Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR all season tyres

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These tyres are not being fitted tomorrow after all. The supplier has a ’stock issue’ so can’t get them. I’ve said that I’m happy to wait (until January when I actually need them) so we’ll see what happens. There doesn’t appear to be any alternative with the correct W or above speed rating and 100 or above load rating. The fitment on Gemini wheels is an added spanner in the works.

*Edit to add* Goodyear vector have 100W available which would fit on paper, but the reality is that they are stretched as the pictures posted above show.
I don't believe 100W would work. Tesla specs are at least 104 for load index. (and XL).
It's generally accepted you can play a bit and downgrade the speed index one notch for winter/all season, but I don't think it's advisable at all to do that with the load index.

I don't believe 100W would work. Tesla specs are at least 104 for load index. (and XL).
It's generally accepted you can play a bit and downgrade the speed index one notch for winter/all season, but I don't think it's advisable at all to do that with the load index.
Some tyres fitted to Model Y from the factory are as low as 98W; https://www.tesla.com/en_gb/support/eu-tyre-label so I was under the impression that this was the minimum. The top speed of Model Y long range is 135mph so a V speed rated tyre would also be within spec.

The plate on my car says total max permissible mass is 2518kg with permissible 1320kg on the front axle and 1500kg on the rear, so within spec for 98 load rated tyres at 750kg each Tyre Load Index & Chart | Pirelli

I'll be driving to Germany in January and from comments earlier by others they are very concise about what is acceptable, hence staying within the original speed rating - otherwise I'd have ordered the 100T (max 118mph) rated Continental AllSeason tyres instead of the 104Y version.

What I don't know and would be interested to find out is if I can legally and without having to declare it to insurance as a modification, fit a different tyre size but within the correct ratings. I posted earlier in this thread about upping the width to allow for better fit of tyres on the Gemini wheels

If you're fitting to 9.5" wide wheels, you should really stick to 245, 255 or 265 wide tyres only.
Michelin Crossclimate 2 is considered one of the very best all season tyres and the goodyears come out near the top too, but there are several other decent tyres out there worth considering. Supply issues will only get worse as we get further into the winter months.
The Vredestein Quatrac Pro for instance, would be a decent choice. Hankook do some good all season tyres now as well.

As for load rating, you'll find that will generally be lower with lower profile tyres so you are probably looking at the 35-profile 21" tyres if you see a load rating below 100 for the MY. It does show though that a load index of 98 is acceptable and Pirellis fitted to MYs are often 98 index (ETA: For the fronts only as the total load is less on that axle).

Ultimately, you'll have much more choice if you dedicate a set of aftermarket 18" wheels to winter tyres, but I realise some won't have the storage room for another set of wheels to use a few months of the year. Worth considering if you venture into Europe during a harsh winter though. Dedicated winter tyres will be much less of a compromise.

Last edited:
Some tyres fitted to Model Y from the factory are as low as 98W; https://www.tesla.com/en_gb/support/eu-tyre-label so I was under the impression that this was the minimum. The top speed of Model Y long range is 135mph so a V speed rated tyre would also be within spec.

The plate on my car says total max permissible mass is 2518kg with permissible 1320kg on the front axle and 1500kg on the rear, so within spec for 98 load rated tyres at 750kg each Tyre Load Index & Chart | Pirelli

I'll be driving to Germany in January and from comments earlier by others they are very concise about what is acceptable, hence staying within the original speed rating - otherwise I'd have ordered the 100T (max 118mph) rated Continental AllSeason tyres instead of the 104Y version.

What I don't know and would be interested to find out is if I can legally and without having to declare it to insurance as a modification, fit a different tyre size but within the correct ratings. I posted earlier in this thread about upping the width to allow for better fit of tyres on the Gemini wheels
Reading the page you copied, it seems the 98 spec is only for the front axle on the performance version (staggered), while the rear wheels would be 103 to compensate.
I'm not sure that would apply nicely to the 19"/20" wheels that are all factory supplied at 104?
Also, if you really want to be "German" about it, the V wouldn't be within spec as it's a 149mph speed index limit vs the 150mph top speed. :D

Knowing that Tesla's cheap and do whatever they can to save even a few pennies on each car delivered, if they could walk away fitting cheaper, lower rated tyres, they would certainly do it. So as they keep factory fitting 104W rubber, I would not be willing to go lower than that for my own tyres at least...

Reading the page you copied, it seems the 98 spec is only for the front axle on the performance version (staggered), while the rear wheels would be 103 to compensate.
I'm not sure that would apply nicely to the 19"/20" wheels that are all factory supplied at 104?
Also, if you really want to be "German" about it, the V wouldn't be within spec as it's a 149mph speed index limit vs the 150mph top speed. :D
Yes, quite right (I should have looked at it first!) that 98 is only for the fronts. I'll edit my post.

On this, I am not an insurance expert, but Tesla clearly states tyres specifications in the manual https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/modely/en_gb/GUID-FDDB10EF-FFA9-46EB-B8CC-03614AE92B6B.html and I would assume anything you may fit that's outside this can/may/would (pick one depending on who is your insurer) be considered a modification, especially in the event of an accident. I tend to be cautious with this and if in doubt it's always better to call and ask (and keep you own recording). At least you won't be giving them an easy way out in the event of a claim they don't want to pay...

If you're fitting to 9.5" wide wheels, you should really stick to 245, 255 or 265 wide tyres only.
Michelin Crossclimate 2 is considered one of the very best all season tyres and the goodyears come out near the top too, but there are several other decent tyres out there worth considering. Supply issues will only get worse as we get further into the winter months.
The Vredestein Quatrac Pro for instance, would be a decent choice. Hankook do some good all season tyres now as well.

As for load rating, you'll find that will generally be lower with lower profile tyres so you are probably looking at the 35-profile 21" tyres if you see a load rating below 100 for the MY. It does show though that a load index of 98 is acceptable and Pirellis fitted to MYs are often 98 index (ETA: For the fronts only as the total load is less on that axle).

Ultimately, you'll have much more choice if you dedicate a set of aftermarket 18" wheels to winter tyres, but I realise some won't have the storage room for another set of wheels to use a few months of the year. Worth considering if you venture into Europe during a harsh winter though. Dedicated winter tyres will be much less of a compromise.
I would happily fit either Goodyear 4Season or Michelin CrossClimates, however neither of them fit properly on the Gemini alloys. Lots of pictures in this thread of people who have made the change and the tyres are too narrow.

Ideally I wanted to change to a set of all seasons and leave them on all year, as I've had a good experience of doing this in the past on a different vehicle. I also had a set of winter wheels & tyres for the same vehicle which simply gathered dust in the shed.

Knowing that Tesla's cheap and do whatever they can to save even a few pennies on each car delivered, if they could walk away fitting cheaper, lower rated tyres, they would certainly do it. So as they keep factory fitting 104W rubber, I would not be willing to go lower than that for my own tyres at least...
But yet 98 rated tyres are within the spec of the maximum plated vehicle and axle loads. Model Y Long Range has a max speed of 135mph so V is again within the vehicle specification - Performance is 150mph.

On this, I am not an insurance expert, but Tesla clearly states tyres specifications in the manual https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/modely/en_gb/GUID-FDDB10EF-FFA9-46EB-B8CC-03614AE92B6B.html and I would assume anything you may fit that's outside this can/may/would (pick one depending on who is your insurer) be considered a modification, especially in the event of an accident. I tend to be cautious with this and if in doubt it's always better to call and ask (and keep you own recording). At least you won't be giving them an easy way out in the event of a claim they don't want to pay...
I totally agree about not giving insurance companies an excuse to pay out - I've had the misfortune to be on the receiving end of a policy wording dispute with an insurance company which thankfully after a lot of to and fro and eventually me threatening the insurance ombudsman, they rescinded.

Insurance aside; is it legal to change tyre sizes away from manufacturer spec in the UK? Obviously if you fit aftermarket wheels that's perfectly legal (as long as declared to insurance) and those tyres could well need to be a different width & profile, so I can't see why it wouldn't be. Since I'm talking about changing as a result of an upcoming trip, how about Europe?

Insurance aside; is it legal to change tyre sizes away from manufacturer spec in the UK? Obviously if you fit aftermarket wheels that's perfectly legal (as long as declared to insurance) and those tyres could well need to be a different width & profile, so I can't see why it wouldn't be. Since I'm talking about changing as a result of an upcoming trip, how about Europe?
Trying to answer my own question here, but it seems that the closest legal (or at least regulatory) requirement for the tyre load and speed rating is specified in the MOT test (but only for class 5 or 7 vehicles; normal cars up to 8 seats are class 4), and described here; MOT inspection manual: cars and passenger vehicles - Appendix B: Tyre load index tables - Guidance - GOV.UK
Specifically, the tester should 'Check the manufacturer’s plate to find the maximum laden weight of an axle. You must check that the tyres fitted have a load rating that can carry the laden weight of the axle.' In this scenario, for a Model Y LR which is plated at 1320kg front and 1500kg rear, tyres with a 98 load rating are fine.

The speed rating is more ambiguous and does not relate at all to the stated top speed of the vehicle, just the legal maximum 70mph; MOT inspection manual: cars and passenger vehicles - 5. Axles, wheels, tyres and suspension - Guidance - GOV.UK
'Speed ratings from A to K are unacceptable, with the exception of H.' 'Tyres must be suitable for use up to 70mph (L speed rating) unless the vehicle is a ‘restricted speed vehicle’.'

I saw yesterday that on the Tesla accessory shop they picture a Gemini wheel on a Model Y with a 100V tyre. Clearly not any sort of legal basis however! I don't think there could be any arguments in the UK that a V (149mph) rated tyre on a Model Y LR (stated top speed 135mph) is within specification. Performance models would need to spec up to W. I also believe that there could be no argument about using a 98 load rated tyre as it is within spec according to the MOT test regulations.

However... it appears that the German requirement is based on the vehicle's original specification as stated on the COC (which we do not get in the UK), including the OEM tyre size; Geschwindigkeitsindex Reifen: H, Z, V, W, Y... With winter tyres fitted a lower speed rating can be used (not load rating), but there must be a sticker clearly in the field of view of the driver stating the max speed; 'With M+S tyres, a tyre may be driven at a lower maximum speed than in the vehicle label. Condition for this are a sticker with the maximum maximum speed of the M+S tyre in the driver's field of view as well as compliance with the same'.

An example COC is here for a Model Y LR, quite clearly stating 255/45/19 104W so this would be the minimum allowed in Germany.

:eek:

Attachments

• 1700563395247.png
    1700563395247.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
Fitted my CC2s over the weekend on a set of 19s. As others have found the lip is quite proud but as the wheels are black it's much less noticeable. Virtually invisible from more than a few yards away but very visible if you go up close.

View attachment 988495From this view it appears the tire sticks out a little beyond the metal rim, potentially giving some protection from curb rash. Is that correct? If so, not sure why others are having different exposure. thx.

An example COC is here for a Model Y LR, quite clearly stating 255/45/19 104W so this would be the minimum allowed in Germany.
Yep, same for Spain. It's what the manufacturer specified when the vehicle was type approved. I've seen on other forums where vehicles limited to 112 mph need to have tyres rated at 149 mph and the load index cannot be lower even if the gross vehicle weight is well below a lower index.

I would be interested to know if those of you running 4 season tyres find them more susceptible to punctures, when i had them on my van they were very good at collecting stones in the tread.
Just got another puncture in the front Hankook tyre, that must be about 7 altogether in 15k miles. Had to ditch the rears as not repairable and had too many plugs in them, replaced with Goodyear Asymmetric 3 which have had zero punctures in 8k miles.
Have to say the Hankooks it came with get cut to pieces by stones and are more squidgy than the Goodyears.
Being puncture resistant is my main concern after suffering so many but would like more grip in the winter than the Summer tyres offer.

I would be interested to know if those of you running 4 season tyres find them more susceptible to punctures, when i had them on my van they were very good at collecting stones in the tread.
Just got another puncture in the front Hankook tyre, that must be about 7 altogether in 15k miles. Had to ditch the rears as not repairable and had too many plugs in them, replaced with Goodyear Asymmetric 3 which have had zero punctures in 8k miles.
Have to say the Hankooks it came with get cut to pieces by stones and are more squidgy than the Goodyears.
Being puncture resistant is my main concern after suffering so many but would like more grip in the winter than the Summer tyres offer.
All the punctures I've had in the last 10 years were caused by loose 2-3 inches screws I picked up on the side of the road. Against these, I'm not sure a particular pattern of tyre tread would have made a difference..

Those 1p screws likely dropped by unscrupulous builders getting back to their vans and costing me 400 quid of tyre replacement every time can be frustrating..

Reactions: Obie and MrBadger
All the punctures I've had in the last 10 years were caused by loose 2-3 inches screws I picked up on the side of the road. Against these, I'm not sure a particular pattern of tyre tread would have made a difference..

Those 1p screws likely dropped by unscrupulous builders getting back to their vans and costing me 400 quid of tyre replacement every time can be frustrating..
You mean like this 😧😳😱😢
IMG_7512.png

I must say my factory Hankooks don't look anywhere like this. (Apart for the puncture hole in one of them :D ) What's your mileage with them?

Mine after 8k for reference
View attachment 993449
They have done 15k miles, no problems with wear just lots of cuts. I do a lot of country lane driving that have tractors dropping mud and stones on them but have not seen the amount of cuts i'm getting on the Hankooks before. Wish they looked like yours!