Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MyQ quirk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed that after turning off sentry mode while at home, the MyQ has issues autoclosing the door or if it does, it does the beeping thing. I’m guessing the car is now sleeping at night and either doesn’t reconnect fast enough before we leave, or letting the car sleep at all resets the MyQ so it doesn’t think we are at home anymore when doing the autoclose. Anyone else notice this pattern?

It’s really annoying and sad after paying for a 5-year plan.

Did you try resetting your home location? That worked for me.
I was planning to reset it but this morning I waited in the garage till I saw the wifi reconnect (the car sleeps after the morning charge). Then, when I backed out, it automatically closed without beeping. Maybe if it’s not on wifi, it will go by GPS location and LTE, so I still need to reset it for some reason.

Tried redoing the garage location setting and it’s still hit or miss if it beeps as if we weren’t at home when it closes.

Sort of a joke the integration is so inconsistent with being able to determine where the vehicle is and that I literally just backed out of the garage AND it knew I just did that because it autoclosed based on how many feet I rolled out of the garage BUT still can’t consistently communicate that it’s safe to close the garage without the delay and beeping.

Two things, yes that happens sometimes to me. Second, mine has stopped connecting to MyQ servers. I can't figure out to how make it reconnect. I thought that maybe the "free" trial had ended but there's no way to pay for it yet so that can't be it.

On an unrelated note. When I installed it on the first day it came out I was amazed. I drove up my drive way, backed in my garage and pulled away at least 5 or 6 times. On my last trip home I pulled in my driveway to watch the light show on my garage doors. Of course the garage door went up when I pulled in so I manually put it down to watch the show. When the show was over my son put the garage door up to go inside. I pulled to the end of my driveway to turn around in the street. As I backed towards my garage door the door was up. I slowed down at my door to make sure I was clearing my mirrors. As I started backing up again I heard a crunch so I pulled forward. The garage door activated itself putting the door down and hit the top of my trunk which now has white paint and scratches all over it and the bottom two panels on my garage door need replaced.
Oof. So sorry to hear this! This was exactly the reason I didn’t use the geofence with homelink in my model 3. Too many instances of garage doors coming down on top of cars, and almost had it happen to me. I was hoping the geofence in MyQ would be smarter, since it knows the state of the garage door, but you just confirmed for me that it still can’t be trusted 100%. As it stands, it’s a slight improvement over homelink, in that I can use it to auto open, but auto close remains a problem.

I just got my email notice that my free trial is ending soon. Guess no more extensions?

991E9EF5-F740-401B-B6C8-B29B318869FE.jpeg

The immediate closing seems to be hit or miss for me, too. I actually didn’t realize immediate closing was an advertised feature of this integration, as I was always used to the flashing/beeping when using the MyQ app on my phone, so when it closed immediately one day, from the car, I wondered if I had somehow triggered homelink in my 2018 model 3, instead of MyQ (but I didn’t re-link homelink when I had my garage door circuit board replaced, and since we use MyQ with our model Y, decided to just use MyQ). I think I get the delayed closing behavior 90% of the time and immediate closure is by far the exception to the rule.

Would be nice to have immediate closure all the time when in proximity to the house.

Pulled out this morning and got the light show. Auto close seems to be still a dream of MyQ and not the reality.

Since I got the problems I had resolved and paid for the year I have had no issues with it working so far. I can live with the slow close as long as it's working overall.

Reactions: ValenciaUSC
Today my geofence failed to trigger my door to open when I got home. Had to go to the my MyQ app on my phone, and even then, after the door opened, my Tesla continued to show the door state as “closed.” That’s a new one for me. I’ll have to see if it persists.

Reactions: ValenciaUSC
Mine did the same after the software update. I realized I had to set the home location for it to stop flashing and beeping when closing. Also you have to be near the garage, otherwise it defaults to the flashing and beeping. For safety, I guess.
Could you explain how/where to set the home location you mentioned? Is this the Tesla Navigation home Orin the MyQ app? Thanks.

I gave up on MyQ. About 3 weeks ago, their servers were down 8 hours so it didn't work at all. Then a few days later, my home ISP was down just as I arrived home, so again it didn't work.

No warning when I was at or near the end of the 30 day trial. So they just turned off the service without warning. No text, notification or email to consider subscribing. Phone App worked, Tesla did not.

I am back 100% on Homelink. 100% reliable, no fees. But yes, have to pay attention to door if open or closed when I approach it.

Seems since the latest couple updates, myQ cannot immediately close the door. I frequently see “error” when getting in the car now too. It either cannot close at all due to the error or it flashes with a delay.

What a joke integration. Especially those that have paid for this “premium” feature.

Seems since the latest couple updates, myQ cannot immediately close the door. I frequently see “error” when getting in the car now too. It either cannot close at all due to the error or it flashes with a delay.

What a joke integration. Especially those that have paid for this “premium” feature.
I thought it was just me, having the same issue. I ditched it and now use the physical garage remote and the myQ app on my phone\watch as backup.

Reactions: blulegend
Is anyone still able to get their door to close automatically without beeping and flashing with myQ integration currently? Looks like maybe the software was updated earlier in the year and it's beeping and flashing for everyone now?

Just trying to figure out if I should continue digging into troubleshooting, or stop wasting my time.

P.S. I have a 2020 Liftmaster unit with myQ built in, but I also got the Chamberlain Smart Control hub. Not sure if it's worth installing the hub- will it stop the beeping and flashing?