Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My thoughts on 2018 Model X after Turo Rental

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just upgraded from a 3 to X. Works out much better for me. Easier to get in and out of, more luxury options and features, feels more solid (the 3 rattled so much and road noise was really annoying).

I do miss the quicker MCU since my X has MCU1 but that's it. I have a 75D so the range isn't as great either since the Model 3 was more efficient..but overall I'm glad I made the switch!

I just upgraded from a 3 to X. Works out much better for me. Easier to get in and out of, more luxury options and features, feels more solid (the 3 rattled so much and road noise was really annoying).

I do miss the quicker MCU since my X has MCU1 but that's it. I have a 75D so the range isn't as great either since the Model 3 was more efficient..but overall I'm glad I made the switch!

with the semi-recent price drop for the mcu upgrade, it's a no brainer to upgrade

I keep seeing 1500 and 2500, which one is it? I have MCU1 and AP 2.0 currently.

Owners of compatible vehicles can schedule an appointment through the Tesla app for purchase and installation. This upgrade is available for $2,000 plus applicable tax, including installation, for vehicles equipped with Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 and for $1,500 plus applicable tax, including installation, for all other vehicles. Owners may confirm Autopilot Computer type by selecting ‘Controls’ > ‘Software’ > ‘Additional Vehicle Information’ on the touchscreen.

Reactions: Pacernow
I don't think anyone thinks a single screen is better than two. There are certainly disagreements over orientation of the main screen though. I think portrait makes more sense though for navigation (it's primary purpose). I want to see as much ahead as I can and could care less about how much I see to the sides. I always had my phone portrait for navigation. I do like the new S/X that the screen can be angled towards you though.
We have a 2017 Model S, which we love. The screen is vertical and after seeing the horizontal screens, I'm so glad that ours is vertical. It is much easier to see and use. But now we've ordered the Model X which should be coming February. Can hardly wait, although it's going to be hard to give up our S. I look forward to the new steering wheel because I'm only 5feet and always peering over the wheel. I do wish they had left the chrome door handles, so much classier than the black. Our car still turns heads as we go by. I'd also like to test drive the X, but there are never any available to do so. They have my request so perhaps someday soon.

We have a 2017 Model S, which we love. The screen is vertical and after seeing the horizontal screens, I'm so glad that ours is vertical. It is much easier to see and use. But now we've ordered the Model X which should be coming February. Can hardly wait, although it's going to be hard to give up our S. I look forward to the new steering wheel because I'm only 5feet and always peering over the wheel. I do wish they had left the chrome door handles, so much classier than the black. Our car still turns heads as we go by. I'd also like to test drive the X, but there are never any available to do so. They have my request so perhaps someday soon.
Tempted to order Model X too. Tesla is willing to give me almost full trade in value for our 2 year old X with 22K miles.
But I doubt the trade value will hold until a new X is delivered.

I think the vertical screen is easier to reach everything too.

Maybe the plasti-dip/paint can be removed from the door handles ;) That will be the new Mod to make them chrome to be different.
I think it depends on what color. Like black door handles on White looks dumb, chrome looks classy.

Good luck with your new X.

Tempted to order Model X too. Tesla is willing to give me almost full trade in value for our 2 year old X with 22K miles.
But I doubt the trade value will hold until a new X is delivered.

I think the vertical screen is easier to reach everything too.

Maybe the plasti-dip/paint can be removed from the door handles ;) That will be the new Mod to make them chrome to be different.
I think it depends on what color. Like black door handles on White looks dumb, chrome looks classy.

Good luck with your new X.

I've thought about it myself, but if I'm being honest... I know the spousal unit will hate the yoke. Otherwise, I probably would've pulled the trigger and we'd be getting by with 1 car till it ships.

I've thought about it myself, but if I'm being honest... I know the spousal unit will hate the yoke. Otherwise, I probably would've pulled the trigger and we'd be getting by with 1 car till it ships.
A friend got the Yoke and was very skeptical about it. He loves it. He said hardest part is when backing up. Other than that he loves it. Like with anything you adapt. Problem is our other cars will still have wheels. As it is I bobble the windshield washer and some other stuff between the cars.

Maybe with it being so different it will be easier. It’s when things are close to the same, muscle memory kicks in when you don’t want it too.

I didn’t like the thumb wheels on Model 3. Model X (2019) was much nicer. Now they use the same thumbwheel as on the 3. Not very easy to nudge the thumb wheel sideways on the 3.Model X (2019) uses separate buttons for those functions. I constantly skip songs streaming. ;)

We went down to a single car. I found a perfect cpo 2020 X for like 79K. Chickened out and went with a Performance Y for 54K with a hitch. The Y is working but I think the X would have been better. I couldn’t find a loaner to test drive at the time. I’m still thinking about switching but now the same 2020 X is something like 90+ Or even 100. I can sell the Y for more than I bought it for so that would be take the sting out a bit.

OP here. A few months ago I ended up purchasing a blue 2016 P90DL Model X with FSD and MCU2 and still under CPO warranty from Tesla. 6-seater. Really love it, and I've been using it to haul people and chairs/small furniture with no problems. Wish it was fold-down 7-seater from newer Xs so I could haul big furniture. Loading/unloading toddler in baby seat with falcon wing doors is great. Some updates to my first review, but this time based on my own X :
- Speed for launches and around town is AWESOME. It goes 0 to 60 in under 4 seconds and I only drive in Ludicrous mode.
- Dec 2016 perforated white vegan front seats in my X are even more comfortable than my Model 3 vegan seats.
- The vegan interior and carpet still looks almost perfect, like a brand new car. I got vegan because I disliked the cracking real-leather interior of the 2016 Model S, and the next-gen seats in the S were not very comfortable. The comfort in these vegan X seats is WAY better.
- Dec 2016 X comes with nice touches like alcantara dashboard and gloss black seat backs, which makes the car look like a work of art.
- Highway cruising is way more comfortable and quiet than my Model 3. But this X is still a bit too bumpy around town, but not as bad as the 3 or Y.
- Really love the self-presenting driver door when my hands are full.
- Nice 150kw speed at V3 superchargers.
- Huge 17-inch touchscreen is awesome. Surprisingly I find that maps and navigation are better than Model 3 due to much smaller screen on the 3.
- Premium sound system in X is WAY better than the premium sound system in the 3, for both clarity and bass.
- Bioweapon defense mode and HEPA filter is really nice, air in cabin is cleaner compared to Model 3.

Drawbacks of this pre-raven X compared to Model 3:
- It uses 50 percent more energy per mile. And therefore it adds range miles 50 percent slower than my 3.
- Only charges to 227 miles at 100%, not bad for 5 year old battery. Works fine for me since I charge in garage at home, but on first big road trip this will be difficult.
- No 1-pedal driving at low speeds. Need to use the brake for every full stop. The Hold feature is not engaged automatically on this X, you have to press the brake and then check the screen for the "H" symbol.
- The "shudder" problem is annoying. If you floor it from low speed in standard suspension height, it shudder and grinds. I had half-shafts and clevis mounts replaced free under warranty with newest parts from bulletin, which fixed it. But after 2 months it's back already. This is the problem with using Model S platform for Model X. I guess I need to drive in Low suspension mode always to resolve this, but then my inner tire wear will be worse.
- It's not that fast over 50mph. If you floor it in Ludicrous under 30mph, it's crazy fast. But over 50mph, there's no jolt and it's not fast enough.
- All doors are automatic. Front doors are weird to open/close by hand. Passengers are often confused. And rear doors might hit you when opening, or open too low and you bump your head. Anyone taller than 6-feet 1-inch will be annoyed by using falcon wing doors.
- Tire and wheel size are staggered on both 20s and 22s, so you can't rotate tires. And the tire wear is more than the 3 because of weight.
- I have no FM radio because of MCU2 upgrade, previous owner didn't pay $500 extra for radio kit I guess.
- FSD works great, but it doesn't follow as close as my Model 3, even on closest follow setting. So autopilot is overall less useful in high traffic situations.

Hope this helps. Let me know if anyone has questions on X/3 comparison or P90DL X or 6-seater vegan X.