Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP uneven tire wear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2022 MYP riding on 19" Gemini wheels (stock OEM tires). Recently the car got an unpatchable tire puncture in the rear tire (America's Tire refused to patch it due to location of the hole). Even though the tires only have 10k miles on them, both rear tires are showing significantly worse wear on the inner surface (down to 4/32" and balding) despite the middle & outter section being 6-8/32". For some reason my rear tires are being worn away mostly on the inner tires. Is this common for MYP, and likely I'll need to get a tire alignment once the new tires are mounted on?

That's normal. Tons of threads on this in the Driving Dynamics forum. Rear camber is non adjustable on the MYP.

Go get your tire plugged at a different shop or DIY it - unless the puncture is really really close to the sidewall. 90% of the outer tread bar is fine, most shops won't touch it though even though plugs/patches don't fail in this location.

You could take your car to a mom and pop alignment shop that knows what they're doing and armed with information about your present state of alignment and what is needed, then go to Mountain Pass Performance and buy the appropriate aftermarket parts that would help fix the issue (such as adjustable camber arms, toe arms, etc.).

That's normal. Tons of threads on this in the Driving Dynamics forum. Rear camber is non adjustable on the MYP.

Go get your tire plugged at a different shop or DIY it - unless the puncture is really really close to the sidewall. 90% of the outer tread bar is fine, most shops won't touch it though even though plugs/patches don't fail in this location.

I've already DIY the plug but still having decent amount of leak 2-3 psi a day. Even if I could fully seal the leak my two rear tires are still pretty worn out for the inner surface. Might have to bite the bullet and get new tires since this is the family car and the wife probably can't manage a blow out on her own.

Regarding non-adjustable rear camber: basically don't even bother getting an alignment check for the MYP with uneven rear tire wear unless I go after market adjustable camber system?

Yeah, the aftermarket links can get the camber closer to 0 degrees, which will bring your rear treadlife up a bit. I'd only bother doing this if you plan on keeping the car a long time though. The links, installation, and alignment probably put you close to $1k all said and done. Easier to just rotate every 5,000 miles (since you have a square 19" tire setup) and buy new tires every 20k+. :)

It is nearly impossible that any of your tires can be at 9/32" - the 21" Michelins start at 9/32" when brand new. (Pirellis are 9/32" front and 8/32" rear) Or try a different gauge. :)
Thanks for the correction. Just checked again, and it was between 8.4-8.7 ish.

1677008156249.png

Reactions: kpanda17
20" induction tires front and back. followed tire rotation intervals. inner tire wear mentioned in the work order after tire rotation yesterday. recommend replace all tires. only 20k+ miles

Attachments

• IMG_4841.jpeg
    IMG_4841.jpeg
    402.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_4842.jpeg
    IMG_4842.jpeg
    509.7 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_4859.jpeg
    IMG_4859.jpeg
    513.1 KB · Views: 89
One “rotation” method can be, buy a pair of 295s and add them in
now F255/R275
then 275/295 A Pattern @ 8K
then 255/295 B 16K
then 255/275 C 24K
them 275/295 A 32K
then 255/275 C 40K
then 255/295 B 49K
At 57K miles use 255 40k 275 32K . 295 32K
rears wear the fastest, therefore they have the less rotations

been thinking about for my MYP, but all four are wearing the same

20" induction tires front and back. followed tire rotation intervals. inner tire wear mentioned in the work order after tire rotation yesterday. recommend replace all tires. only 20k+ miles
That looks terrible.

I’d be curious to know how you drive. That type of wear definitely isn’t an anomaly. So I would safely assume you do a lot of highway driving and/or you drive at ‘higher’ rates of speed quite regularly for that type of wear to occur. Your tires are almost shredding in that one photo. And I’ll also add, ‘Good Year’ tires are garbage quality. So there’s that too.

Reactions: Du30