Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP w/19” Geminis in the snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jebinc

Jun 19, 2019
Seattle area
Looking for feedback from Model Y owners running 19” Geminis, with stock Contintal ProContact RX tires in the winter - snow and ice conditions. Ideally, if you con contrast that with a Subaru CrossTrek or Outback as delivered experience. Have had many Outback’s and a 2021 Crostrek 2.5 Limited. Never thought twice about taking any Subaru out in any weather. Very weary about the Plaid and MYP - even with 19s and Conti all seasons. Discussion…

Last year, I thought my 19" MY was mediocre in the snow. It was fairly easy to slide in turns and braking was just OK. It was a better than our FWD minivan, but not even close to as good as a 4x4 F150 with all seasons.

If I had to drive a MY in the snow a lot, I'd want better tires for the snow. At 22k miles, I've got only 1/2 of the tread that I had last year. I'm curious how much worse the snow performance will be. No snow in my area yet.

Reactions: jebinc
MYP w stock Pirellis on Übers… and a secondary set of 19” Gemini also w stock Continentals (which I don’t like)….

Soon as the stock Continental 19” tires are dead - I’ll get a better set of all seasons. I’ll also widen the aspect ratio of the Über tires to 265 front & 285 rear… or wider…

Back on track - I always run summer wheels/tires and winter/tires. So my 19” tires will be geared toward water evacuation and snow traction.

Reactions: Corndart
So, a big downgrade from a Subaru, then…..
I wouldn't say that. The traction control and ABS work very well. The low rolling resistance all season tires are a big downgrade from the tires on most other vehicles for snow. Put on a good set of all season tires for occasional light snow, all weather tires for moderate snow regions, or winter tires for regions with lots of winter weather. The car is fine for snow, the EV-optomized tires are not.

I don't have to drive in the snow much, but would like more capability there. When I replace my Continental tires, I'll consider the quatracs or Pilot Sport AS4s. My lifetime Wh/mi is 242. My consumption will increase to ~260 with those, but I'll adjust.

• Informative
It gets by ok but is by far the worst car I’ve ever owned for the snow. First time in my life I’ve felt like I need snow tires on a vehicle.

Same. This is the 12th car I've owned and it's the worst in the snow hands down. It's the first time I've bought snows in a long time and even with top of the line snow tires and chill mode on it will lose control sometimes due to overzealous regen braking. You learn to leave a lot more space than I normally would even in slippery conditions.

The car needs a snow mode badly, or at least an option to disable regen. But hey, at least we can play sonic when we're waiting in a ditch somewhere.

Reactions: Corndart and DrGriz
Same. This is the 12th car I've owned and it's the worst in the snow hands down. It's the first time I've bought snows in a long time and even with top of the line snow tires and chill mode on it will lose control sometimes due to overzealous regen braking. You learn to leave a lot more space than I normally would even in slippery conditions.

The car needs a snow mode badly, or at least an option to disable regen. But hey, at least we can play sonic when we're waiting in a ditch somewhere.
Right, games have priority over functionality. Anyone know why Tesla took away the regen settings in the UI? What possibly could have been the rationale for doing that?

• Funny
Reactions: Corndart
Agreed with all above, lack of snow mode seems like an easy lift for Tesla to incorporate into an update. Hell maybe even gate it behind a temperature check. The car has both GPS positional awareness and temp sensor(s?), this doesn't seem difficult to even enable by default when conditions warrant.

Agreed with all above, lack of snow mode seems like an easy lift for Tesla to incorporate into an update. Hell maybe even gate it behind a temperature check. The car has both GPS positional awareness and temp sensor(s?), this doesn't seem difficult to even enable by default when conditions warrant.
We once has this ability, but Telsa took it away for some unknown (to us) reason....

I forgot about the regen issue newer cars have. Mine is a June 2020, and I can adjust the regen. I have a snow profile that sets low regen, chill, and roll.
What? I also have a June 2020 MYP, it no snow mode… I have to manually change to chill (maybe…) and roll and low regen… but a coast mode (with no regen) would be a great move.

I still think Tesla will release a snow mode. They have already (though late) introduced car wash mode and blind spot camera visuals while turn signals engaged.

Crossing fingers.

I was out last night in some bad road conditions. The MYP handled it amazingly well after changing three settings.

1. Switched to Chill
2. Switched on Off-Road Assist (I think that’s what it’s called)
3. Used S3XY buttons to reduce regen to 25% (sometimes 0%)

That eliminated the back-end happy moments entirely. IMHO the S3XY buttons are worth the somewhat high price of admission solely for their ability to reduce regen.

I do have really good winter tires, but have tried with and without the above settings. Big difference.

You can modulate the go pedal and eliminate regen with your foot for free, but I found it difficult to retrain my 56 year old brain.

Reactions: DrGriz
I was out last night in some bad road conditions. The MYP handled it amazingly well after changing three settings.

1. Switched to Chill
2. Switched on Off-Road Assist (I think that’s what it’s called)
3. Used S3XY buttons to reduce regen to 25% (sometimes 0%)

That eliminated the back-end happy moments entirely. IMHO the S3XY buttons are worth the somewhat high price of admission solely for their ability to reduce regen.

I do have really good winter tires, but have tried with and without the above settings. Big difference.

You can modulate the go pedal and eliminate regen with your foot for free, but I found it difficult to retrain my 56 year old brain.
Thanks for posting this!

What? I also have a June 2020 MYP, it no snow mode… I have to manually change to chill (maybe…) and roll and low regen… but a coast mode (with no regen) would be a great move.

I still think Tesla will release a snow mode. They have already (though late) introduced car wash mode and blind spot camera visuals while turn signals engaged.

Crossing fingers.
Sorry for the confusion. I don't have a snow mode. I have a driver profile that I named "snow" that has the settings I like for snow (low regen, chill, roll).

Reactions: 52 16 57 39

And until the next update we can put on a holiday light show in the ditch! I wonder how much company resource goes into this crap that could be used to improve the car as a car rather than as a tech toy?

Keith