Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mystery at Foxborough: a Model X Security Head-Scratcher

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sent this to Tesla for analysis to pull the logs, and they haven't gotten back to me for ten days, so I offer this mystery to the TMC community for your consideration. Here's what happened:
  • Monday Night Football at Gillette Stadium, with my Model X parked in the stadium lot. Walk-away lock set by default, and key fob in my pocket.
  • Early in the fourth quarter, my Tesla app sends me a phone alert saying my alarm was sounding. Not much I could do, and I wasn't going to bail on a tight game just to get an earlier glimpse of a pile of broken glass. I waited till the game was done to check it out.
  • When I arrived at the car, a totally inebriated guy was asleep in the front passenger seat, apparently with the door locked. No sign of forced entry.
  • We get the guy out of the car and security takes care of him...but the mystery remains. He was slammed so we couldn't get any answers from him about how he got into the car.
  • Nearby security confirms that the car alarm had sounded. They apparently didn't check it out enough to see the drunk guy asleep in the front seat.
So here's the question: How is it possible for a guy to get into my car without any trace of forced entry, but setting off the alarm nonetheless?

As I mentioned, I've asked Tesla Service to pull the logs and see if there are clues.

But I'm wondering whether anyone can construct a scenario that fits these facts? Is there a security bug we don't (yet) know about?

Drunken Style car-break-in? Guy sounds professional.

I've heard of cases where people lock their X and return to find the doors wide open. I suspect that's what happened here and the guy took advantage of it. I would contact Tesla and have them pull your logs. Give them the exact date/time you got the alarm message.

I've had this happen before. Since the keyfob is Bluetooth based it has a very long range. While you were walking away and after the doors locked you could have accidentally pressed the unlock button if the key was in your pocket. I've been at a restaurant with the car parked close by and have looked out the windows to see people gawking at my car because the falcon wing door was open after I sat down with the key in my pocket and the unlock button must have been pressed.

There is trunk release behind the wheel well. It's for first responders, but a drunk familiar with cars would know about the potential for this. It's used in more than the Tesla. Like for example the Porsche Boxster has it. But, if this happened wouldn't the alarm have gone off as soon as the trunk opened? First responders don't care about a stupid car alarm going off.

The only other possibility is the drunk got into the car before the car auto-locked, and for some reason it took forever to trigger the alarm. In my own testing of my Jeep wrangler it took the alarm quite a bit of movement to activate. You should probably test the Model X to see how easily it triggers.

I personally don't use auto-lock because I'm OCD, and I like to know when something has locked. I don't have blind faith in the car doing it.

There is a known issue with the door latches that can lead to unexpected door opening, which in turn causes the alarm to go off. I've had the same issue with my X (minus the drunk guy sleeping in it) and am currently waiting for replacement latches to arrive at the SC. They discovered it because I wrote down the exact dates/times when the alarm went off, and also when the door mysteriously opened on its own (even when driving!) and the SC techs found it in the logs.

• Informative
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS and GSP
I did get the exact times to Tesla, and they've promised to look into it, but it's now been two weeks and...nothing. I'm intrigued by the post by @gmtom1 -- that certainly sounds like a plausible explanation: doors open up, alarm goes off, drunk guy looks for a place to warm up and climbs inside...

One lesson for me is not to rely totally on the walk-away door lock to secure the vehicle. The latest software update has a "triple press" locking feature that appears to lock the car more positively and prevent inadvertent opening by "butt pressing" the key fob.

Will let everyone know if/when I hear from Tesla on this.

From the repair order where I reported the mystery door issue on my X:

Corrections: Closure Assist Mechanisms and Hinges General Diagnosis
Reviewed vehicle data logs for timestamp provided by customer. Verified door latch reported "open" for 1 second while customer was driving. Performed wiring and component tests. Recommend to replace front right door latch for internal defect. Part not available at this time, ordered. Will notify customer when available.

Corrections: Keyless Entry and Security General Diagnosis
Refer to line 1 above. Issue is related to faulty right-front door latch reporting door "open" intermittently. Replacement latch is not available at this time, on order. Advised customer if he is concerned about alarm going off, he can turn it off for now until repair can be performed.

I parked to walk my dog and upon return 30 mins later found my passenger side FWD open. Nothing had been touched, and I kind of assumed I must have caused it as I put the fob in my pocket. Im no longer trusting of the walk away lock feature and I now click the fob, check to make sure my mirrors have turned in, then I walk away. Just dont like the shock of walking back to my car and finding a door not only unlocked, but wide open!