Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My thoughts on newly upgraded 22" Pirelli upgrade from Conti 20's.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This topic probably discussed before but here goes anyway:
I'm a sports car guy and definitely prefer this new set up.This car is my wife's daily driver but I get to drive it on weekends lol.
The ride quality is about same.
The road noise about the same(The tires are "noise cancelling")
The handling, much better and much more confidence inspiring, superior in every way to the Conti's
The looks, cmon lol
The economics, conti gets the win here of course
Energy usage, not much difference with the nod going to the Conti's but again just slightly, we are disappointed with the miles actually driven with the mileage promised. whichever wheel set up is mounted.
I will keep the 20's with conti's mounted in my garage and will probably sell them soon.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
I can't say about pirellis, but I love my 22s with eagles. Summer tires with great performance ability. Good noise comfort and wear. My lifetime average is 383whm
I also noticed very minimal gain in mileage with 20s

P.S. We just came back from the road trip roughly 2000 miles. Despite running AC, I still managed to average 380-390. Highway driving was mostly between 75 and 80 miles an hour

• Informative
Reactions: commasign
Same here. Did a 600 mile road trip this weekend and averaged 395 in the Texas heat. You're only giving up 3%-5% in range if you keep it under 75MPH. Once you go up from there you really loose a lot.

My experience is the 22" ride slightly stiffer, but not much. Handling is a bit better. Looks we're my driving factor in changing.

Same here. Did a 600 mile road trip this weekend and averaged 395 in the Texas heat. You're only giving up 3%-5% in range if you keep it under 75MPH. Once you go up from there you really loose a lot.

My experience is the 22" ride slightly stiffer, but not much. Handling is a bit better. Looks we're my driving factor in changing.
Looks were also my main reason for going to the 22 inch wheels. I bought a brand new set of take offs with the all season tire. Over the last 5k miles with the the 20's avg 357 Wh/mile. In the first 300 miles with the 22's I am at 379 Wh/mile including about 15 miles towing a trailer. I will take that and the X looks awesome with the new wheels.

Caved and got a set of 22" Onyx with Goodyears. 36 mile trip driving 70-80mph I got 356 Wh/mile according to teslalog. Similar trip on the 20" Continentals was 323 Wh/mile. Not bad at all. Overall, I like the feel of the 22's. I'd describe it as more planted and less bouncy. Looks amazing of course.

IMG_0097.JPG
IMG_0095.JPG

Wow great deal. I'm looking for the same. Would scoop that up in a second.
Check on eBay. The seller I purchased from had a couple of new take off sets. For some reason he was selling the sets with Goodyear tires a bit cheaper. I paid $3500 plus shipping for the Pirelli all seasons. They look awesome and the ride is great. Don't regret purchasing at all. I did have to go to SC to have the TPMS linked correctly but that was done at no charge.

Some recent tests from EPA, show a 20% loss of effeciency going to the 22” wheels but have to caveat that it’s completed as a stationary test without taking into aerodynamics, as people mentioned in real world usage is likely much less.