Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mystery Symbol on my New Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've just bought a new Model S 90D and after driving my first 500km suddenly noticed a grey steering wheel appearing on the RHS of the digital speed display at the wheel for the first time while driving in town. As with the cruise control on the LHS, it disappeared every time I braked and appeared again when I accelerate. It's now disappeared again altogether with no sign of it since. Can anybody tell me what this is please....
Also, I don't seem to be able to even try the auto steering. Every time I pull the lever twice I get the message that it's temporarily unavailable!
I also can't get auto park to work and have never seen the mysterious P appear. I drove past and sat next to a space yesterday, indicated left and put it in reverse, but no sign of the auto park facility switching on. Any ideas?

I've just bought a new Model S 90D and after driving my first 500km suddenly noticed a grey steering wheel appearing on the RHS of the digital speed display at the wheel for the first time while driving in town. As with the cruise control on the LHS, it disappeared every time I braked and appeared again when I accelerate. It's now disappeared again altogether with no sign of it since. Can anybody tell me what this is please....
Also, I don't seem to be able to even try the auto steering. Every time I pull the lever twice I get the message that it's temporarily unavailable!
I also can't get auto park to work and have never seen the mysterious P appear. I drove past and sat next to a space yesterday, indicated left and put it in reverse, but no sign of the auto park facility switching on. Any ideas?
The gray steering wheel on the right of the speed is letting you know that autopilot is available. Pull the tacc lever (smaller lever below blinker) towards you twice to activate. Be sure to keep your hands on the wheel at all times and read the manual regarding proper and safe use of AP.
I believe the AP is gps oriented and may be disabled if you are in an area that is known to be unsafe for its use amd/or conditions are not favorable for it to be activated.

• Informative
Reactions: Shawn Snider

Not unusual. When the feature was first released it seemed to take a while for the system to "learn" when to make the P appear. Even today, several months later, it is still erratic.

For what it's worth, when the P does appear it does a great job of getting the car into very tight spaces. But I'm not sure I want to be that close to other cars less they bump into me when leaving. Plus I can usually manually park quicker than auto park.

So, nice feature but I've not used it in months except to demonstrate it.

Autosteer is location restricted to certain approved roads on Hong Kong vehicles. The grey steering icon indicates Autosteer can be used at that time. Generally, it can be used on divided highways and cross harbour tunnels. It will not engage on city streets.

For Autopark, drive slowly past the spot until the P icon appears on the instrument panel. It can be iffy at times. You may have to drive well past the spot until the icon shows up - further past the spot than you might think is necessary.

The mysterious grey steering wheel is a sign that your vehicle has been hijacked and is being controlled from the mainland. ;)

Seriously, the other posters are correct about it indicating the availability of Autopilot. Having been to Hong Kong a number of times, I doubt that there are many roads were Autopilot is either available or appropriate/safe to use.