Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP UK Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm happy to share what experience I have, and I think it's great that you're reaching out to folks.

I've had a Model X since 2017. Before that I had a Renault Zoe since 2013. My missus has been driving since about '99, and has driven way more things than me. Our Model X got the front ripped off of it by a lorry (I was about 50cm and a few degrees from being flattened) and we had quite a few courtesy cars as a result, including a Mercedes S-class, and a Range Rover something-or-other. So my comparisons won't be super-relevant, and take them with a pinch of salt.

I don't regret the Model X at all, even though it was insanely expensive and could have paid for posh school for one of the kids, or a flat deposit or something. The missus really loves it, and is loathed to get rid of it when the Model Y Performance we've ordered eventually shows up.

The screen... I don't like the absence of physical buttons. I studied human-computer interaction at Uni, and started a usability engineering department at my first workplace. There are definite downsides to not having physical buttons, as you can't feel your way to buttons by touch, and have to glance away from the road. However, you've got Autopilot for those moments. I'd also add that, given the limitations of a touchscreen-only device, the Tesla UI is very usable. Trying to navigate to various nested options in the Mercedes S-class was such a nightmare that it became distracting in a different way - the cognitive load of figuring out which menu level I was in and where to find the right option was distracting in a different, more frustrating way. The only time it's really been an issue for me is when I've wanted to type something into Spotify search whilst driving on roads that aren't suitable for Autopilot.

Spotify in the car is awesome, and the whole family love it. The kids love the games when we're parked up waiting for someone or something. The fart machine is great fun with kids/immature adults. Flooring it at traffic lights never gets old (we're yet to be beaten). We've not used CarPlay, so I can't really compare to that. Occasionally I'll use Bluetooth audio for something that I can't find on Spotify, or a USB stick for obscure unsigned acts from twenty years ago.

Phantom braking on Autopilot is mildly irritating, but has never been dangerous to me. Think of Autopilot like riding a horse - it's good to have another set of eyes on the road, but you don't trust it completely, and it needs supervising. Sometimes it'll 'get spooked'. Occasionally I have to drive with it turned off (maybe I don't reassure it that I'm paying attention enough, even though I am) and it's a right pain in the arse having to actually drive on motorways, so I would definitely miss it.

The Supercharger network is bloody great. Far more reliable than any other network I've used, and we were driving electric in 2013 when it was all nascent.

I've had issues with my Model X, but it was one of the first delivered in the UK, so my issues with it are hopefully not relevant. The plastic panels inside rattled when listening to the DOOM 2016 soundtrack with the bass on full; the falcon wing doors squeaked; the falcon wing doors rubbed the paint off; the keyfobs refuse to recognise me as me, and log me in as the missus; I beeped the horn so much via the app in the 'clap for keyworkers' phase of lockdown that it stopped working; I suffered the eMMC failure and the bloody indicators stopped working. So it's not been all roses, but I saw those as 'early adopter' issues for a ridiculously complex car. I'm hoping for all our sakes that the Model Y is much more tried-and-tested, as it's a simpler vehicle produced at much larger volume.

I'm guessing physical build quality won't be as good as a German car, but the software feels like going from a Nokia 3310 to an iPhone.

I don't know how much of the above applies, but hopefully it helps in some small way.

@HowieR Have you booked a Model Y LR test drive? In my area they were quite available, I think I managed to get one the next day.
Many thanks. I’ve decided to go ahead with the order after the positive comments on here

Reactions: DeejUK and Peteski
When was the order placed? This doesn’t even really fit within the ‘mid 22’ original estimate before it slipped. My opinion is it’s bollox but who knows…
I placed my order in October. I have always been told delivery to me would be in June…. So maybe.

I bought 2x M3P (2019) via the same company and they managed to secure them very quickly and again very accurate with the dates then.

I’m hopeful but no stress as I’m still enjoying my m3p. I changed to the MY as the 3’s are so common now (when I first got mine in 2019 is was very much a head turner) and the extra boot space & fancied a change.

Reactions: Considered1
Hi first post , came here trying to find info on myp delivery in U.K. Seems I am same as many who ordered on day orders opened to hear not a thing since?
Yesterday did get a text ! It stated urgent info is required in order to move to next stage of my order process . To head to my Tesla account to do so. I did but nothing was required extra when I looked .? Not sure the point of text but shows I’ve not been forgotten lol 😆

I placed my order in October. I have always been told delivery to me would be in June…. So maybe.

I bought 2x M3P (2019) via the same company and they managed to secure them very quickly and again very accurate with the dates then.

I’m hopeful but no stress as I’m still enjoying my m3p. I changed to the MY as the 3’s are so common now (when I first got mine in 2019 is was very much a head turner) and the extra boot space & fancied a change.
Really hope this is true - I’m in exactly the same boat….. tesla and forums full of mixed messages and lease company (as of last week) still expecting delivery in june, fingers crossed

Yesterday did get a text ! It stated urgent info is required in order to move to next stage of my order process . To head to my Tesla account to do so. I did but nothing was required extra when I looked .?

Ooh, (potentially) exciting! Do you mind sharing how you're financing it, ie upfront cash purchase, PCP through Tesla, or via a separate leasing company? I expect the process has different stages depending on what paperwork needs filling out, and so we might be able to spot patterns (eg that people leasing through Tesla get a prompt to fill in paperwork sooner).

FWIW here there's been no text, no update on My Account, and I placed a day one upfront purchase.

Hi first post , came here trying to find info on myp delivery in U.K. Seems I am same as many who ordered on day orders opened to hear not a thing since?
Yesterday did get a text ! It stated urgent info is required in order to move to next stage of my order process . To head to my Tesla account to do so. I did but nothing was required extra when I looked .? Not sure the point of text but shows I’ve not been forgotten lol 😆
Yep anyones guess at present as to where they will be made, what battery they will have, if they will come with the portable charger, if certain colours will arrive before others. It’s a bit frustrating

Ooh, (potentially) exciting! Do you mind sharing how you're financing it, ie upfront cash purchase, PCP through Tesla, or via a separate leasing company? I expect the process has different stages depending on what paperwork needs filling out, and so we might be able to spot patterns (eg that people leasing through Tesla get a prompt to fill in paperwork sooner).

FWIW here there's been no text, no update on My Account, and I placed a day one upfront purchase.

Hi I am going to purchase outright . Although I have not told Tesla this yet ?

Will keep my eyes peeled to see if any of you who ordered back in october 2021 get further info. I had a Jaguar p300 e pace I was going to hang onto until said Tesla turned up, but put it in car wow last week and I got an offer only 6k less than I paid for it 3.5 years ago and 25k miles so got shot of it. Second hand is mad !
Enjoying my little Toyota Aygo for now. Tesla is going to seem so fast after this lol ! Mind the MYP is so fast that ,although I’m lucky enough to have a lotus Emira arriving in October the Tesla is nearly a second quicker to 60 mph than the lotus !

Reactions: DeejUK
Hi All,

Just ordered a Model Y performance in black, have had a Skoda Enyaq on order for 7 months and not even a word yet on build date.

Really annoyed with the experience so far from Skoda . In comparison , popped on and ordered the Model Y performance in seconds.

Showing as late 22 for delivery , hopefully that will come forward but I've given up with the Skoda, dealer doesn't even have an idea on when things will move .

Looking forwards to trying the performance

Reactions: Considered1
Hi All,

Just ordered a Model Y performance in black, have had a Skoda Enyaq on order for 7 months and not even a word yet on build date.

Really annoyed with the experience so far from Skoda . In comparison , popped on and ordered the Model Y performance in seconds.

Showing as late 22 for delivery , hopefully that will come forward but I've given up with the Skoda, dealer doesn't even have an idea on when things will move .

Looking forwards to trying the performance
Another newbie :) I test-drove an LR and ordered an MYP last Monday. The Tesla chap suggested I order quickly as the price could go up any minute like it did in the US.. Probably a line but I really want one anyway and if I decide against it and the price does go up, I might even be able to sell my slot for a modest profit;) Though the only reason I won't get it is if there's a problem with my job. So, I will be watching this thread closely for hopefully some deliveries soon and positive reports :)

I popped into the local tesla place yesterday though to measure up the boot for dog duty and chatted with another Tesla chap. He said he doubts we'll see the new battery in a Y for a very long time as they are not even shipping in S & X yet and thinks they will take priority for the foreseeable future.

Is anyone getting any reliable information on delivery of MYPs? Just spoke to a bloke at Tesla who appeared less than confident saying that they are not likely to arrive in UK until the end of the year or even next year. OrderEd one last October for delivery in mid-22… If they are not going to turn up till next year, there are a lot of new alternatives coming, and might look to put my money elsewhere. Tesla really needs to get their customer communication sorted…

Is anyone getting any reliable information on delivery of MYPs?
Sadly I don't think there's any way of knowing what is and isn't reliable information until deliveries happen :/ There's then also the issue that what was reliable information a month ago might prove to be no longer true as circumstances change, such as the Gigafactory Shanghai shutdown. There's a lot of uncertainty that I don't think Tesla can reasonably expected to be in control of.

Tesla really needs to get their customer communication sorted

I'd agree with this. They have lower overheads as a result of not having PR and communications departments, but that doesn't leave for a great customer experience. The continually-growing order book proves that they don't need to have a better customer experience, but I for one would certainly appreciate it! Just having someone communicate what their current understanding of the facts is, and when stuff changes, would be great.