Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY7 v. MY5 - 2nd row seat recline and trunk space

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model Y 7-seater on order. After looking online at a few videos of folks spending time in the MY7, I began to worry about the following re the 7-seater:
  1. Does the second row not recline as much as the MY 5-seater? If not, could that affect passengers’ comfort?
  2. Is there less foot space in the second row compared to the MY5? Is the space enough for long trips?
  3. How much less trunk space is there in the MY7 compared to the MY5?
  4. What is it like to sit in the third row? Who should ride in there?
  5. Would the drop at the trunk end of the car make camping uncomfortable?
I had a chance to compare the MY7 and MY5 at a Tesla showroom, here are my thoughts on the questions above:

1. Pushing the second row all the way back, with the third row up, I got two additional recline positions, just like in the MY5, so three setting in total. With the third row down, at first I was only able to recline one notch, but after going out and returning, the second position was possible, not sure if the second row seat was moved up a bit in the meantime.

Answer - you might have to fiddle, but it reclines like the 5 (note the different latches to make it recline in each vehicle).

2. There seems to me to be the same amount of foot space in the second row as the 5, it’s quite roomy for the feet and knees (I’m 5’11”). Good for long trips.

Answer - no worries.

3. When the third row is down, you lose about 1.5 inches in height where the third row is. The height to the start of the hatch is about 25.5 inches, compared to about 27 inches in the 5. The SA said that the 7 was wider inside at that point than the 5, I didn’t test it. I'd be interested to see total cargo volumes for MY7 third row down / second row up for both MY5 and 7, I don't think Tesla publishes that?

Answer - two sets of True “tower-type” hockey gear bags (barely) fit sideways on top of the folded 3rd row seats!

4. There seem to me to be four issues affecting the size of person appropriate for the third row - the hatch glass, the plastic padding on the hatch, knee length and foot space.

Answer - My inclination is to test to make sure anyone sitting in the third row cleared the hatch padding when they leaned forward (not sure if others have the same concern or would apply the same test, or whether the seat belt is enough protection not to worry?).

5. I like that the sub-trunk cover can be flipped to make it level with the third row. I also like that the strap on the cover works on both sides, a nice touch!

Answer - Camp Mode here we come!

One other question I had was is it possible to remove the 3rd row? I doubt it would be easy, but I've seen people do some crazy things to their car. I wonder how much extra space you would get if you removed the 3rd row.

Interesting question! I expect it would look pretty similar to a MY5, although perhaps with a bit more internal width? If you take out the MY5 "forward" sub-trunk cover, I guess you're getting close to what you'd get if you removed the MY7 third row. But as the third row is really flat folded down, and as the second row space on the 7 and the 5 seems similar, I'm not sure you'd gain enough to make it worth it, but I might be missing something. See the discussion of the size of the forward sub-trunk here for comparison. -

I was torn on whether or not to get the 7 seater. Ultimately I thought it seemed like a tight squeeze and decided to stick with the 5 seat configuration.
I placed an order on the 7 seater before even having the chance to check it out. I figured I could change it later. When it finally arrived at my local showroom, I checked it out and was pleasantly surprised. My head did touch the glass, but I would never sit back there. My kids are 8 and 6, so they're going to be out of their booster seats soon and still have plenty of years left to fit back there if we were ever in a pinch whether we're going somewhere with grandparents, cousins, or carpooling with other kids, etc.

My recommendation would be to check it out for yourself. I think the early negative reports were pretty off base and unfair. If you intend to use it everyday, you really should be getting a minivan. That's the bottom line.

These seems like pretty common questions so I'll just hijack your post and put my answers there.

1. Does the second row not recline as much as the MY 5-seater? If not, could that affect passengers’ comfort?
    1. I don't have a 5 seater to compare but I think it is the same (don't quote me on this)
  2. Is there less foot space in the second row compared to the MY5? Is the space enough for long trips?
    1. Depends, 2nd and 3rd row shares leg room. When you are not using the 3rd row, you can push 2nd row all the way back and it should be the same leg room between 5 and 7 seater. When you are using the 3rd row, you will need to move the 2nd row forward so the ppl sitting in the 3rd row will have non-zero leg room. So how much leg room 2nd and 3rd row gets is all a function of how tall everyone is. If peeps in the 1st row are short, then there are more space for 2nd and 3rd row to share. After that it depends on how peeps in 2nd and 3rd row want to split the leg room they have.
  3. How much less trunk space is there in the MY7 compared to the MY5?
    1. You only lose the shallow sub trunk space under the 3rd row or the front sub trunk in a 5 seater. With seats folded down you have the same amount of space above the floor and you still have the same super deep sub trunk at the very back. Oh and I suppose you lose a bit of height, but that'll probably only matter on very edge cases.
  4. What is it like to sit in the third row? Who should ride in there?
    1. I'm the tallest in my family at 5',7" and I can have a fist above my head in the 3rd row. My friend that's 6'1" does not fit in the 3rd row. Your head is probably going to touch glass if you are 5'11"+. Again some of this depends on how much you can shift the 2nd row forward to give the guy in the 3rd row space. Unless everyone is above 6' you can probably play some musical chair to stuff everyone in the car.
  5. Would the drop at the trunk end of the car make camping uncomfortable?
    1. Just flip the floor panel, it will be a level smooth trunk space all the way up to ~3 inches before the lip of the trunk door

These seems like pretty common questions so I'll just hijack your post and put my answers there.

Thanks, NCC, that's helpful. Your post makes me think a bit more about trunk space.

I guess the MY5 2nd row can't be slid forward, but the MY7 2nd row can (to accommodate the 3rd row passengers). So that means that if you had 3-5 passengers (using the second row for people but not the third), you could have the second row folks slide forward a bit (especially if they have shorter legs), possibly giving you even more trunk space than you would otherwise have without the third row in the car!

Of course with only two (non-young-child) passengers, both the MY5 and MY7 can flip the (third and) second row down getting to the promised 68 cubic feet / 1925 litres.

I think Model Y's 2nd row is actually slightly *roomier* than Model X's, at least from a foot and leg room perspective, because of that huge space under the front seats.

Sitting behind my 5'11' driver's seating position in a 5-seater Y, I could stretch out in the 2nd row like I was on a business jet, it was spectacular. I can't imagine sliding the 2nd row forward 3-4" would make it so much worse as to be uncomfortable when using the 3rd row, but, I really need to check one out in person.

For what it's worth, it's also necessary to slide the 2nd row all the way forward to accomodate a fully grown human in the 3rd row of Model X 7seater. X has no 3rd row headroom issues at least not for average size adult males like me, but if your primary use case for the 3rd row is occasional and kids below 5' tall I don't see any downside.

One other question I had was is it possible to remove the 3rd row? I doubt it would be easy, but I've seen people do some crazy things to their car. I wonder how much extra space you would get if you removed the 3rd row.
Wouldn’t recommend it since the 3rd row is also wired in for usb and is heated (currently shown via the app only and not the touch screen)

I had my 11 yr old try the 3rd row on a demo and he could barely get in and out....so small little kids only. You will have less room in trunk(and you cant remove 3rd row). The bonus though is the 2nd row can slide forward and back
By any chance do you (or anyone actually) know if the legroom in the 7 seater second row can be made to be greater than the static legroom available in the 5 seater Y? I'm wondering if the ability to slide the second row forward/backward possibly gives it a legroom advantage over the 5 seater 2nd row with the second row pushed all the way back.

By any chance do you (or anyone actually) know if the legroom in the 7 seater second row can be made to be greater than the static legroom available in the 5 seater Y? I'm wondering if the ability to slide the second row forward/backward possibly gives it a legroom advantage over the 5 seater 2nd row with the second row pushed all the way back.
Not sure to be honest...however i would have gotten the 7 seat IF the rear were removable. I like the 2nd row going back and forth more..

Interested in knowing this as well. We really have no need for the 3rd row, but if it gave me room in the 2nd row on the rails, that could sway me.

I saw a video that said "No". I have a MYLR7 and with the 2nrd row seats pushed back all the way the front is basically flush with the molding at the bottom which I understand is standard in the 5-seater. I think the rails just make them go forward more. I plan on using my car in the 5-seat configuration a majority of the time, but liked the idea of legally being able to carry 7-people if needed. Its a very mild loss of storage for that ability.

I would really advertise it more like they do with 4-seat 2drs (2+2). It should be called a 5+2, like the model S with extra seats. My wife and I were able to sit back there, but we both agreed we wouldnt want to be on a long trip back there. Anything over 30min would be a nightmare unless you're really small or wore VR goggles to make you feel like you're on a beach.

Reactions: Spree15