
So you have not taken the car in yet. Let's revisit if they were able to fix everything to your satisfaction when you get the car back.

Seems like there were options short of refusal that were not tried. The issue about dust/gravel on the tires however, strikes me as just plain silly -- and I say that an someone who is compulsive about detailing my car.

Anyone who has been to the Seattle Service Center knows that the roads in that area are not in great shape. If the car at any point in time was outside the confines of the building, it was going to travel over gravel or crumbling pavement. Short of putting tire sized surgeon's booties on the car or having the car magically hover off the delivery truck and into the service center, there is no way for the car to avoid that sort of thing.

Reactions: bushburner
So you have not taken the car in yet. Let's revisit if they were able to fix everything to your satisfaction when you get the car back.
Yeah - will keep you all posted after they are done with it. Keeping a positive attitude. All the other posts and stories I have found indicate the cars were basically perfect when they finished with the fixes. Hoping to have a similar experience with the repairs.

• Informative
Reactions: ModelX
Just got the car back - took a bit but they went out of their way to make sure everything was right. Two parts are on order still, but those were minor items they can do during a later service.

Bottom line is the car looks great. They resolved everything I asked to be fixed and did a really nice job. My advice - let Tesla try to fix the car if there is something wrong - that is what a warranty is for.

Curious how your situation turned out, but really happy with the great job Tesla did on my car.