Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

myQ improved?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received an email about trying the improved MyQ release as a 30 day trial. I received the email on September 6th 2023. I tried activating the new trial of MyQ from the email offer link and it appeared that it worked. I received a message of from the installation that it was activated and to "enjoy" the product. Well it did not work and I kept trying to install and activate on the web, app and through my Model 3 display.

Anyone else have issues reinstalling the MyQ 30 day trial?

Does using myQ in a Tesla require a paid myQ subscription (after any free trial period)? I have a myQ compatible opener and the myQ app on my phone, but I don’t pay anything to use that. I have a new Model Y on order and am trying to decide whether to pay for Homelink. Both of our current Teslas came with Homelink as standard equipment.
Same reason I am here. You asked the question for my wife. :)

I received an email about trying the improved MyQ release as a 30 day trial. I received the email on September 6th 2023. I tried activating the new trial of MyQ from the email offer link and it appeared that it worked. I received a message of from the installation that it was activated and to "enjoy" the product. Well it did not work and I kept trying to install and activate on the web, app and through my Model 3 display.

Anyone else have issues reinstalling the MyQ 30 day trial?
I've never trusted myQ since I went through h*ll installing a WiFi enabled garage door opener that had install instructions in the printed guide, online, and in the myQ app. ALL of them were different, and NONE of them worked. In the end I used my tech knowledge to work around the nonsense, but it's clear "myQ" dont have high "IQ" when it comes to technology.

Anyone else have issues reinstalling the MyQ 30 day t
So I reached out to Chamberlain to help me fix my installation issue. MyQ said it was installed and active but it would not appear on my MCU . I originally received the MyQ invitation on 09/06/23 and did not try to install and get the 30 day trial until the week of 09/11/23. I initially went to install from the email using the web. After two tries I went to the car and used a QR code to install the app. Did not work. I stopped wasting my time and decided to try tech support on 9/19/23.

At first Chamberlain walked me through all the steps and as before it did not work. I explained I had tried multiple times over the past week and was ready to forget about the product. The tech support person escalated the problem and assured she would have an answer the next day 09/20/23.

I received a call and was told that the trial expired on Sunday 09/17/23. Well I explained that I had tried numerous times prior to 9/17 but had only thought of calling tech support in frustration on 09/19. They told me they could not do anything except offer a 10% discount on any subscription. I asked if they could let me try the new version under a 30 day trial, I was only 2 days beyond the supposed expiration. Also that I did in good faith try to get it to work PRIOR to 9/17. Well they came back and upped the discount to 15%, really? I asked if I bought it and did not like the app would they refund my money, no response on that.

Do they want customers or just a money grab on a subscription service that is not proven to be effective in its supposed value. I tried the first release and it was very spotty. I am a customer, I have their garage opener, I have their outside keypad, I have MyQ on my phone so I can activate my door. You would think that Chamberlain would allow me get the trial as promoted in their email. I would like to also note that the email did not have an expiration date.

W
Hey Techie, I'm not following you on this. Go into the settings in the car, or the MyQ app on my phone? Only have 1 garage. It almost always does the light blink, but occasionally will lower right away. After reading up on this, it seems many have this problem.

I had homelink installed on my previous M3 and it worked like a charm. Thought I could go the MyQ route this time and save some money. Already paid for a year service with MyQ, so I'm kind of stuck now unless I just eat that and get homelink again. Wish I had from the start this time around.
Go into the myQ connected garage settings in the car (in the LOCK menu). You'll see ability to configure auto close and open, set home location, etc. If you set home location properly (press the button when you park right outside of the garage), then it should skip the light blink UNLESS you live in a location with poor GPS. I believe it uses GPS to ensure you are close to home. If GPS is not available or you have poor coverage, the system defaults to light blink for safety.

Reactions: Lexdysic
Tried MyQ in its first release for my Tesla and it was horrible. Very spotty performance and did not see any value to it. I tried to get it working recently as a new trial offer but that was a bad experience not only with it working but with Chamberlains support. Long story, short version, I would not waste my money on a spotty app that is made by a company that can care less about customer service and support. Another point, I am really tired of all these "subscription" services, it all adds up over time. If you buy a Chamberlain door opener they should offer MyQ as an feature of their product and not milk the customer yearly, maybe a one-time charge of $40, IMO.

Reactions: drtimhill
W

Go into the myQ connected garage settings in the car (in the LOCK menu). You'll see ability to configure auto close and open, set home location, etc. If you set home location properly (press the button when you park right outside of the garage), then it should skip the light blink UNLESS you live in a location with poor GPS. I believe it uses GPS to ensure you are close to home. If GPS is not available or you have poor coverage, the system defaults to light blink for safety.

Thanks Techie. It's weird- sometimes it blinks, other times it doesn't. GPS isn't an issue in my area- good signal. The most important thing is having the confidence that the garage will close, blinks or no. It has. In a perfect world, it would close immediately.

Although I’ve previously had issues where the MyQ close commands would sometimes blink and flash before closing (about half the time), it seems like there has been a change recently that addressed the issue. I’m not sure if it was a fix on MyQ’s side or part of a recent Tesla update, but I’ve had at least a week straight now with all instant closes with no blinks or flashes first.

I started the free trial but not really seeing much of a benefit. The blinking for 10 seconds before closing part is annoying for one. And it's not letting me open it from farther than 100 feet away so just like Homelink.

Is there really much of a benefit? I only looked into it because Homelink on the P85 was so weak. The new Model S seems to open from about 80 feet so much better.

I started the free trial but not really seeing much of a benefit. The blinking for 10 seconds before closing part is annoying for one. And it's not letting me open it from farther than 100 feet away so just like Homelink.

Is there really much of a benefit? I only looked into it because Homelink on the P85 was so weak. The new Model S seems to open from about 80 feet so much better.
MyQ have always been, and will always be, clueless when it comes to technology. I’m always surprised when my garage door DOES open in response to the app. I’ll stick to HomeLink until there is a non-myQ alternative (or use one of the after-market add-ons).

Reactions: dsm363 and El joe
Their “support” is brutal. Three months ago, I spent two hours on a call with them as my password wouldn’t reset and they submitted a ticket to escalate my issue, promising they’d get back to me within seven days. I still haven’t heard back from them.

I’m glad that happened during the trial and not after I subscribed.