Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My TeslaCam keeps failing.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a SanDisk 32GB USB 2.0 stick for $9.00 from Amazon. Come to think of it, maybe that's my problem! Anyhow, I formatted it using FAT32 and put the TeslaCam folder at root. No other files.

I can maybe go 2 days before it fails. It will work for the length of my drive but then (randomly) when coming back to my car, I'll get the grey X instead of the red dot.

This ALWAYS requires a reformat of the drive to regain function. No amount of button mashing or unplug/plug in will get it to work.

Is it just me? Do I need to buy a better USB stick or is there some magical format trick for this to remain stable?

AP2.5, MCU1 v2018.48.12.1

I've had the same problem. I plug into Windows 10, which sees trouble in the file system and wants to "fix the problem". I always let it. This seems to bring the device back to life. FWIW, I bought 6 drives, keep one plugged in and have the other 5 at the ready when the grey "X" shows up.

Like you, I don't know if this is a hardware or software problem, but "fixing" the drive makes it usable again. Once I got over that initial threshold of disk repair for a couple of weeks, I haven't had any problems since (with the same flash drives).

Oh, The joy of using a crappy, non journalling file system like FAT. You can thank Microsoft.

EXT4 would work wellw but windows users are denied technology thattis better, or newer than the 90's.
That said, Tesla could do automatic dosfsck.

I posted about this in December and its still and unresolved problem for me. After a few days the USB stops working. I check the drive and Windows wants to scan and fix it. Its then readable and the videos are in the TeslaCam folder.

However there is a new folder created called .cache. In the that folder is a subfolder called gsstreamer.
It seems at some point, the Tesla software does not shut down properly and corrupts the USB drive and it stops working.

This occurs independent of which brand or size of USB flash drive I use. My "fix" is to keep a few extra drive in the car and rotate them hen one fails. I've had several discussions with Telsa techs but it does not seem to be a common enough problem to warrant addressing.

error 2.JPG error 3.JPG error 4.JPG error1.JPG error 2.JPG error 3.JPG error 4.JPG error1.JPG