Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My WiFi doesn't seem to work as it should

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WannabeOwner

Nov 2, 2015
Suffolk, UK
Don't think this is a UK-specific question, but its something I just haven't got around to checking out ... and I should really ... so here goes

I very rarely get updates, historically mostly only when car was at Tesla, and on other occasions they have been only the mega-versions and quite possibly pushed by Tesla OTA - I've been below 1% of fleet not yet upgraded when I have got those sorts of update.

I used to get updates regularly, haven't done for well over a year, still don't have the new maps (I mention that as I assume it is a massive download and Tesla won't rush to push that OTA [at their expense])

When I get home and park I'm within a few yards of WiFi. I have a number of repeaters available ... car connects to the one which is indeed closest. Main screen ICON shows a strong signal. I see some activity on the logging for my WiFi box (although I haven't looked at it closely, other than "is there any traffic). (I could try unplugging that repeater and see what the car then connects to, and if that makes any difference, I could also physically cable a repeater and place it right next to the car if anyone thinks that is a worthwhile test)

I just assumed something was duff, but in trying to get to bottom of this:

I deleted the WiFi connection and created a new one from scratch (I actually have two separate channels, one that goes through Cisco stuff which we use for "work stuff", but the other is "straight out of the door" so ought to have no restrictions, and that's the one I use, but I've tried both)
Rebooted dashboard (but I do that every week or two anyway)

I typically cannot get Spotify to play anything when sat in my drive. The place where I park has no LTE signal. If it was already playing something when I drove home it will usually (but not always) carry on with additional tracks if I stay in the car. But if I try to choose a different artist (i.e. from favourites) it usually fails to bring up any tracks (but not always - perhaps a little LTE signal creeping around the building ...).

But every time I try to do a SEARCH it fails. Either search for music (Spotify) or search for a destination (SatNav). if I drive 10 yards down the road and I can do either of those things.

Surely those searches should work just fine over my WiFi? and maybe this is an indication that something is wrong which might account for failure to download updates?

I very rarely charge at home (charge at work). No WiFi or LTE available at work at all. So if Tesla is not downloading somethings when WiFi available (at home) but SOC is low-ish, and not plugged in, that might be a reason I'm missing out? (But back when I did get downloads regularly my CONFIG was the same)

Drivers door was replaced (side swiped), is that the side of the wing mirror for the WiFi sensor? I did ask Tesla to check the WiFi at last service but they just said "its fine" ...

Any ideas or suggestions for tests would be appreciated. My dayjob is IT, so I should be competent, but I'm Software and I generally speaking hate hardware and leave that to someone else, so I might not be as agile as I should be :)

Hadn't thought of that, thanks ...

Just to check that you mean: Use Mobile Data on my Phone? I won't have any Mobile Data where the car parks - this is Rural Suffolk I'm afraid!

If you mean to use my Phone to extend the WiFi then I can do that (but didn't know that that was possible)

If this is Mobile Data only I could drive somewhere else and make that test though ... that would tell me if I could do Search when connected to HotSpot. Or I could drive to the neighbours and "raid" their WiFi ... that would be an easy test.

Told you I was rubbish at Hardware ... "try some different hardware" would be the obvious comparison test, now I think about it.

Does your phone allow you to create a ‘Personal Hotspot’?
If it does, connect your phone to your home WiFi, sit in the car and create a Personal Hotspof’ on your phone then connect the car to the hotspot.
Not sure how you’d do it on Android...the above is for iPhone.

Try using your phone as a hotspot and repeat your tests to compare results.

That isn't going to work, the Apple hotspot feature only allows the use of cellular data for the upstream connection and WiFi for the 'Hot Spot' to connect to local devices. It canb't both connect locally and for upstream data via WiFi.

Just go somewhere with strong cellular signal. Turn on the personal hotspot. Connect the car to the hotspot. Just as a test.

Any other place you could leave it with strong wifi and a decent cell signal for a short period? Overnight for example? Friends house? Service center?

Tech support may have to look if anything is sticking the download/upgrade.

But every time I try to do a SEARCH it fails. Either search for music (Spotify) or search for a destination (SatNav). if I drive 10 yards down the road and I can do either of those things.

That really is a strong indication that the WiFi - for whatever reason - is not working.

However, IIRC you are successfully using things like TeslaFi and the phone app is working to control the car when it is parked there? So apparently something is getting through on the WiFi.

Control by the app etc. is via a VPN connection the car makes back to Tesla servers. Music and navigation connect directly to Spotify, Inrix etc. (or at least they used to do so last time I was snooping on my WiFi to investigate, which is a while ago now).

Also related is that if you have 'always connected' turned off and the car goes to sleep, that requires a cellular connection to wake up the car (I believe via an SMS message), so in that condition WiFi-only won't work (though a miserable 2G cellular connection will suffice to wake up and connect to the WiFi for the actual data transfer).

Reactions: WannabeOwner
IIRC you are successfully using things like TeslaFi and the phone app is working to control the car when it is parked there

yes, good point, thanks. Car definitely connects to WiFi so, presumably, doesn't continue to also do LTE, so the data that TeslaFi is logged (all night long ... except deliberate periods of Deep Sleep) could only be transmitted via WiFi, TeslaFi and APP are also both able to start charging / climate etc. [when car parked at Home]

Definitely getting some traffic on WiFi (as per WiFi diagnostics), haven't had opportunity to test iPhone HotSpot or neighbour's WiFi as yet

yes, good point, thanks. Car definitely connects to WiFi so, presumably, doesn't continue to also do LTE, so the data that TeslaFi is logged (all night long ... except deliberate periods of Deep Sleep) could only be transmitted via WiFi, TeslaFi and APP are also both able to start charging / climate etc. [when car parked at Home]

Hmm. What DNS does your WiFi advertise? Could it be the car can maintain the VPN link but not other servers where it needs to resolve the address?

What DNS does your WiFi advertise?

That's a good shout. I've been thinking "Used to work. Doesn't work now. What changed". We've definitely made alterations to the network here, particularly for the Cisco stuff and security-related ... so that might well have occurred when it stopped working (of course I didn't know it had stopped working, I don't sit in the car, parked at home, trying to find music or load the SatNav favourites :) so first I knew was that I wasn't getting any updates, and that was after months had elapsed ... so not tied that event with any network changes).

Because Cisco has expensive licence fee based on numbers of devices, and every time 20 kids came round and hooked up their their phones and laptops to the WiFi :( I put in a second "guest network" which is, supposedly, "straight out the door", and the car is using that ...

But definitely worth checking if there is something in the DNS that is failing, thanks.

I’m not sure at what point but the WiFi has definetly got worse. My MX when home would pick up a number of SSIDs but since back end of last year it struggles to find anything.

It doesn’t see my home network but I’ve added it manually and it connectes with one bar signal, seems good enough as it’s pushing a load of data but before I added it was essentially invisible.

Even when I try a hotspot on the passenger seat it doesn’t always see it but when I got the car in September it was much better

Nothing. God knows it’s been in and out the SC like I don’t know what but the mirrors have been untouched.

The only work in that area is the brightwork “chrome trim” bear the mirror but not attached to the mirror was removed and reattached but that was on drivers side and I’ve been told the WiFi is in the passenger side, not sure it any truth in that.

Do you have always connected turned on and turn off power save mode as the car disconnects a lot without this (to be fair still disconnects with this) but something must be stopping the VPN staying connected long enough to sort updates etc.

I have found that I get home, it connects to wifi but if I sit in the car, lock it, then unlock it it flips to LTE so maybe it’s dropping from WiFi and not reconnecting? I park on my drive and if I have the repeater (well google WiFi satellite) just the other side of the garage door (car doesn’t fit in garage) then signal is about 3 bars but if I move the repeater to the other side of the wall I just about get 1 bar and speeds are pointless.

As the car only connects to the 2.4ghz network if you have 2.4/5ghz dual band on same SSID some people have said this can cause issues. I don’t have an option to split mine. Since trying to save power (as car wouldn’t sleep) I turned always connected off and power save on and find that when I check the network the car is hardly every connected to my WiFi.

Still haven't found the time to experiment but I appreciate your input, thanks ... it just isn't a priority for me, I don't really need any updates, the novelty has worn off, and I have a long list of more exciting things to fill my time with ...

something must be stopping the VPN staying connected long enough to sort updates

When I get home car connects to WiFi, at that moment if I try to do SEARCH for Spotify (Title or Artist) or SatNav destination, nothing is found, so I reckon that test is independent of any issue with subsequent disconnects (preventing Update download).

APP on my PC to interrogate WiFi shows that Car is indeed connecting to WiFi, and there is some "chatter", but that may not be much that is real and it might all be "Are you there" .. "I can't hear you" type stuff ... but IF that is the case, and if I had written the software :) I would have provided some "Houston we have a problem" feedback ...

TeslaFi logs data overnight successfully (except when it chooses to do Deep Sleep), car is in a lousy spot for LTE reception. I don't know how bad, because when I park it switches to WiFi ... but most people who come here cannot get mobile phone connection unless they move to a known-ideal spot.

I just need to find the time to review the WiFi logs to see how long car remains on WiFi after being parked, try the Mobile Phone Hotspot test (planned to do that at last Supercharger visit but I got a business call just as I parked up which neatly consumed all the recharging time :) ) and also park at Neighbours and try their WiFi.

It might be that lack of Update Download is related to the fact that I very rarely plug in at home (and no WiFi when charging at work) as I have read that some Updates require either plugged-in or decent SOC (returning home from work would be 60%-ish parked overnight). But presumably that wouldn't prevent Download, only Install (which could happen whenever the car was next plugged in).

Data point: I'm on a relatively recent version, but don't have the new maps

Nephew coming to stay this weekend, she's some Whizz in software security, when she gets bored talking to the adults I'll get her to have a look :)