Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mystery Wifi Problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, here is the scenario:
  • Two homes.
  • Identical eero Wifi networks.
  • Model X will connect to Wifi at both homes and download software updates, etc.
  • Two different Model Y cars will connect at Home 1 no problem, but not Home 2 (error message: "Could not join <WIFINAME> The Internet is unreachable. Please check your firewall settings and Internet connection.")
Here is what we have tried (many many times):
  • Restarting the Model Ys
  • Restarting the eero network
  • Checking every single setting on both eero networks to make sure Home 1 and Home 2 have identical configurations.
  • Even tried changing the network SSIDs to be identical
Been trying everything we can think of for months at this point. Open to ideas.

How is the WiFi signal strength at Home #2? The WiFi antenna in the Model Y is located inside the passenger side mirror housing. Try parking closer to the house or backing into the parking space so the Model Y's WiFi antenna is closer to the router base unit. Can the router be moved even if this is just a few feet closer to the vehicle's location? You may need to try a WiFi extender to increase the coverage area.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
How is the WiFi signal strength at Home #2? The WiFi antenna in the Model Y is located inside the passenger side mirror housing. Try parking closer to the house or backing into the parking space so the Model Y's WiFi antenna is closer to the router base unit. Can the router be moved even if this is just a few feet closer to the vehicle's location? You may need to try a WiFi extender to increase the coverage area.

At Home 2, the nearest eero beacon is in the garage and about 10 feet away from the car. If I sit in the car with my phone or laptop, I get maximum WiFi signal strength. This is actually closer than the setup at Home 1.

Maybe the Model Y is seeing multiple WiFi networks from several different eero beacons. What if you were to unplug one of the eero beacons, even the one in the garage, would there be enough signal for the phone from the next closest eero beacon?

• Two homes.
  • Model X will connect to Wifi at both homes and download software updates, etc.
  • Two different Model Y cars will connect at Home 1 no problem, but not Home 2 (error message: "Could not join <WIFINAME> The Internet is unreachable. Please check your firewall settings and Internet connection.")
  • Checking every single setting on both eero networks to make sure Home 1 and Home 2 have identical configurations.
Try witching the Eero networks from one home to the other. Does it follow the eero, or does the problem stay with the home?

• Two homes.
I also have the same issue. I can only connect AFTER rebooting. I hope you see this. and wanted to know if you fixed the problem. My lifelong dream isn't taking my Y to the service center weekly. I also have had other issues (btw I have less than 4,000 miles on my Y). Touch screen failed answering calls, microphone didn't work. Music quit (from my Apple).

By any chance do both WiFi networks have the same WLAN ID and password?

as soon as I reboot I reconnect

Try witching the Eero networks from one home to the other. Does it follow the eero, or does the problem stay with the home?
me too i connect after i reboot driving me crazy

im on my tesla computer and cant see if this is responding? mcrophone wasnt typing but now allowing me to type manually?

By any chance do both WiFi networks have the same WLAN ID and password?

It's fixed. I had a conversation with another person at the Internet Service Provider--and he gave me the impression he was on some sort of forum with other people who run ISPs. He thought it was a very aggressive timeout by the car—if it could not connect to the Tesla VPN very quickly it would disconnect. Made sense to me: I would see the car join my Eero network for like less than a second. He told me he was going to “try some things”. Next day it was working. Problem solved.