Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP - Time for new tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I went ahead and installed the Michelin AS4's as detailed in this post:

Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 on Uberturbines- 265/35 & 275/35R21

As others have stated, the tires look great and ride really nice on the Uberturbines. For those of you with MYP's that are wanting All Season's, this is definitely the way to go. No need to wait for Michelin to come out with the AS4 in the 255 stock size for the fronts.

So I went ahead and installed the Michelin AS4's as detailed in this post:

Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 on Uberturbines- 265/35 & 275/35R21

As others have stated, the tires look great and ride really nice on the Uberturbines. For those of you with MYP's that are wanting All Season's, this is definitely the way to go. No need to wait for Michelin to come out with the AS4 in the 255 stock size for the fronts.
Do the Michelin's provide any more wheel protection than the stock tires?

So I've seen many run 265/35/21 on front vs the 255 and stock 275/35 on the rear but can anyone confirm running 285/35 or 295s on the rear? Seen a post somewhere when I googled but can't find it now...
Think it would be a prefect combo, 265/35/21 front and 285/35/21 rear, especially for more wheel protection. Not sure where I've seen it and doesn't look like too many go that direction.

Another question, has anyone done 40 vs 35 on the 21s?

So I've seen many run 265/35/21 on front vs the 255 and stock 275/35 on the rear but can anyone confirm running 285/35 or 295s on the rear? Seen a post somewhere when I googled but can't find it now...
Think it would be a prefect combo, 265/35/21 front and 285/35/21 rear, especially for more wheel protection. Not sure where I've seen it and doesn't look like too many go that direction.

Another question, has anyone done 40 vs 35 on the 21s?

Here you go: Suspension Clearances for Wider / Taller tires

Please help me understand. If the tire is "wider", which means it's taller. Does the motor get screwed up because now the wheels have a slightly different diameter?
Welcome to the forums! Wide normally refers to the tire's width measured in the direction perpendicular to the direction of travel (dimension A in the figure). You relate wider to taller. By tall, I assume you mean the total tire’s sidewall height (dimension D in the figure). A wider tire does not necessarily mean a taller tire since the sidewall height can vary independently of the tire width. In response to your question, the motors can accommodate a change in tire diameter although this change can affect the car’s performance. Also, the Tesla on-board computer can adjust for a change in the tire’s overall diameter when computing mileage and speed.
aspectratio.gif

Welcome to the forums! Wide normally refers to the tire's width measured in the direction perpendicular to the direction of travel (dimension A in the figure). You relate wider to taller. By tall, I assume you mean the total tire’s sidewall height (dimension D in the figure). A wider tire does not necessarily mean a taller tire since the sidewall height can vary independently of the tire width. In response to your question, the motors can accommodate a change in tire diameter although this change can affect the car’s performance. Also, the Tesla on-board computer can adjust for a change in the tire’s overall diameter when computing mileage and speed.
View attachment 696052

I am sorry , that is incorrect. The Tesla on-board computer does NOT adjust for the change in the tire's overall diameter when computing mileage and speed. I have verified this with GPS vs Speedometer and it is consistently off.

all wheels for tesla are virtually the same diameter 19s 20s 21s... the difference in wheel size is made up by the tire size. In regards to the post above yours, the difference in total diameter is not a contributing factor and more importantly, the weight of the overall wheel is what makes the motor work harder / less hard. We have seen many step down to lighter wheels and get faster launch speeds along with better 0 to 60 and quarter mile traps.

Reactions: spsheridan
I am sorry , that is incorrect. The Tesla on-board computer does NOT adjust for the change in the tire's overall diameter when computing mileage and speed. I have verified this with GPS vs Speedometer and it is consistently off.

all wheels for tesla are virtually the same diameter 19s 20s 21s... the difference in wheel size is made up by the tire size. In regards to the post above yours, the difference in total diameter is not a contributing factor and more importantly, the weight of the overall wheel is what makes the motor work harder / less hard. We have seen many step down to lighter wheels and get faster launch speeds along with better 0 to 60 and quarter mile traps.
Thanks for the correction - didn't know that. Does changing the wheel size in the computer just change the graphic of the Tesla's wheels on the display or does it also affect the predicted displayed mileage of the car?

Reactions: Quorky
Thanks for the correction - didn't know that. Does changing the wheel size in the computer just change the graphic of the Tesla's wheels on the display or does it also affect the predicted displayed mileage of the car?

What it does is a few things. 1. It changes the graphic on the display. 2. It changes mileage on the battery because each one of those wheels has different efficiency. The Ubers (21s) are like boat anchors and you lose 20-30miles in efficiency (but they really look nice IMHO). I don't know if the inductions have any impact on mileage (I have not played with the settings), but I think they should, as they can't be as efficient as Geminis with covers on.

I personally have the Ubers with much wider and taller tire. So for me, I gotta remember that my speedo is off by 3.9%. Very useful for when I don't want to be stopped for speeding when I am going close to the "pull you over" threshold.

Reactions: spsheridan
For folks who have gone to the Michelin AS4, are you seeing any long-term impact on range or WPM?

So I have done this and documented in a separate thread. My journey was from Uber stock summer pirellis to AS4 but a wider and taller tire.

Here are the base metrics:

Here are the metrics after the upgrade:

Read the full thread, there are a lot of people posting good info in there. Good luck

FYI here is the setup before and after:

Uberturbines:

Front stock 255/35/21 to proposed 265/40/21
Rear stock 275/35/21 to proposed 285/40/21

The tires (both front and rear) are about 1.4" taller and 0.5" wider. So, for clearances, would need 0.7" clearance for taller and 0.25" wider.... Anybody have the measurements to see if this setup will work? Speedo would be off by 4%. Dont care about the speedometer but wanted to see if I can get away with cushier tires.

Last edited:
Reactions: MBx4
So I have done this and documented in a separate thread. My journey was from Uber stock summer pirellis to AS4 but a wider and taller tire.

Here are the base metrics:

Here are the metrics after the upgrade:

Read the full thread, there are a lot of people posting good info in there. Good luck

FYI here is the setup before and after:

Uberturbines:

The tires (both front and rear) are about 1.4" taller and 0.5" wider. So, for clearances, would need 0.7" clearance for taller and 0.25" wider.... Anybody have the measurements to see if this setup will work? Speedo would be off by 4%. Dont care about the speedometer but wanted to see if I can get away with cushier tires.
Quick question, is it possible to put the rear oem tire in front and buy new one for back, like 275-35-21 and 295-35-21 rear but was not sure if 275 would fit for front. Also love the 40 instead of 35 sidewall but trying to avoid all rubbing.
I am actually surprised it rubbed because the diameter is 29.3, and people have gone up to 29.6 without rubbing however the width was 245 and 255, so maybe the 265 width is making it rub?

thanks! Amazing post

Quick question, is it possible to put the rear oem tire in front and buy new one for back, like 275-35-21 and 295-35-21 rear but was not sure if 275 would fit for front. Also love the 40 instead of 35 sidewall but trying to avoid all rubbing.
I am actually surprised it rubbed because the diameter is 29.3, and people have gone up to 29.6 without rubbing however the width was 245 and 255, so maybe the 265 width is making it rub?

thanks! Amazing post

1. I dont think you can move the rear to the front, but i am not 100% sure. rim size is different (which may affect it)...
2. The rub is not from the vertical height difference, but from the diagonal arch created by the wider and taller wheel...

Uberturbines:

So, have you done this w/ Michelin All Seasons yet?
Any interference/rubbing?

I plan on swapping out the stock tires to Michelin All Seasons very soon and would definitely like a little more sidewall to protect my Uber's, both front and rear.

Or would the Michelin All Seasons still provide better protection for the rear wheel in the stock size? (Planning on 265's for the front anyway)

I swapped out my Uberturbines for a square setup of T-Sportline 20x10" TSS wheels with Michelin 255/40-20 Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires and am happy with the ride and noise. Had them for a year now with very little wear, although I only have 4,800 miles.
How would you characterize the ride quality and noise in comparison to the stock performance.. i like the handling but its harsh and definitely somewhat noisy on the roads in florida…. Is it a substantial improvement? Any loss in handling?