Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mysterious static/hissing noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for help troubleshooting:

Recently picked up my new Tesla M3 and after a day of driving noticed this sound coming from underneath/behind the glove box. (Link to the sound -
). I notice that it comes on after driving the car for a short amount of time and stays on even if the car is off. I have done everything I can think of (disconnecting blue tooth, adjusting speaker balance, playing multiple alert sounds, etc) to try and see if I could pin point a cause. But nothing works, it’s just persistent as ever.

Took it into the service center and they thought it was an “emergency speaker” that was malfunctioning. They replaced it after a week, yet on my drive home (after I sat in the service center parking lot for 30 min) it was back. So I’m turning to the brilliant minds of this forum for help before my next visit... any thoughts?

Appreciate any ideas to help me and/or the service center figure this out. Thanks.

The link again:

Could it be related to the air conditioning? It sounds like the hiss of an expansion valve, possibly with low levels of gas. Try not driving but running the AC for a few minutes when it's hot outside and see if that triggers it.

Could it be related to the air conditioning? It sounds like the hiss of an expansion valve, possibly with low levels of gas. Try not driving but running the AC for a few minutes when it's hot outside and see if that triggers it.

Initially that’s what I thought as well. But haven’t been able to identify a trigger. Once it’s starts it does not seem to go away until the car is parked for some time (couple hours). I’ll give your idea a shot

Service center was fairly convinced it was the speaker.. but I am skeptical since getting it back from them with this unresolved issue..

I heard this noise the other day and pulled over to try to figure it out. It went away after about 5 minutes of being on and I haven't heard it since. I also though it sounds like it was coming from behind the glove-box. Its a very subtle sound, but my ears picked it up.

The pumps that deal with the HVAC and cooling system for the battery and electrical components are roughly in that area I believe, so I am guessing it is a sound related to the cooling system.

Picked up my car a few weeks ago, and noticed the exact same sound on my drive to work this morning. I initially thought it was coming from the right front door speaker and upon further inspection after I parked, I noticed it came from under the glovebox. While hearing it, I tried things like turning off a/c, changing radio stations, turning down radio, but nothing seemed to work. It did go away upon re-entering the car after making a quick 10 minute stop at the store. After looking through various forums, some service centers have said it is normal, which I do not believe. Any solutions will definitely be helpful.

Please Help! - Strange noise coming from the passenger side footwell

Hoping to get some help from someone as Tesla Service has no idea.

This sound is coming from the passenger side footwell of my Model 3. It is sporadic, but kinda annoying.

Happens sometimes while driving (harder to hear), but I usually hear it best when i have just parked.

Has anyone experienced this noise, and if so, has Tesla been able to help find the cause for you?

I'm wondering if it's the watercooling for the computer... but the problem is that when i brought it in to Tesla... they couldn't repeat the sound.

Thanks!

Same here.

There is a speaker in the panel below the glovebox. You can see it at 2:36 into this video:

I just took delivery of my car today. I have this hissing sound. It is quite enough that I can't really hear it unless the music is off and the fans are off. It seems to be coming from the upper left part of the underside of the glovebox area. Based on listening to it in person and reading this thread, I can't say for sure if it is the speaker shown in the video here or if it is something else though.

My car just started to make this noise. It's not the speaker. If you take off the panel under the glove box, you'll see the speaker. Put your ear up to it and it's silent. The noise is coming from the HVAC unit in the front center area, under and behind the front USB ports. If you take the side panel off to expose the HVAC unit, you'll hear the noise more prominently. The "where is the cabin air filter" video above shows you how to remove all the panels.

Man this noise is really annoying. I was sitting in my car last night after installing 42.2 and it was so loud that I just had to get out and walk away. Normally while driving the road and music noise will drown it out. I had no luck getting it fixed by the SC or mobile tech recently, but I may have to take it back.

I am betting HVAC. HVAC systems are loud and we’re not used to hearing them because ICE engines drown them out. On my old diesel I would notice a near roar out of the HVAC after I got out of the car if the weather was hot. It’d last about ten minutes give or take as it worked to keep the engine from melting...

Likely HVAC. Today was the first day I leaned heavily on my HVAC system. The morning commute was right at freezing temps outside, and I had the heat on (noticed the A/C was also on for dehumidifying purposes). The noise kicked in about 45 min. Once it started, turning HVAC off/on makes no difference. I don't think this is evidence pointing away from HVAC source. The sound really does feel like refrigerant-in-a-pipe kind of noise.

The afternoon commute was a much more comfortable 55F outside. I didn't run the HVAC at all. No sound ever appeared.

Reactions: natebrownohio