Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP UK Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I planned to stop at rugby services or similar on the way home, we shall see how it goes.

If you have EMails to do (e.g. that you would normally do and either leave-work-later or do-when-get-home) then the time at Supercharger will be time neutral :)

But otherwise get Work to install some chargers ... poor show for employer not to be greener by this time :) although potentially loads of mitigating circumstances. The local council (or some government body like that) chipped in 50% for the chargers we put in at work. We offer that for free to employees as a perk ... and looks good when visitors arrive to see a row of car chargers in the car park :)

13AMP socket in your work car park might do you. 13AMP = 7 MPH (maybe 9 MPH if your motorway drive is < 70 MPH for traffic), so if you are there 8 hours that's a 55 mile top-up - might be enough to get you home.

Suggest you stick your commute into ABetterRoutePlanner and see what it says. You can fiddle with it to set departure as 100% and you could also tell it that you will charge at work for 8 hours at 2.4 AMPs ... and see if that will get you home. And also set winter temperature of 5C to see if that gets borderline.

need to consider your overnight charging rate too. lets assume 7kW gives you 25 MPH. A 4 hour overnight cheap-rate (such as Octopus) is only going to get you 100 miles ... Economy-7 (not as cheap) might be better as 7 hours will get you 175 miles. Still might not be enough :(

Talking of winter temperatures, I assume for a 135 mile commute that you will likely leave early AM. When I did that I used TeslaFi (or similar) to schedule some events for the car. Drop the Charge Limit to 80% just before Off Peak, and then 1h30m before departure change Limit to 90% and start charging again (to warm the battery shortly before departure) and then 15 minutes/whatever before departure warm the cabin (i.e. of mains juice). Weekdays only.

You could set Limit to 100% at a suitable interval before departure to make sure fully charged when you depart, and that would also mean that battery would only be sitting at 100% for minimum time (and another event to change back to 90% a bit later so you don't forget ...). if you are geeky enough to like that sort of thing

I had to have the P

Yeah, 1st time around "I couldn't afford not to have it" too ... and once the Plaid is here I guess I'll be back in that boat.

The "shove" from MSP from launch was totally sorted, not so much from MS/M3/MY "bog standard" - dunno why. Might be bigger rear motor doing the push is easier to get balanced than same size motor front-and-back. P probably has bigger brakes and stuff too ... So P might be better (for you, in any event) than AB :)

... but whilst the floor-it never got tired, I just didn't need it other than away-from-the-lights, and in 3.5 years (at a time when they were rare on the road) I only had one occasion where something interesting pulled up alongside me and I needed to explain why he was ruining the planet and needed to shift to EV :) Now those sorts of car drivers know they will be beaten from the lights by an M3 SR so they are unlikely to be entertained any more ...

model S ... monthly cost was more than a nicely equipped Taycan 4s

Surprised to hear that (I've not done the sums). Taycan would drive better round a bend and I expect a lot more comfortable. But MS scratches my itch. supercar performance, daily-driver, can get 5 adults in, and their luggage ... or put the seats down to haul rash eBay cargo purchases!

My "toy", when I got MSP, was a Lotus-7 thingie with V8 / 300bhp and 750kg. Lots of fun / noise. Never drove it after I got the MSP- as in "not once". The noise was tiring (not the point, I know ...) and the MSP was faster :) and "Could you come home via station to pick up some unexpected guests" became doable. Although I never figured out how to drive MSP on opposite lock for 100 yards after coming out of a right-hand-turn T-junction ...

Reactions: Andy B and DeejUK
If you have EMails to do (e.g. that you would normally do and either leave-work-later or do-when-get-home) then the time at Supercharger will be time neutral :)

But otherwise get Work to install some chargers ... poor show for employer not to be greener by this time :) although potentially loads of mitigating circumstances. The local council (or some government body like that) chipped in 50% for the chargers we put in at work. We offer that for free to employees as a perk ... and looks good when visitors arrive to see a row of car chargers in the car park :)

13AMP socket in your work car park might do you. 13AMP = 7 MPH (maybe 9 MPH if your motorway drive is < 70 MPH for traffic), so if you are there 8 hours that's a 55 mile top-up - might be enough to get you home.

Suggest you stick your commute into ABetterRoutePlanner and see what it says. You can fiddle with it to set departure as 100% and you could also tell it that you will charge at work for 8 hours at 2.4 AMPs ... and see if that will get you home. And also set winter temperature of 5C to see if that gets borderline.

need to consider your overnight charging rate too. lets assume 7kW gives you 25 MPH. A 4 hour overnight cheap-rate (such as Octopus) is only going to get you 100 miles ... Economy-7 (not as cheap) might be better as 7 hours will get you 175 miles. Still might not be enough :(

Talking of winter temperatures, I assume for a 135 mile commute that you will likely leave early AM. When I did that I used TeslaFi (or similar) to schedule some events for the car. Drop the Charge Limit to 80% just before Off Peak, and then 1h30m before departure change Limit to 90% and start charging again (to warm the battery shortly before departure) and then 15 minutes/whatever before departure warm the cabin (i.e. of mains juice). Weekdays only.

You could set Limit to 100% at a suitable interval before departure to make sure fully charged when you depart, and that would also mean that battery would only be sitting at 100% for minimum time (and another event to change back to 90% a bit later so you don't forget ...). if you are geeky enough to like that sort of thing

Yeah, 1st time around "I couldn't afford not to have it" too ... and once the Plaid is here I guess I'll be back in that boat.

The "shove" from MSP from launch was totally sorted, not so much from MS/M3/MY "bog standard" - dunno why. Might be bigger rear motor doing the push is easier to get balanced than same size motor front-and-back. P probably has bigger brakes and stuff too ... So P might be better (for you, in any event) than AB :)

... but whilst the floor-it never got tired, I just didn't need it other than away-from-the-lights, and in 3.5 years (at a time when they were rare on the road) I only had one occasion where something interesting pulled up alongside me and I needed to explain why he was ruining the planet and needed to shift to EV :) Now those sorts of car drivers know they will be beaten from the lights by an M3 SR so they are unlikely to be entertained any more ...

Surprised to hear that (I've not done the sums). Taycan would drive better round a bend and I expect a lot more comfortable. But MS scratches my itch. supercar performance, daily-driver, can get 5 adults in, and their luggage ... or put the seats down to haul rash eBay cargo purchases!

My "toy", when I got MSP, was a Lotus-7 thingie with V8 / 300bhp and 750kg. Lots of fun / noise. Never drove it after I got the MSP- as in "not once". The noise was tiring (not the point, I know ...) and the MSP was faster :) and "Could you come home via station to pick up some unexpected guests" became doable. Although I never figured out how to drive MSP on opposite lock for 100 yards after coming out of a right-hand-turn T-junction ...
Thanks for the guidance again 👍 🙂

It would be lovely if work were to install chargers in the carpark, but unfortunately bureaucracy and mainly money will be why they don't. It's a big company and they don't own the car park etc

My work means the car will be parked for a min of 24 hrs once I'm there and my commute times vary, so it isn't all early morning stuff thankfully.

My journey home is literally just that, it's go home for days off, so I'm in the fortunate position to not take work home with me 🙂

Re the plaid, I'm a massive car nut, but letting people loose with that weapon should require extra training 😅

Re the plaid, I'm a massive car nut, but letting people loose with that weapon should require extra training

It'll be driving itself by the time it arrives in the UK. Definitely. No doubt at all ... o_O

My work means the car will be parked for a min of 24 hrs once I'm there

If it were me I'd find a 13 AMP plug somewhere nearby. Might need a decent quality outdoor extension lead - e.g. the sort of things that Toughleads do - they even do a push-fit connector that will fit through a letter box (a 13AMP plug usually won't)

Maybe wherever you stay for the night has charging? ... or a nearby car park.

Here's me trying to find a charger in a multi-storey car park in Bristol :)

rupertstreetcarpark-jpg.792806

It'll be driving itself by the time it arrives in the UK. Definitely. No doubt at all ... o_O

If it were me I'd find a 13 AMP plug somewhere nearby. Might need a decent quality outdoor extension lead - e.g. the sort of things that Toughleads do - they even do a push-fit connector that will fit through a letter box (a 13AMP plug usually won't)

That's been tried already, it's a big no no and someone was told off 😅

Was probably frustrating, but I give you an A+ for the star pattern created during that search!

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I just chased my order, made within an hour of the email on 15th october 2021. Mine is a red performance Y with FSD:

We've investigated your order and we can see you've ordered a Performance Model Y. At this time, we've not confirmed the delivery dates for that model and will reach out to you to update your account once we're close to it. Currently we're estimating late 2022 for Performance Model Ys and will reach out via text to confirm a delivery timeline as soon as we have something a bit firmer. We appreciate your patience and look forward to delivering your car as soon as possible!

Definitely quite pricey, I'm debating switching to a Long range but saying that I'm in no rush either so will probably just hold out until the end of the year

Same here. I'm still driving a 2015 S85D, and it still feel new TBH. I can definitely wait, and I think I would regret it if I stepped 'down' to a long range. I love the mad acceleration of my model S. Its already a downgrade to lose dual-screen / air suspension and the sunroof, so knowing that my acceleration was lower too would be the last straw.
Plus the longer its delayed, the more chance we get 4680s and even front/rear casting, potentially with unlockable better range in the future?
Also its not like the trade-in value of my S seems to be dropping any more...

AB is tempting for sure. It’s a big car, high up. Doesn’t need to be supercar quick. I’ve been less inclined to floor the Y than I did the 3. Maybe it’s all the stuff noticeably rolling round the boot! I think AB is a decent compromise, at a fraction of the price

Reactions: busterboy
I'm still driving a 2015 S85D
I love the mad acceleration of my model S

I have a couple of roadside markers near here, 200M apart. From 40MPH at the first my 2019 MS LR Raven and M3 LR both get to 90 MPH, and the 2022 MY LR to 86 MPH. Basically nothing in it, although their is a fair bit of difference in their 0-60, so most of the difference is in "shove" 0-40 MPH.

So unless you are "away-from-the-lights" I doubt you'll notice much difference

Only did a single Google search for Specs but it said S85D 0-60 was 4.4 sec. Same source says that my MS LR is 3.8 sec, M3 LR is 4.4 sec and MY LR is 5.0 sec (and MYP is 3.7 sec)

Reactions: 4monks
not sure what attraction the P would be other than for the badge

AB is tempting for sure. It’s a big car, high up. Doesn’t need to be supercar quick. I’ve been less inclined to floor the Y than I did the 3

I agree. I find the MY is much less precise than the M3 and as such it needs some attention. I haven't driven the MYP (nor M3P) - it may be different setup / tuning to improve that, but if not I think I would find it pretty unnerving. As such I wonder if the AB upgrade would be unnerving for that reason. The M3 is very tight - I liken it to a hot hatch. The MY is definitely not like that.

I previously had a Model-S performance, since traded in for a bog standard MS LR. The MSP was rock solid on launch, even on a bend ... in the wet. Whereas all the Model-S I have driven - loaners and my current MS - have all scrabbled a bit at launch, and could lose traction in the wet. So it may be that M3P and MYP also have that sort of improvement / tuning ... but I am guessing that won't be the case for the AB. (Pretty sure you can return-for-refund within a few days if it turned that you didn't like it for any reason :) )

Be interested to hear from people who have owned both M3P and MYP how they would compare them

Maybe it’s all the stuff noticeably rolling round the boot!

When I had the MSP that was more "anything in the cabin that was not nailed down is now IN the boot" :)

There are a number of comparison videos out there that show the differences in drive / performance between the MYP and MYLR. The obvious physical differences are: 1) Different rear motor 980 / 990 - plenty of debate on this in the Y and 3 forums 2) Rear wheels are 275 section vs 255 section 3) MYP sits an inch or so lower.