Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My two year old's hand got stuck in the retracting door handle..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

joninmelbourne

Solid Black S60 new face
Jun 29, 2016
Melbourne
So I was unplugging the car in my garage and my two year old was waiting to get in the child seat, I moved half a metre away to hang up the charging cable next to the car, the door handles retracted and there was a scream! Unknown to me my little girl had put her hand on the door handle. No damage to her hand but she was very upset. Seems to be two sensitive to automatically locking the doors when you move away. I also got me hand caught once when I was test driving the car and the salesman moved away as I tried to open the door! Hurst when the skin get pinched, can imagine with tiny fingers it would be worse. Any experiences?

Yep, happened to my 6 yo and he got a bit of a fright. He had his hand resting on the handle and I was next to him, handles retracted and caught his fingers. I was right there so pulled the handle out for him. There wasn't a lot of resistance for me to pull it back, but obviously enough to hurt small fingers when pulled in. He loves the Tesla too, so was confused when it bit him!

I purposefully had the handles close on my kid's hands to show them that it doesn't hurt and not to panic, just pull the handle straight out and remove your hand. Instinct is to yank your hand up or down (depending on how your hand is in the handle) and it'll pinch/scrape. But as long as you pull it straight our the springs that pull it in aren't very strong.

Of course for the OP you can't teach a 2 year old that :) My son was 4 when I taught him and showed my daughter when she was 3.

I purposefully had the handles close on my kid's hands to show them that it doesn't hurt and not to panic, just pull the handle straight out and remove your hand. Instinct is to yank your hand up or down (depending on how your hand is in the handle) and it'll pinch/scrape. But as long as you pull it straight our the springs that pull it in aren't very strong.

Of course for the OP you can't teach a 2 year old that :) My son was 4 when I taught him and showed my daughter when she was 3.
I'm going to do that with my kids. Maybe the wife too, although it will take some convincing to get her to try...