Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP UK Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also got the "choose a slot" text today.

Screenshot 2022-10-31 at 14.05.16.png

Sadly, this is where I think I get off the MYP bus :( MCU2 upgrade on the MX pencilled in for Thursday, so I've just texted and asked to defer.

I have a MY LR already and have a MYP on order with estimated delivery date Nov-Dec. I've not had a trade in value on my MY LR yet.

I was really looking forward to getting a performance but I don't see how it's possible to drive safely without parking sensors. I am waiting for now to see what happens but most likely I will be looking to postpone until this is sorted out. If that's not an option, I will probably cancel my order. The MY is a big car. There is no visibility at the front and no POV camera to compensate.

I'm all for progress so if this can be replaced with vision, great but the USS should be there until that happens. I don't know how Tesla think this is acceptable, it's a totally insane proposal. Especially in the UK where parking spaces and manoeuvring is so tight.

I don't do that much driving at the moment but I've noticed a couple of situations lately where the winter sun completely obliterates the camera view for parking as well where I've ended up being totally dependent on the USS's.

I'm surprised that's it an acceptable situation for insurers as well as it's going to result in a lot of bumps and scrapes that would otherwise have been avoided.
Yeah, it's absolutely ridiculous to have a >£60k 2022 car without parking sensors and no idea when the Tesla Vision equivalent will be available. Most UK customers would be using parking sensors daily, I'd imagine, especially those of us often in cities. Such a frustrating move and makes it clear how little Tesla actually care about the customer IMO.

Reactions: DeejUK
There is a world wide shortage on parking sensors which would ruin the Tesla Q4 sale’s performance. Elon doesn’t like external sources like that effecting his business and he wants his Tesla Vision team to solely focus on making the cameras in the 2023 model do the work that the sensors did.
I watched the clips from Lex Fridman's interview with Andrej last night, and was thinking about posting them here. I see Tesla's point of view, but it's not a customer-friendly move. It makes most sense for Tesla in the long run, but not customers in the short term. In my eyes, it's further confirmation that Tesla is at a scale where it doesn't need to worry about keeping individual customers happy.

An extremely cynical take is that we Tesla customers are a means to Elon's end of autonomous transport and perhaps AGI. Just like social media users are given free software so that they can be exploited for the data, we're paying large sums of money for cool cars, that just happen to go and do all the data collection so that Tesla can achieve their FSD dreams. We're extremely well-motived trainers of the machine learning, in that if we don't intervene when it cocks up then we have a car crash - there aren't many crowdsourced ML approaches that involve that level of incentivisation! Tesla's goal of autonomous transport is worth more to them than keeping paying customers happy in the here-and-now.

I watched the clips from Lex Fridman's interview with Andrej last night, and was thinking about posting them here. I see Tesla's point of view, but it's not a customer-friendly move. It makes most sense for Tesla in the long run, but not customers in the short term. In my eyes, it's further confirmation that Tesla is at a scale where it doesn't need to worry about keeping individual customers happy.

An extremely cynical take is that we Tesla customers are a means to Elon's end of autonomous transport and perhaps AGI. Just like social media users are given free software so that they can be exploited for the data, we're paying large sums of money for cool cars, that just happen to go and do all the data collection and gathering so that Tesla achieve their FSD dreams. That goal is worth more to them than keeping paying customers happy in the here-and-now.
I watched this too. All about 'systems' and not a single mention of the customer or end-user and what we might want or need.

Just got my text from Tesla. Collecting from Bluewater on Saturday, 26 November! So there is proof many of us are getting our cars. All I’ve got to do is go to the bank pay for it and turn up with my passport as proof of ID, hopefully it’s as simple as that!

MYP, Blue. Black. Just got text to collect 19th 1pm
Awesome!! Looking forward to seeing MYP's on the road.

Order date?

You came so close!
Yeah. I wonder how it looks to y'all, probably a bit bonkers. I'm a bit bummed out - I was looking forward to a faster new car without silly doors. There are a lot of factors leading to me backing out.
  • General loss of faith in Tesla to deliver anything "coming soon"
  • General loss of goodwill in Tesla as a good company that I want to support, as opposed to just the company that sells a thing that I want
  • TeslaVision's Park Assist "coming soon"
  • Trading in my MX means losing free Supercharging and Premium Connectivity
  • Switching to the MYP will cost me about £20k that could go towards a barn conversion
  • Realisation that after a CCS upgrade and MCU2 upgrade, the MYP probably isn't that much better than my MX. A second faster to 60mph, tow hitch, and fold-flat back seats are probably the main things.
It's been literally years of looking forward to the MY. As soon as it was announced, I was expecting it to be ready by the time my finance was due to finish on the MX. We'd never wanted to be 'flashy car people', and wanted to 'downgrade' rather than keep spending on cars £100k+ every four years. Back then, I think I was expecting newer AP hardware to be lightyears ahead of what my MX can do, and range to be significantly larger. I think I said to my missus "There's no way we're paying £50k to keep an out-of-warranty, out-of-date car when we can get a much better one new for £70k". The warranty on the MX worries me, but the MYP might not be that much better than what I've got.

I'm looking forward to reading how you all get on, how TeslaVision performs, and how much you enjoy the cars. I don't want to be a contagious Negative Nancy, and I wish I was going through the excitement that you folks who are continuing with your orders are :) I might also reconsider once the TeslaVision situation is clarified, the Midnight Cherry Red is available, and maybe if I go back to work (been funemployed since selling my main company).

Yeah. I wonder how it looks to y'all, probably a bit bonkers. I'm a bit bummed out - I was looking forward to a faster new car without silly doors. There are a lot of factors leading to me backing out.
  • General loss of faith in Tesla to deliver anything "coming soon"
  • General loss of goodwill in Tesla as a good company that I want to support, as opposed to just the company that sells a thing that I want
  • TeslaVision's Park Assist "coming soon"
  • Trading in my MX means losing free Supercharging and Premium Connectivity
  • Switching to the MYP will cost me about £20k that could go towards a barn conversion
  • Realisation that after a CCS upgrade and MCU2 upgrade, the MYP probably isn't that much better than my MX. A second faster to 60mph, tow hitch, and fold-flat back seats are probably the main things.
It's been literally years of looking forward to the MY. As soon as it was announced, I was expecting it to be ready by the time my finance was due to finish on the MX. We'd never wanted to be 'flashy car people', and wanted to 'downgrade' rather than keep spending on cars £100k+ every four years. Back then, I think I was expecting newer AP hardware to be lightyears ahead of what my MX can do, and range to be significantly larger. I think I said to my missus "There's no way we're paying £50k to keep an out-of-warranty, out-of-date car when we can get a much better one new for £70k". The warranty on the MX worries me, but the MYP might not be that much better than what I've got.

I'm looking forward to reading how you all get on, how TeslaVision performs, and how much you enjoy the cars. I don't want to be a contagious Negative Nancy, and I wish I was going through the excitement that you folks who are continuing with your orders are :) I might also reconsider once the TeslaVision situation is clarified, the Midnight Cherry Red is available, and maybe if I go back to work (been funemployed since selling my main company).
All fair points. You could always get one in a new colour and with Tesla Vision 'next year'...

All these cars with collection dates I assume are coming from the GLOVIS SUMMIT which is due to arrive on the 16th and the ones with the EDD in December (like mine) are probably on RCC EUROPE. Does anyone have an ETA for that second ship? I've looked on trackers but it just shows arriving in Singapore to refuel today.